Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:46 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times

Advertisements

I think if someone molests & kills a child they should be put into the general population and that population would take care of them and we would not have the cost of putting them to death or feeding & taking care of them for the rest of their lives. I also feel that lethal injection is too easy a way for them to go, their victims did not get a choice.
Sassy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
There are people who pose such a thread to society that it would be better for society to dispose of them. In Holland we do not have a death penalty, but we have many escapees who are able to flee from prison. Our psych wards are not that good at preventing prisoners from escaping. I don't mind killing all serial rapists, serial paedophiles and serial murderers.
Some people simply are beyond saving or being controlled in such a matter they wont pose a thread against society in general.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:13 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
There are people who pose such a thread to society that it would be better for society to dispose of them. In Holland we do not have a death penalty, but we have many escapees who are able to flee from prison. Our psych wards are not that good at preventing prisoners from escaping. I don't mind killing all serial rapists, serial paedophiles and serial murderers.
Some people simply are beyond saving or being controlled in such a matter they wont pose a thread against society in general.
Well said.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM

746 posts, read 846,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
What you think about death punishment ? In the Poland is prohibit and how is in the USA?

An eye for an eye is a great deterrent in crime prevention. Most countries that practice this sort of redistributive justice have little to no crime whatsoever. I'd be fine with that sort of policy in America.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:37 PM

46 posts, read 179,799 times
I am opposed to the death penalty. I realize that some people may deserve to die for what they have done, but there's more to this question than what the perpetrator deserves. Other concerns:

No system is foolproof, and we don't always get the right person. That's been demonstrated many times, so I need not go into specifics. If you don't believe me, do a little internet research. It may not happen often, but when we execute people there is no correcting a mistake.

Criminals, even the worst criminals, have families. The grief of a parent whose child has committed a heinous crime must be an awful thing to live with, and I see no reason to make it worse by imposing the death penalty. I can't even imagine what it must be like to wait helplessly while your child, your brother or sister, is put to death. We all know that you love your child no matter what they have done. Why cause even more suffering than has already occurred?

We could resolve the problem of violent people killing again without the death penalty. A person who has committed murder should receive a life sentence without any possibility of parole. And yes, I agree that many of these people don't merit being supported in jail for the rest of their lives, but there are some problems for which there is no ideal answer. If we want to live in a civilized world, we have to be better than the worst among us.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia319 View Post
We could resolve the problem of violent people killing again without the death penalty. A person who has committed murder should receive a life sentence without any possibility of parole.
Charles Manson: I trust you know him. You are aware he keeps coming up for parole every few years? I don't think it would be granted but, as long as it comes up, there is that possibility.

Face it - there is no "Life without possibility of parole".

I support the death penalty - even for child molestors.

Although, with child predators, I would go one step further; I would put them in general population of a prision. They will be dead within a week - at no expense to the taxpayer!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I don't support the death penalty. I don't see any difference between a burglar killiing an innocent homeowner and the State killing someone using the death penality.
Is the legal taking of property to satisfy a debt the same as auto theft? Both result in loss of property. Are kidnaping and legal incarceration the same? Both involve imprisonment against one's will. Is killing in self defense the same as capital murder? Both end in taking human life. Are rape and making love the same? Both may result in sexual intercourse. ......????...OMG! Seriously?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 AM

499 posts, read 405,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
I really don't believe in the death penalty because I believe in "Thou Shalt Not Kill". I do not believe that that kind of punishment is ours to perform. I also know that the legal system is not perfect and when it comes to taking a persons life, you want to be perfectly sure they are guilty. I have heard of person after person who has been found to be not guilty after DNA evidence proved them innocent. Some of those were sitting on death row. I, personaly do not want to be responsible for taking a persons life from them, only to find out later I was wrong.
Isn't it quite an expensive system to upkeep as well?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
We are way too soft on violent crime in this country and way to extreme in our approach to drug crime. It's an absolute joke for a low level drug criminal to get more time than a rapist or murderer. It's also a joke that repeat, hardcore violent offenders ever get released. Give the drug criminals community service and rehab and free up the cell space for the truely dangerous.

There should be some type of 3 strikes law in regards to violent crime that qualifies you for execution. We also need to go back to the electric chair, hanging and gas chamber. The DP needs to be feared to be a deterrant and IMO part of the punishment for a multiple murderer is that fear he or she has knowing they are going to hang or fry.

I support the DP but would accept it being abolished if murderers were guarunteed to be locked up for life in a supermax setting with no perks or country club atmosphere. The problem is that the minute we abolish the DP then the thug huggers will cry that LWOP is inhumane and cruel.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
What you think about death punishment ? In the Poland is prohibit and how is in the USA?
If one kills someone that murderer needs to die.. that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies