Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM

11 posts, read 10,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No line 7A is not for 7 years of experience in a prior district..
AGAIN.. its for STARTING wages, for those who can receive CREDITS.. its not necessarily teaching experience..

Nor do you need a masters to get that pay scale.. You can get a teaching degree AFTER you start teaching with the proper credits..

Where on gods earth did many of you go to school that you cant read a basic chart, nor the links which verify I am correct?
<< sigh>> Ok, we'll go over this one more time. Lines 1 - 8 are for years of service. For example, if you've worked as a NYC teacher for 7 years (and that's your first teaching job), you'll be on line 7. You may get hired on line seven if you have, for example, 10 years experience in a prior district (when you're hired with previous experience, you never get all the years you've worked -- you usually lose 2 -3 years when you negotiate step). This scenario, however, very rarely happens in NYC. Teachers usually start out as rookie teachers in NYC, stay for at most 5 years, and then either leave teaching or find a job in the suburbs. There are a few (like my good friend who works at Queens HS for the Sciences at York College, with whom I verified the information in your chart) that stayed for longer. But he backs up my assertion that a teacher in NYC can only start at $75K with 8 years experience AND a Masters +30 credits (which again, very rarely happens).

I truly feel sorry for you, that you've allowed FOX news and the Corporate Big Wigs to brainwash you into believing that teachers are the reason the economy is bad. I don't know if it's because we're a predominantly female profession, you had a negative experience in school and now feel you need to exact revenge, or you agree with Republicans that unions must be dismantled (which begs me to question, why then are police and firemen not being targeted?). If money is what you're after, why not go after the billions of dollars of money being contracted out by the government for military contracts? The argument that teachers' pensions are bankrupting states' budgets doesn't float either -- this from the Miami Herald link which was already posted:

"Pension contributions from state and local employers aren't blowing up budgets. They amount to just 2.9 percent of state spending, on average, according to the National Association of State Retirement Administrators. The Center for Retirement Research at Boston College puts the figure a bit higher at 3.8 percent.
Though there's no direct comparison, state and local pension contributions approximate the burden shouldered by private companies. The nonpartisan Employee Benefit Research Institute estimates that retirement funding for private employers amounts to about 3.5 percent of employee compensation.
Nor are state and local government pension funds broke. They're underfunded, in large measure because - like the investments held in 401(k) plans by American private-sector employees - they sunk along with the entire stock market during the Great Recession of 2007-2009. And like 401(k) plans, the investments made by public-sector pension plans are increasingly on firmer footing as the rising tide on Wall Street lifts all boats."

Read more: Why employee pensions aren't bankrupting states - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/06/2100575/why-employee-pensions-arent-bankrupting.html#ixzz1Fs7Q23xe - broken link)

The pink elephant in the middle of the room is this: Unions are the top contributor to the Democratic party. Rich Republicans like the Koch brothers want unions dead. Rich Republicans pull the strings, FOX does it's little dance, and the sad people that watch FOX fall for it. It's that simple.

Look, if you or anyone else is not happy with how their job is paying them currently because of the way the economy, I'm truly sorry for you. But it's not the fault of teachers. Everyone has the opportunity to choose their profession. You had the chance at 19-22 to make your choice. Heck, you could go back to school now and get your teaching degree if you want to. In fact, I would love to see how you would fare in a classroom. But don't come whining at me because 15 years down the line, you envy what teachers have. I could have decided to be an accountant, and actuary, a doctor, but I don't whine at my kids' pediatrician because she has a cushier life than me.

Now, I've gone back and forth with you on this, and quite frankly, I'm really tired of it and you. I have much more important things to do now. Enjoy the rest of your weekend as you troll the boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
The only "hoodwinking" going on here is the hood the left wing media pulls over the heads of the far left daily!

Give me a break. Jon Stewart is such a political heavyweight! lol.

And teachers don't work as much as business owners and Wall Street execs. Deal with it!

Teachers usually work 9 months of 7 hours days and get generous holidays off at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Spring Break, Labor Day, Memorial Day. Plus the summer off. Let's atleast be honest.

One of the reasons the bad teachers don't want to leave is because it is pretty cushy. And they certainly couldn't find a better job. Again. Deal with the truth for once.
Teachers don't make the money that business owners and Wall Street execs make. How many big executives would be content with 40 something thousand a year? Also, teacher do take work home, can't leave their school for anything, and are lucky to get a 15 minute break during the day. Imagine the stress of dealing with someone else's kids all day. There is a reason parents can't wait for school to start each year.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The median income for college grads is $45k. Teachers in Florida have a median income of $41k. When the retirement contribution is added in, the median teacher salary is $45k. From your link it is clear that, in Florida, a the state paid retirement contribution IS part of their compensation. Perhaps you'd like to know why: So, for almost all of my teaching career, I worked under the agreement of lower salary in exchange for a guaranteed pension. My children are teaching under the same arrangement in 2011. If Gov. Scott wants Florida teachers to contribute to their pensions, he should also arrange for them to get an increase in salary.

