Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times

Advertisements

Yet another fine example of American Exceptionalism.

For the past few weeks we have heard the US government give near daily comments on the various Middle East protests taking place. Hillary and Obama, along with their Congressional counterparts all chiming in on how Iran, Bahrain and Libya must allow peaceful protests, more like those of Tunisia and Egypt.

Of course when it comes to Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan or Yemen, those places that have US boots on the ground, things are decidedly different. You do not hear about 300 protesters in Iraq being arrested, nor do you hear Clinton saying that Iraq must allow peaceful protests to take place, in fact you hear nothing.

Once again, US policy and rhetoric is do as I say, not as we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Yes.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

For the past few weeks we have heard the US government give near daily comments on the various Middle East protests taking place. Hillary and Obama, along with their Congressional counterparts all chiming in on how Iran, Bahrain and Libya must allow peaceful protests, more like those of Tunisia and Egypt.

Of course when it comes to Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan or Yemen, those places that have US boots on the ground, things are decidedly different. You do not hear about 300 protesters in Iraq being arrested, nor do you hear Clinton saying that Iraq must allow peaceful protests to take place, in fact you hear nothing.

Yep, pretty much.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The places we encourage peaceful "change" do not have any American soldiers already there and we cannot afford to send any. We also know these countries will market their oil through OPEC so there is little threat of disruption (down) in the price of oil. I wonder if that has anything to do with our responses.

A new government in Iraq might decide to pump oil as fast as possible regardless of what it did to prices. The Afghan non government might just let each tribe shake down the pipeline operators thus putting their investment at risk. At worst the Central Asian countries might sell directly to China and India bypassing OPEC price controls. This is why we have spent so much of our resources in these places. We are the enforcement arm of OPEC just like we were the enforcement arm of United Fruit in South America in the early 1900's. This is not hypocrisy it is just good old fashioned monopoly.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM

332 posts, read 532,582 times
US Foreign Policy has always been a joke. I know it is very VERY complex but still I know there has to be better options that whatever policies the US is putting out there since it began.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Yeah. Nailed it.

Anyone remember Rwanda? What did we do then... not much
US 'Ran from Rwanda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkHJ2-zoSB4

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Iraq and Afghanistan has protests all the time. Unfortunately, a bomb usually goes off in Iraq when one occurs, but outside of that - that governments don't try to stop it or cause any violence. Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Yep, hipocracy at its finest.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Do you have some links about these protesters being arrested or not allowed to protest in Iraq or Afghanistan? I'd like to read what's being reported before I jump to any conclusions one way or the other. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Do you have some links about these protesters being arrested or not allowed to protest in Iraq or Afghanistan? I'd like to read what's being reported before I jump to any conclusions one way or the other. Thanks.
I lived for over a year in Baghdad (non-military) back in 2008 and 2009 and there were constant demonstrations. It wasn't the government or our troops that they worried about - it was the sectarian opposition or the loyalists. As for Afghanistan and Pakistan - they have demonstrations all the time and CNN even mentions them. I throw the BS flag on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies