U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Midwest
29,322 posts, read 18,606,295 times
Reputation: 7072

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yep.. one no one has disputed.. Just more name calling and changing of the subject.. I guess thats all thats left when someone laughs in your face because you dont understand the differences between a public and private employee, and because you guys though there was a point behind a comic, comparing a teacher to a CEO.

Whats the matter, cant dispute that janitors should be paid different than the basketball player, even though they are paid by the same individuals? No wonder you cant comprehend that a teachers salary and a CEO one would be worlds apart..
You do not have the essence of the OP's video at all. You would rather spout off topic than to watch the video so that you can make intelligent contributions to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,995,163 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
From the link you provided. Which is NYC...FYI. So if 250K is poor in NYC what is 51K?

Teachers who have a master’s degree but no
teaching experience will start at $51,425.
Thats for teachers without a teachers license.. Scroll down below you will see the salary for those who are licensed or have a BA..
Section 8A, STARTING - year 4 earn $70,495 for work experience or a LICENSE, and the last collumn is those with a bachelor, which is $75,796,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
So are you in favor of privatizing education? So the better teachers can get what they are worth?
Absolutely.. I have no problem with public teachers being paid well either. I'm not saying they are overpaid

My problem is the stupidity in comparing them to a CEO.. Thats ridiculous..

Again, its like comparing a janitor to a basketball star..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 PM
 
920 posts, read 1,481,085 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont even have cable.. spare me the "stop watching fox" bs.. Maybe you should try to discuss my points based upon merits instead of trying to make the typical left wing attacks as usual..
Hey man, stop posting about yourself and start posting where you got that 75k/second year teacher stuff. Narcissistic much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
 
6,951 posts, read 5,259,322 times
Reputation: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Which is EXACTLY what I said it was doing.. Thanks for confirming the stupidity of the left for comparing the two.. Thats like comparing the salary of a janitor, and the basketball player.. again, paid by the same individuals..

Couldnt tell you.. lives in a different state, and I really dont care enough about it.. Why are you trying to change the subject ? Because you admit its stupidity to compare the two?

p.s. here is one such school district paying those wages, starting wage for some, $74,796.. + extras..
Why Teach At CPS? - Teacher Salary
$59,335 - $64,808 (M.A. +45) (Lane 5, Step 1 – Lane 5, Step 3)
$61,087 - $66,560 (Ph.D./Ed.D.) (Lane 6, Step 1 – Lane 6, Step 3)

And here is another one
Powered by Google Docs
Add in the extras like coaching, which is a bonus, testing pay, and regional bonuses, you can EASILY hit $75K
A second year teacher with an MA makes $52,942. Coaches are supplemented at $22.50/hr, with a max of 240 hrs/yr. As a matter of fact, $22.50 seems to be the standard rate for supplements, most of which are limited to far fewer than 240 hrs.

The difference between your asserted salary of $75k and the base salary of $52,942, is $22,058, which mean your friend is putting in 980 extra hours per 193 day school year, which means she is working an extra 5 hours a day - at a minimum. Anyone who has been a teacher knows that a teacher puts in far more than the contractual 7 hr 20 min day.This lady is working pretty much all her waking hours.

When does she have time to go out to dinner with you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,816 posts, read 14,956,605 times
Reputation: 3876
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Fox had a problem cutting pay of PRIVATE employees.. do you understand the difference between a PRIVATE employee, and a PUBLIC one? Do you need someone to hold your hand and explain to you that government shouldnt dictate what we make if government isnt paying us?

A teacher earning $100K is doing very well.. They are TEACHERS.. They get great benefits, and depending on where they live, they can live a fabulous life.. A Corporate executive on Wall Street earning $250K though isnt living high on the hog. Its NYC.. Do you not have a clue about cost of livings and again, does someone need to explain to you the parts that the government shouldnt dictate private business pay?

yet another worthless posting with no substance and showing the inability to compare a corporate executive, which is a private employee to a public one.. Thanks for sharing, but your postings are becoming troll like...
I'm in the NYC suburbs (Long Island), I know about the cost of living in this area... $250,000 is still very well off. On top of that the $100,000 I was talking about was a married couple with both of them teachers at $50,000 each.

Again the issue was the executives of companies that were propped up via the taxpayer. If you actually watched the damn video you refused to watch you would have seen that this is what the discussion is. Execs making millions and millions via the taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,995,163 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You do not have the essence of the OP's video at all. You would rather spout off topic than to watch the video so that you can make intelligent contributions to this thread.
Still unable to dispute what I say is true, so you have to again, just blah blah blah, and make me the topic.. Thanks.. I'm flattered...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
 
920 posts, read 1,481,085 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh that would be LOANED by the taxpayers

That owe what currently to the taxpayers? Hint.. ZERO..
That cost the taxpayers what? Hint.. ZERO..
In fact, those salaries, bonuses to the CEO's, PROFITED the taxpayers..

Again, to compare the two is laughable.. Thats like comparing the salaries of a Janitor who cleans up an arena, and the basketball player who played the game..

Liberals show their inability to understand reality, and fall for this typical left wing bs over and over again..
Cite your sources as to:

1. How much was 'loaned" by all the various agencies of the Federal Government.

2. All the various institutions which were "loaned" the money.

3. The repayment schedules which said institutions have in place to make the "loan" repayments.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,995,163 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Hey man, stop posting about yourself and start posting where you got that 75k/second year teacher stuff. Narcissistic much?
I posted the link, and even explained it to those who couldnt scroll down to the second page to see $70,495 and $74,796 STARTING wages for those with licenses and bachelors.. If you cant scroll down to the 2nd page on the link provided, then I'm not coming to hold your hand..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A second year teacher with an MA makes $52,942. Coaches are supplemented at $22.50/hr, with a max of 240 hrs/yr. As a matter of fact, $22.50 seems to be the standard rate for supplements, most of which are limited to far fewer than 240 hrs.

The difference between your asserted salary of $75k and the base salary of $52,942, is $22,058, which mean your friend is putting in 980 extra hours per 193 day school year, which means she is working an extra 5 hours a day - at a minimum. Anyone who has been a teacher knows that a teacher puts in far more than the contractual 7 hr 20 min day.This lady is working pretty much all her waking hours.
When does she have time to go out to dinner with you??
Another poster who didnt look at just one of the links provided which shows a $70K+ starting wage..
here, since you guys need your hand held, here it goes again..
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:0TsIBwwK7cMJ:schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/EDDB658C-BE7F-4314-85C0-03F5A00B8A0B/0/salary.pdf+starting+wage+teachers+master+degree&hl =en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShqfWl70dbEDyS2Ob05zTH XttF6LIMw61DF9Jz1Xcnx9DDNqnd36dioyEN1QZZ-uHkpvm62L7SGhcbcQBPDYRbz4bhokc2J6RVelglYaywnGDfgUN pww-sRE9qJUrOoMqVd9VS6&sig=AHIEtbSy8FYY9BnUdXq8C02S7Lj hJaArmg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm in the NYC suburbs (Long Island), I know about the cost of living in this area... $250,000 is still very well off. On top of that the $100,000 I was talking about was a married couple with both of them teachers at $50,000 each.

Again the issue was the executives of companies that were propped up via the taxpayer. If you actually watched the damn video you refused to watch you would have seen that this is what the discussion is. Execs making millions and millions via the taxpayer.
The taxpayers did not pay the salaries of the executives. In fact many of them would have been fine had the taxpayers NOT given them money.. Ford is a prime example.. GS another, which could have gotten money elsewhere.. (Especially considering Warren Buffet is the primary owner)..

And yet again, comparing executives making millions NOT paid by the taxpayers, (again, the companies were LOANED money), and teachers who ARE is ridiculous..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,995,163 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Cite your sources as to:

1. How much was 'loaned" by all the various agencies of the Federal Government.
There was $700B reserved for TARP, but only a fraction of that was ever loaned. The total amount loaned reached $1.1T, but it was the same money loaned, repaid, then reloaned back out, numerous times..
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
2. All the various institutions which were "loaned" the money.
Lots of institutions, from car companies, insurance companies, finance companies, banks, etc... Many of which would have survived just fine without it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
3. The repayment schedules which said institutions have in place to make the "loans."
Most of the repayments were made already, be it through repayment of funds, stocks, or warrants that were granted to the government that the government sold..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM
 
920 posts, read 1,481,085 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There was $700B reserved for TARP, but only a fraction of that was ever loaned. The total amount loaned reached $1.1T, but it was the same money loaned, repaid, then reloaned back out, numerous times..

Lots of institutions, from car companies, insurance companies, finance companies, banks, etc... Many of which would have survived just fine without it..

Most of the repayments were made already, be it through repayment of funds, stocks, or warrants that were granted to the government that the government sold..
The questions were what were the institutions which made the "loans" e.g. Federal Reserve, which institutions were given the "loans" and what was the schedule of repayment of those "loans." Try again.....TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top