Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Things do not cost so much that we require $1 coins... hopefully it will never get to that stage... I know over in the EU, that's their preferred way of doing things but it also costs a lot over there... The only problem is the cost of making these $1 bills... the process is pretty much automated so the cost is really the paper, ink, and anti-counterfeiting measures.... so really, costs is not that much because it costs something for monetary security and that's a price we all should pay just to keep things as cheap as they are now...
That is the main argument for coins. A coin does not cost much more to make than a bill but lasts 50 times longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Include sales tax in the price the way they do in Europe instead of charging it separately and on top. That would have the added bonus in that what you see is what you pay.
Isn't that the truth!
I love the way that it's done here. Makes that 19% less painful.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I have to take that back - the OP appears to have suggested just such a thing. Let me rephrase: Nobody who's given the matter any serious thought is suggesting that.
Neither did I. I wasn't expressing any preference for any given denomination, I was illustrating my preference for paper over coins; in this case, the hassle versus convenience of carrying around the respective combined weights of each, in order to clarify Jaggy's misunderstanding of a "few hundred bucks". Since this topic is after all centering around the $1 denomination, I didn't take that into account so I think that's where the misunderstanding began. My bad.

But now that you mention it, as a matter of fact I'd prefer that we keep the highest banknotes. Luckily I can rest assured that they'll be kept around.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I lived in various EU countries for years that used either the Euro or the British Pound. In all of these countries, the single (1 Euro/GBP) or single x 2 (2 Euros/GBPs) unit of currency was issued as a coin.

It wasn't a problem, no my pockets were not bulging with coins, and no, they did not track people using them. It's actually much easier to track people using cell phones and credit cards/bank cards with smart chips in them, and the CCTV system that is ubiquitous and omnipresent in the UK and is becoming more widespread in other EU nations.

I wouldn't care if we got rid of the dollar bill here, honestly. I don't carry much cash with me anyway.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
You pro coin guys can lug the stuff around in your pockets.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Why would you carry $300 in one dollar bills
He's either a stripper or a waiter.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You pro coin guys can lug the stuff around in your pockets.
You have a point. I don't deny that it would take some adjustment. Now that I think about it, I have the urge to get rid of my 1 euro pieces and fractional euros pretty quickly. Maybe that's a result of having paper $$ all of our lives over here in the States? I could picture man bags coming into fashion over here to accommodate the extra weight in coinage. Anyone know of a good man bag company that I could invest in?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:30 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
This will never actually happen. It has been talked about for years, and it always gets killed.

What SHOULD happen is ditching the penny. The government actually loses money for each penny it produces, because the metal used to produce them costs more than a penny is worth.

Plus they are annoying and not really worth much. I'd rather see all prices rounded to the nearest 5 cents.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
contemplating?

they're already producing not one, but two different dollar coins - the native American series and the US presidents series.

wot, you didn't know that? neither does 99+% of the US population, apparently.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
And what exactly does a single dollar buy these days? .. Someone please refresh my memory.
any one item you find here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies