Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
No one should have a baby - whether single or coupled - if she, he, or they are not in a financial position to do so.
I think that Natalie Portman is def. in a financial position to have a child...even just by herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Bristol didn't flaunt it ! Matter of fact it was treated with the utmost seriousness by the Palin family. Bristol even said that what she did was wrong and urged kids not to do what she did!!

THAT'S DIFFERENCE.

PORTMAN?? NOT SO MUCH....SHE IS PROUD OF THIS......And it sets an example for her young fans.
She's getting married. She's no longer a teen and way past high school. She's an adult and being quite responsible in the whole matter. She's received much less publicity than Bristol Palin did with her pregnancy. Which instance is more likely to reach teenage viewers?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
I would never vote for Huckabee, but his comments seem pretty valid. He wasn't attacking Portman, just stating a statistical fact and asking people not to glamorize a few millionaires as representative samples.

Fair enough and not hypocritical as conservative pundits who attacked Britney Spears for getting pregnant out of wedlock and then glorified Bristol Palin for doing the same simply because they agree with her politically.

Last edited by Bluefly; 03-05-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Mike always speak the truth. Most unwed moms are young, uneducated, poor, and without much hope for a better future for themselves and their child. And hollywood does always try to spin it.
What's wrong with speaking truths?
Here's the other truth you forgot to mention. Social conservatives train these girls to believe the only thing they're good for is making babies, go out there and fish/trap a man because you're nothing without someone to pay your bills. Says right here in the Bible that a woman is a man's helper. Where do welfare queens come from? Not feminists. Vote republican often enough honor will be restored and your government will deliver prince charming. Coincidence he's working the Southern Baptist crowd? I think not.

If warped religious interpretations and politics were out of marriage more people might be happily married already. Marriage is a victim of wackaloon social conservatives more than anything else. It would be a refreshing change to see them evolve and police romeo for a while. When Romeo tells them what he thinks of them, perhaps they'll be in a better position to lead by example. Pay closer attention to the hateful nonsense toward womankind in Romeo's mind. It too came from social conservatives. That's the problem.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM

161 posts, read 141,490 times
Quote:
Mike always speak the truth. Most unwed moms are young, uneducated, poor, and without much hope for a better future for themselves and their child. And hollywood does always try to spin it.
The problem is that nobody was trying to spin it. Mike was reading into it way too much and trying to start something for political gain. There's a lot of people I know that have kids that aren't married and they're just fine. I doubt people in Hollywood are glorifying single teen parents. Heck, even MTV has a show to discourage it by showing the realities of teen parenting. If you're in your 20's, educated, and successful and you want a kid, what's wrong with that?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Actually it's none of Huck's damned business what Portman does.

I sort of reminds me of the Quayle Murphy Brown saga.

What would he have Portman do, have a <<gasp>> abortion????
Then why do you post? Maybe nobody gives damn what you say.

The usual leftie tripe. "If you don't agree with me, shut up".

Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I would never vote for Huckabee, but his comments seem pretty valid. He wasn't attacking Portman, just stating a statistical fact and asking people not to glamorize a few millionaires as representative samples.

Fair enough and not hypocritical as conservative pundits who attacked Britney Spears for getting pregnant out of wedlock and then glorified Bristol Palin for getting pregnant out of wedlock and then marrying the wrong guy for her.
How was Ms. Portman glamorizing her pegnancy? By attending an awards program? Should she have stayed hidden from sight until her marriage and the birth of her child?

Who cares what Huckabee's opinions are...Will anyone on this forum adjust their lifestyle based upon his beliefs?

Its incredible what consitutes a viable Presidental candidate these days...Ill dump Huck, The Donald, and the mouth from Alaska...in the same ridiculous pile.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
He speaks the truth, but whats his point? She's keeping the baby, she could go get an abortion so she could pursue her career and wait for a man to have a baby in wedlock.

He doesn't care about the kids of the moms that he's stereotyping. Unless he can use them for votes or ratings.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Can you show me where he said "terrible moral offense"? I didn't see that.

What I did see was someone saying that the glorification of having children when you're unwed AND poor isn't helped by Portman making a point of being unwed without the additional information of being a millionaire..

I'm with you man! As much as I don't like the current crop of Republicans AT ALL, I listened to/read his words and I get what he was getting at. She's very wealthy and she can do it.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:08 PM

57 posts, read 55,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mike Huckabee slams Portman for pregnancy - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com

"Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care," he said. "And that's the story that we're not seeing."

"People see a Natalie Portman who boasts, 'we're not married but we're having these children and they're doing just fine," Huckabee told radio host Michael Medved on his show Monday. "I think it gives a distorted image. It's unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of out-of- wedlock children."

It is what it is.

Anyone else not voting for this guy besides me? If he happens to run, that is.
Don't hate the messenger. Not his fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies