U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 8,769,673 times
Reputation: 2874

Advertisements

So how good are the student outcomes in Wisconsin? Not so good from what I hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM
 
6,780 posts, read 6,875,988 times
Reputation: 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I know what you said, I responded to it.. A salary is NOT a salary.. Even if you say its true.. The only way a salary could be a salary is if everyone made the same in the same neighborhood and if all jobs paid the same.. Clearly they do not.. You cant compare the salary of a CEO to the salary of a teacher without looking silly.. Its again like comparing the salary of a basketball player to the janitor and claiming they are equal.. A NBA basketball player making $250,000 a year is underpaid.. NBA basketball players make 10 times that.. You need to compare the wage to OTHERS doing the SAME job and then determine if the wage is acceptable. Salaries are a supply/demand issue.. Not everyone can be a teacher right? So why would you compare a teacher to someone who's not a teacher and then compare their earnings? Thats silly and ridiculous.. Even less people can be CEO's.. So they would indeed earn more.. Its like a brain surgeon, would you compare the brain surgeons salary to a nurse? I wouldnt, but somehow you think its acceptable to compare a teacher to a CEO?

no, if you think a CEO's salary is comparable to a teachers because they live in the same city, then clearly you can compare a teachers salary to a waitress or those who work fast food right? Ohh you dont like that comparison because it would mean a massive paycut for teachers.. You only want to compare their salaries to those who earn far more while ignoring the fact that the supply/demand for CEO's are far different than teachers. How selective of you to decide who is worthy of a comparison and who isnt...
This all irrelevant to the hypocrisy which is all I have ever discussed. If someone says 250K is near poverty, and then turns around and says 50K is cushy, they are hypocrites, and to use your beloved language again, anyone who doesn't know this looks silly. Poverty tables don't change based on job title, a CEO making 10K on principle or for whatever reason will still qualify for food stamps. You can make excuses and judgements "other CEOs make more, no CEO will work for 250K, they are supposed to have a more expensive lifestyle," it doesn't change anything about the hypocrisy, being over or underpaid, (we are talking about close to poverty, not underpaid) is irrelavent to the hypocrisy. Every single thing that a person could buy still costs the same. When you buy milk there is no CEO higher price, teacher lower price, They don't base health insurance premiums on job title. That is why I put them in the same city so regional cost of living is not a factor because you brought that up. All the other stuff are simply making excuses for the hypocrisy. I didn't even say CEOs salaries should be lowered, or teachers raised, all I did was point out hypocrisy.

Last edited by detshen; 03-05-2011 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 12,714,635 times
Reputation: 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
So how good are the student outcomes in Wisconsin? Not so good from what I hear.
Yes, they're only 3rd in the Nation in SAT/ACT scores.....LOL

Commonwealth Foundation - 2010 SAT Scores by State

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1439

Jesus, I want to crawl under a rock if I posted something that off the mark....lol.....You need to get out more...Increase the diversity of "what you hear"....LOL

Btw....where did you "hear that"?...... KGOP AM ......All hate/All day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:38 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 8,769,673 times
Reputation: 2874
[quote=padcrasher;18150547]
Commonwealth Foundation - 2010 SAT Scores by State

Jesus, I want to crawl under a rock if I posted something that off the mark....lol.....You need to get out more...Increase the diversity of "what you hear"....LOL

Yes, there only 3rd in the Nation in SAT scores.....LOL

Did you go to school in Wisconsin? It's "they're" not "there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,496 posts, read 8,359,311 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes, there only 3rd in the Nation in SAT/ACT scores.....LOL

Commonwealth Foundation - 2010 SAT Scores by State

ACT Composite Scores by State

Jesus, I want to crawl under a rock if I posted something that off the mark....lol.....You need to get out more...Increase the diversity of "what you hear"....LOL

Btw....where did you "hear that"?
My money is on Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 12,714,635 times
Reputation: 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Here is an article that puts the statistics in perspective. Seems not so many Wisconsin students take the SAT.
Wisconsin Update: Ranking State SAT/ACT Statistics By Teacher Union Laws « Student Activism
Which is why I linked to the ACT scores! As well!

Here it is AGAIN with participation rates.

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1439

[ She's gonna double down and start tap dancing ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
 
6,950 posts, read 5,229,191 times
Reputation: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The fact that a teacher may have worked 20 years to earn $100K doesnt mean its not a very decent income.. Others have said that CEO's should have their salaries lowered because it was unfair that they earned more than teachers because they are neighbors.. Does this mean teachers should make $20,000 a year because they live next to waitresses and people who work at Wall-Mart? As for your statement about Wall Street, returning money back to the taxpayers.. THEY ALREADY DID..

I didnt makup the chart, but I congragulate you on being able to actually read it.. If you think they are unrealistic, then call NYC and tell them so.. I wouldnt want NYC to be posting wrong salaries of NYC teachers.. The pay scales posted are accurate.. they come right from the city who pays them.. and no, I never said every teacher is a coach, I said my friend was.. in addition to his teaching.. Congrats for being able to read a chart, but work on the comprehension..

Wait, you just said the chart was unrealistic, and now you are saying my friend isnt making what the chart says.. Are you telling me NYC doesnt know what they pay their teachers and they created a chart just to mislead anonymous posters on a web-forum? Why would they do that?

Thanks for your input.. enjoy your TOS
For the record, to prove your friend's salary, you first posted a link to the Chicago Public Schools salary schedule. When that one didn't work, you linked to NYC's salary schedule.

So, yeah, I'm betting your (imaginary??) friend isn't a NYC teacher and isn't making $75k/yr with only two years of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,714,731 times
Reputation: 9357
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
This all irrelevant to the hypocrisy which is all I have ever discussed. If someone says 250K is near poverty, and then turns around and says 50K is cushy, they are hypocrites, and to use your beloved language again, anyone who doesn't know this looks silly.
1) I dont think $250,000 is near poverty
2) Someone can say that $250,000 is near povery if they are comparing it to others IN THE SAME job sector. If you are making $50,000 a year and the guy next to you is making $500,000 a year, wouldnt you again ask for more? Wouldnt you claim you were underpaid because the guy next to you was earning more? Now what if you were to find out the owner of your company was making $500,000 a year? Doesnt that change the argument? To pretend it doesnt again is silly.. You can call me silly, but I understand that different jobs call for different wages, why dont you understand this and why on gods earth dont you recognize the crazyness in comparing wages from 2 DIFFERENT jobs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Poverty tables don't change based on job title,
That depends on the definition of the word "poverty".. It means poor but it also means lacking, insufficient.. Yes a CEO earning $50,000,000 can be called "poverty" even though they are rich.. there is more than 1 definition to the word..
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
a CEO making 10K on principle or for whatever reason will still qualify for food stamps.
Normally they dont because they have too many assets, but given the same assets as a teacher, and the same income as a teacher, both earning $10K, yes they would both qualify for food stamps.. But again, poverty isnt just a definition of income..
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
You can make excuses and judgements "other CEOs make more, no CEO will work for 250K, they are supposed to have a more expensive lifestyle," it doesn't change anything about the hypocrisy, being over or underpaid, (we are talking about close to poverty, not underpaid) is irrelavent to the hypocrisy.
Not true.. An individual who has the capability to compare the salary of person A, to the salary of person B, doing the SAME amount of work, can indeed call person A in "poverty" if person A is earning 1/10th the income of person B.. The amount of the income is irrelevant.. To compare person A to person B in a DIFFERENT job function though changes the equation completely..
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Every single thing that a person could buy still costs the same. When you buy milk there is no CEO higher price, teacher lower price, They don't base health insurance premiums on job title. That is why I put them in the same city so regional cost of living is not a factor because you brought that up. All the other stuff are simply making excuses for the hypocrisy. I didn't even say CEOs salaries should be lowered, or teachers raised, all I did was point out hypocrisy.
The fact that they both could buy the same, doesnt mean the comparison is fair.. Again, the cost of milk is the same for a teacher as it is for a waitress or a fast food employee.. but you didnt like that comparison did you? Why the double standards? You think its fair to compare a CEO and a teacher, but not a teacher and a fast food worker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
 
93 posts, read 109,760 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I know what you said, I responded to it.. A salary is NOT a salary.. Even if you say its true.. The only way a salary could be a salary is if everyone made the same in the same neighborhood and if all jobs paid the same.. Clearly they do not.. You cant compare the salary of a CEO to the salary of a teacher without looking silly.. Its again like comparing the salary of a basketball player to the janitor and claiming they are equal.. A NBA basketball player making $250,000 a year is underpaid.. NBA basketball players make 10 times that.. You need to compare the wage to OTHERS doing the SAME job and then determine if the wage is acceptable. Salaries are a supply/demand issue.. Not everyone can be a teacher right? So why would you compare a teacher to someone who's not a teacher and then compare their earnings? Thats silly and ridiculous.. Even less people can be CEO's.. So they would indeed earn more.. Its like a brain surgeon, would you compare the brain surgeons salary to a nurse? I wouldnt, but somehow you think its acceptable to compare a teacher to a CEO?

no, if you think a CEO's salary is comparable to a teachers because they live in the same city, then clearly you can compare a teachers salary to a waitress or those who work fast food right? Ohh you dont like that comparison because it would mean a massive paycut for teachers.. You only want to compare their salaries to those who earn far more while ignoring the fact that the supply/demand for CEO's are far different than teachers. How selective of you to decide who is worthy of a comparison and who isnt...

You're comparing a teacher and CEO to a Brain Surgeon and Nurse. If you did any research at all you would see a brain surgeon doesn't make much more then a nurse. You were on the right track with the janitor and NBA player but you blew it with the brain surgeon nurse connection.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-05-2011 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 8,769,673 times
Reputation: 2874
Which is why I linked to the ACT scores! As well!

Here it is AGAIN with participation rates.

ACT Composite Scores by State

[ She's gonna double down and start tap dancing]

I am not going to double down and start tap dancing. Who are you to mock others? Would most Wisconsin students pass the SATs? Do you know the difference between "there" and "they're"? Were you educated in Wisconsin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top