I never said teachers were "hurting." I have only taken issue with those of you who have stated that teachers - all of them - have lavish salaries and benefits. That's just NOT true.
$41K isnt bad money, especially if you have 2 people bringing that in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The Chart 7a is for those with 6 years of prior teaching experience, or those who have 6 years strong of work experience specialized in the field they are going to teach, provided they are able to receive credit for it (the requirements are fairly strict). The vast majority of those who have a starting pay wages beyond the 1A category are those with prior teaching experience.
Yes, I know.. and as the discussion went about my friend, who's job/hobby it was prior to teaching was to travel the country and give talks about historical events, hence why he became a history teacher.
And as you clearly acknowledge now, you dont need TEACHING experience to qualify for higher pay..

Last edited by pghquest; 03-06-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,285,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Fox news and the right are corporate lackeys. They detest the middle and working class because they feel that middle class people are not as smart, talented, or hard working as the rich.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplet383 View Post
<< sigh>> Ok, we'll go over this one more time. Lines 1 - 8 are for years of service. For example, if you've worked as a NYC teacher for 7 years (and that's your first teaching job), you'll be on line 7. You may get hired on line seven if you have, for example, 10 years experience in a prior district (when you're hired with previous experience, you never get all the years you've worked -- you usually lose 2 -3 years when you negotiate step). This scenario, however, very rarely happens in NYC. Teachers usually start out as rookie teachers in NYC, stay for at most 5 years, and then either leave teaching or find a job in the suburbs. There are a few (like my good friend who works at Queens HS for the Sciences at York College, with whom I verified the information in your chart) that stayed for longer. But he backs up my assertion that a teacher in NYC can only start at $75K with 8 years experience AND a Masters +30 credits (which again, very rarely happens).
1) I dont give a rats patute about whats "normal".. I never said I was discussing the common action.. I said MY FRIEND is earning $75K a year after 2 years..
2) You may get hired on line 7 if you have EXPERIENCE, not necessarily teaching.. For heaven sakes, Smash finally admitted this to be true after reaching the chart again..
Quote:
I truly feel sorry for you, that you've allowed FOX news and the Corporate Big Wigs to brainwash you into believing that teachers are the reason the economy is bad.
A) I never said teachers are the reason the economy is bad.. I feel even sadder for you that you have to resort to just making things up that others didnt say
B) I dont even have cable, so save your "fox" bashing for another thread where it might hold some relevance
C) We arent discussing the economy..
Quote:
I don't know if it's because we're a predominantly female profession, you had a negative experience in school and now feel you need to exact revenge, or you agree with Republicans that unions must be dismantled (which begs me to question, why then are police and firemen not being targeted?).
You dont know why what is happening, that I stated my friend is a teacher and after 2 years is earning $75K a year? THATS ALL I SAID which has resorted to this.. Now you think my friend being a teacher is me exacting some sort of revenge or trying to dismantle unions? Wow... Please seek medical attention for taking that leap and being serious about it Hell, I never even criticized teachers pay ONCE.. Thats a pretty defensive position you have there against someone who hasnt criticized a thing.

I'm not even responding to the rest of the hogwash about military contracts etc, as you've gone so far off the mark that I cant key and keep a straight face anymore.. I'm trying to hard to key and not fall off my chair in laughter..

Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Teachers don't make the money that business owners and Wall Street execs make.
Which is what makes the comparison just so ridiculous and outright stupid...

Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Which is what makes the comparison just so ridiculous and outright stupid...
You said yourself you didn't watch the video, perhaps if you actually did you would have noticed that the issue wasn't comparing the amount of $$ teachers make to the amount of $$ corporate execs make, but rather Fox's different distinctions when discussing the middle class teachers, and discussing the wealthy.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,751 times
Republicans are always hysterically funny when it comes to teachers. Admit it. The only reason Republicans don't like teachers is because most do not vote Republican. That's the honest truth. It isn't about anything else but votes.

The truth is that teaching is hard as hell. Most Republicans would last about an hour in a typical classroom if that. If teachers get time off they need it to recover from the rigors of teaching. Giving five presentations a day, working on lesson plans and then spending hours grading homework is exhausting work.

The other truth that Republicans oppose teachers not because they want public schools to be better but because they want to dismantle them. The ideal Republican woman should be at home homeschooling her children. If she can't do that then the Republicans want her to send her children to church run schools on the public dime.

It's that simple. Worse. It's that sad.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You said yourself you didn't watch the video, perhaps if you actually did you would have noticed that the issue wasn't comparing the amount of $$ teachers make to the amount of $$ corporate execs make, but rather Fox's different distinctions when discussing the middle class teachers, and discussing the wealthy.
Right from the link..
But when it comes to teachers in Wisconsin, the same pundits say they, as government employees, should expect to see cuts in their ample $50,000 a year salary plus benefits

cuts in teachers' salaries were compared to those of Wall Street executives

Bush tax cuts and bailed-out bank CEOs' salaries.

Yes they were..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Right from the link..
But when it comes to teachers in Wisconsin, the same pundits say they, as government employees, should expect to see cuts in their ample $50,000 a year salary plus benefits

cuts in teachers' salaries were compared to those of Wall Street executives

Bush tax cuts and bailed-out bank CEOs' salaries.

Yes they were..
They weren't comparing salary to salary, they were comparing comments made about cutting middle class teacher's salaries to comments made about cutting CEO pay for bailed out companies. They were also comparing comments about how $100,000 combined salary for two married teachers is wealthy in the debate over teachers to comments that $250,000 is almost poverty in the debate over the tax cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies