Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,061,373 times

Advertisements

Won't that get a little heavy in the change pocket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,757,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Still, I hope they don't pass a law requiring the payment of health insurance in coin as a means to make coin money "popular".
What they are most likely to do if they really want to stop making the note (paper bills) is they could simply stop making them. Like the article said, which btw that was one long article lol, the public eventually did stop resisting after I think it said a year. What gets me is how people are forced to just give up ...it's not that they just gave up they were forced to like ergohead said the Government can force us to which is of course would be through manipulation as I said when agreed with ergohead.

I wonder if this is really a made up excuse for wanting the coin in place of the dollar not because the Government and banks really want to push us all towards going cashless? If I were a coin collector I would be pissed to no end if they put Lady Liberty on any new coins in everyday circulation.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 AM

24,364 posts, read 22,946,540 times
Let's say I have a $20 coin the size of an old silver dollar, and a $10 coin the size of a 50 cent piece. Forget the quarter sized coins, they were always too confusing. I have $30 that can fit in my pocket and I'm a lot less likely to lose them than two loose paper bills. Those coins will last about forever, but lets say they'll last 40 or 50 years. Nobody is going to be able to counterfeit them unless its done by a foreign power. If you have a cash drawer full of $ 20 coins and somebody robs you, he'll have to stuff those coins in his pockets and thats harder to do than grab a stack of $20s. Your house burns down and you have a stack of $20s under the mattress, they're gone. If you have a stack of $20 coins, they'll still be there( unless they're made of zinc). Go even larger and have $100 coins and counterfeiters will have fits.
There must be a reason the Fed and Treasury don't want this done, I'd guess it would upset the money supply and make it more accountable. Paper currency supply and circulation is easier to keep a mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies