U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 PM

7,313 posts, read 6,933,850 times

Advertisements

And no cheating off HistorianDude, either! Show your work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 PM

61,179 posts, read 31,007,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
That cop was really out of line. I'm sure he apologized more times than he ever has before.

Regardless of which side of the fence you graze on, I hope we can all agree this was a little too much, before his ID came out.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Wrong on multiple counts.

1 This was not a member of Congress

2. This was an Assemblyman who had legal access to the building. He was tackled when he tried to enter a building he had LEGAL ACCESS TO. This is an overreaction by the Cops by tackling someone who had legal access to the building.

3. He did NOT leave the state. Again this is an Assemblyman, it is the State Senators that left the state.

Assemblyman/woman is equal to a State Representative, in the Legislature.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 PM

19,503 posts, read 13,271,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Got another link?

You have to be a member to see your link.
Add to that, not everyone has access to streaming video, so a little background on the link would be appreciated in any OP.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Being that this Congressman is one of which that had fled the state, and then returning to Congress is plenty to write about. Th local news broke this store and recorded him behaving like a child or a criminal, take your pick. That, and he knew what would happen once the police found out who he was. He can't be that stupid, can he? It all goes hand in hand(Wis. unions, this incident, crowds staying at the captial, etc). As far as political waters being tested, they are and have been for both parties when it comes to their future, and who is voted in and who is voted out. An incident like this, does not help the cause on either side of the political fence.

Hold on to your hat, and snug your stampede strap!

This was a State Rep, not a Senator.

Still, no reason for that, even if he was a calm citizen.

It did take him a while to pull out his ID badge, that he was not wearing visibly.
Wondering what the motive of that was, in the shadow of the known situation at the Capitol.

Police don't just grab you like that, unless they have a very good reason, knowing media cameras are all over.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM

18,784 posts, read 14,900,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Assemblyman/woman is equal to a State Representative, in the Legislature.
Yes, I realize that......

Much like Congress, almost every state (including Wisconsin), has two chambers in the State Legislature. You have the State Assembly/ House and the State Senate. It was the State Senators that left the state, not the Assembly. The guy that got tacked was an Assemblyman, not a State Senator.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,140,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
See, this is a perfect example of why I so frequently find myself frustrated by the positions that people on the right hold. I don't have a problem with opinions genuinely arrived at by an honest review of the available information. But more often than not, what I find from the right is that they either don't pay attention well, or they don't comprehend what they've been told.

So, prove that I am wrong in your case, and go out and find a list of the legislators who have left the state, and which legislative body they serve in. Compare that list of names to the name of this legislator who was attempting to enter the building, and determine which body he serves in. Then come back and report what you've learned.

ETA: And no cheating off of Smash255's paper!
My mistake on the fleeing part, I take full responsiblity for that mess up. As far as your thought about the right (and I am guessing you are putting me there), I am neither Democrat nor Republican. I lean to what is fair and just to all, and not just a select few. And for the record, I find the left often displaces guilt and refuses to acknowledge when they are wrong.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Yes, I realize that......

Much like Congress, almost every state (including Wisconsin), has two chambers in the State Legislature. You have the State Assembly/ House and the State Senate. It was the State Senators that left the state, not the Assembly. The guy that got tacked was an Assemblyman, not a State Senator.

Thanks for defining that.
It was rather educational, for those that may be searching to define that term.

Just so there is no confusion and we are all on the same page.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM

7,313 posts, read 6,933,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post

My mistake on the fleeing part, I take full responsiblity for that mess up. As far as your thought about the right (and I am guessing you are putting me there), I am neither Democrat nor Republican. I lean to what is fair and just to all, and not just a select few. And for the record, I find the left often displaces guilt and refuses to acknowledge when they are wrong.
Thank you for the retraction. I find that your last observation is only partly and occasionally true compared to those on the right on this forum, where I find it primarily true. But therein does lie a glimmer of truth which I am honor-bound to acknowledge. Some of my left-leaning fellow-posters may or may not want to attest to the fact that when I see them doing things like that, I often call them on it.

Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies