U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Texas
32,891 posts, read 17,910,881 times
Reputation: 18918

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
if you get your news from a comedy show, I would not admit it in public~~
hahahahahaha
But Fox is real news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,877 posts, read 4,050,751 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I would be ashamed to compare a job paid by the taxpayers, to those NOT paid by the taxpayers.. And then to equate they are equal.. I dont need to watch the video to see the ridiculousness of it.. I can see the title of the thread.. Nope.. dont need to even get passed that to see how ashamed liberals should be for even pretending they are similar..

I have a friend who is a teacher, and so is his wife.. they are both pulling in $75K a year, despite the fact that his wife is teaching in her SECOND year.. Thats not too shabby, so stop moaning and groaning about how much they are hurting.. Their $250,000 home is paid off, they travel to other countries EVERY summer,.. (they joined me for one trip which was a month long vacation out of the country).. and their age..mid 30's

Spare me the whining and moaning, as if that has anything to do with the topic and the ridiculousness of comparing them to NON TAXPAYER FUNDED businesses anyways..

Dont know the difference between one you CHOOSE to support, and one you are FORCED to.. then you are the one that should be ashamed..
I had a friend who was a teacher and didn't make that much and never took extravagant vacations. So what's your point? Anecdotes prove nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Texas
32,891 posts, read 17,910,881 times
Reputation: 18918
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I had a friend who was a teacher and didn't make that much and never took extravagant vacations. So what's your point? Anecdotes prove nothing.

No point. That claim has been debunked in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 AM
 
11 posts, read 8,274 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Fox had a problem cutting pay of PRIVATE employees.. do you understand the difference between a PRIVATE employee, and a PUBLIC one? Do you need someone to hold your hand and explain to you that government shouldnt dictate what we make if government isnt paying us?

A teacher earning $100K is doing very well.. They are TEACHERS.. They get great benefits, and depending on where they live, they can live a fabulous life.. A Corporate executive on Wall Street earning $250K though isnt living high on the hog. Its NYC.. ...
A teacher earning 100K has worked over 20 years by that time, and will go the next 15+ years in the profession not making much more. In my district in which I teach, one of the highest paying in the nation, I am no where near that, and I have been in the profession for almost 15 years. I have a masters degree, 9 credits towards a second masters, and countless hours of professional development. Luckily my household is a two-income one (still not even close to $250K), or I would not be able to afford to live anywhere near the district in which I work -- also in a suburb of NYC. Even with two incomes, we are just getting by. I certainly would not call it "fabulous".

I have friends who are Wall Street executives (also in the profession for about the same time as I've been in teaching), making darn close to (and maybe more than) $250K, and they are certainly no where near poverty. They are one income families who have 3000 sq ft houses, two (or more) new cars, go on several island vacations a year, own a horse, in-ground pools, etc.

As far as "government isn't paying us", what was the Wall Street Bailout? Do you want to return that money back to the taxpayers? Or perhaps it should go to the schools so they can pay the salaries of countless teachers who received pink slips yesterday?

I would love to see the Fox anchors spend a week doing what I do at work and at home, to prove to them that I am worth my salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 AM
 
11 posts, read 8,274 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

p.s. here is one such school district paying those wages, starting wage for some, $74,796.. + extras..
Why Teach At CPS? - Teacher Salary
$59,335 - $64,808 (M.A. +45) (Lane 5, Step 1 – Lane 5, Step 3)
$61,087 - $66,560 (Ph.D./Ed.D.) (Lane 6, Step 1 – Lane 6, Step 3)

Add in the extras like coaching, which is a bonus, testing pay, and regional bonuses, you can EASILY hit $75K
These are unrealistic salary levels. What you fail to realize is that someone with a MA plus 45 is typically not going to be on Step 1 (the first year of teaching). A teacher with these credentials has probably worked 20+ years and deserves every penny of their salary. Same goes for a teacher with a PhD. How many teachers are still actually teaching with a PhD? In 15 years teaching in two school districts, I've known 2. Do you realize how much tuition for a PhD costs? In most districts, it's not worth the pay raise to get one unless you have plans to go into Administration.

As far as coaching goes, do you know how many hours teachers spend at games and practice? Their time is worth something. And there are only a handful of teams to coach. You make it sound like every teacher is a coach, which is not true. And whatever "testing pay" and "regional bonuses" are, they don't exist in my district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
 
11 posts, read 8,274 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I have a friend who is a teacher, and so is his wife.. they are both pulling in $75K a year, despite the fact that his wife is teaching in her SECOND year.. Thats not too shabby, so stop moaning and groaning about how much they are hurting.. Their $250,000 home is paid off, they travel to other countries EVERY summer,.. (they joined me for one trip which was a month long vacation out of the country).. and their age..mid 30's
I highly doubt your friend is teaching anywhere and making $75K her second year of teaching. Certainly no place where houses are $250,000. Starter homes around here (NYC suburbs) are 1.5 times higher, and the highest paying district around here has a starting salary of barely $50,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM
 
6,787 posts, read 6,904,050 times
Reputation: 6960
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplet383 View Post
A teacher earning 100K has worked over 20 years by that time, and will go the next 15+ years in the profession not making much more. In my district in which I teach, one of the highest paying in the nation, I am no where near that, and I have been in the profession for almost 15 years. I have a masters degree, 9 credits towards a second masters, and countless hours of professional development. Luckily my household is a two-income one (still not even close to $250K), or I would not be able to afford to live anywhere near the district in which I work -- also in a suburb of NYC. Even with two incomes, we are just getting by. I certainly would not call it "fabulous".

I have friends who are Wall Street executives (also in the profession for about the same time as I've been in teaching), making darn close to (and maybe more than) $250K, and they are certainly no where near poverty. They are one income families who have 3000 sq ft houses, two (or more) new cars, go on several island vacations a year, own a horse, in-ground pools, etc.

As far as "government isn't paying us", what was the Wall Street Bailout? Do you want to return that money back to the taxpayers? Or perhaps it should go to the schools so they can pay the salaries of countless teachers who received pink slips yesterday?

I would love to see the Fox anchors spend a week doing what I do at work and at home, to prove to them that I am worth my salary.
No one in their right mind thinks 250K is near poverty, or that 50K provides a lavish lifestyle. Those were just arguments used by FOX to justify their opinions on certain matters and in using those arguments they showed their hypocrisy. Many people here have continued the hypocrisy by making all sorts of excuses for it, but it doesn't change anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,215 posts, read 7,627,331 times
Reputation: 7722
or that 50K provides a lavish lifestyle.

Yet you hear that argument made all the time by Fox News, and by anonymous people on line (whether they are astroturfing or not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 04:08 PM
 
93 posts, read 110,079 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Still unable to dispute what I say is true, so you have to again, just blah blah blah, and make me the topic.. Thanks.. I'm flattered...
You're like a computer street tough!! If the computer was your neighborhood you would be a tough guy. I wonder if the computer knows just how much of a street tough you are? You must be from the streets with no cable and a computer street tough attitude. I admire you I don't have enough balls to talk crap on the internet. Only a true tough guy acts like a tough guy on a website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 8,805,095 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Do you mean to imply that Fox News is the only network with an agenda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top