U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,809,344 times
Reputation: 3118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
White people are moving the goal post in regards to the term racism so that they can kick a goal. Ask yourself this:"What makes the definition of racism unique from terms like prejudice or bigotry?"

Think of the term Socialism, communism, Marxism, conservatism, liberalism......these are SYSTEMS. The suffix "ism" has a specific meaning. It means a doctrine or system. The suffix "ist" means one who is a practitioner of.........hence.....a practitioner of the doctrine and system of racism in this instance.

What white people want to do is to convolute things so that they can use it against black people.

I'm sorry but if non-White Americans are commuting acts against violence, intimidation, or harassment primarily based on racial motivations against other individuals then they are race based hate crimines and they need to prosecuted accordingly.

The fact that you are a Black American may have been discriminated against or have historical grievances against White Americans does NOT give you the right to commit acts of violence, harassment, or intimidation against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,480,747 times
Reputation: 6945
A lot of white people are racist but being white doesn't make you a racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
This my point. I have read hundreds of posts from people in this forum that claim it is impossible to be racist if you are not white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
 
8,708 posts, read 6,411,099 times
Reputation: 3801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I'm sorry but if non-White Americans are commuting acts against violence, intimidation, or harassment primarily based on racial motivations against other individuals then they are race based hate crimines and they need to prosecuted accordingly.

The fact that you are a Black American may have been discriminated against or have historical grievances against White Americans does NOT give you the right to commit acts of violence, harassment, or intimidation against them.
Well....first off "Hispanics" is NOT a race. There are many Afro-Cubans who are "Hispanic". Next, some posters were talking about how it has been argued that blacks cannot be racist......and I was simply providing the official definition which explains why that claim is made.

That having been said, this is not the first or last time that blacks have targeted a group. Do you remember that black guy who shot those white people on the bus in.....New York.......I think his name was Colen Ferguson or something like that.

My point is that terms should not be so broad that they cease to have a specific meaning. What the guy did was wrong and he should get the maximum penality allowed.....but that fact does not change the definition of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,480,747 times
Reputation: 6945
Aren't you black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

The fact that you are a Black American may have been discriminated against or have historical grievances against White Americans does NOT give you the right to commit acts of violence, harassment, or intimidation against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM
 
Location: tampa bay
6,473 posts, read 6,510,330 times
Reputation: 9527
Just a few days ago was the 20th anniversary of the Rodney King beating, in some ways we have come so far as a nation (Pres.Obama) and yet these posts make it seem like we have regressed! It's kind of disheartening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,480,747 times
Reputation: 6945
Do you know what an Uncle Tom and an Aunt Jemima is ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Just a few days ago was the 20th anniversary of the Rodney King beating, in some ways we have come so far as a nation (Pres.Obama) and yet these posts make it seem like we have regressed! It's kind of disheartening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:16 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,809,344 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Aren't you black?
What difference does it make?

You don't get a free pass to commit crimes simply because you, your family or your descendents faced racial discrimination, segregation, exclusion, and political, social and economic disenfranchisement.

Advocating such behavior is not only the height of ignorance it's also inhibits the social, economic and political empowerment of you and those that think like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
 
Location: tampa bay
6,473 posts, read 6,510,330 times
Reputation: 9527
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do you know what an Uncle Tom and an Aunt Jemima is ?
Not really but I recognize a jack***** when I see one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,877 posts, read 4,048,572 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What difference does it make?

You don't get a free pass to commit crimes simply because you, your family or your descendents faced racial discrimination, segregation, exclusion, and political, social and economic disenfranchisement.

Advocating such behavior is not only the height of ignorance it's also inhibits the social, economic and political empowerment of you and those that think like you.
Thank you, great post. There is no justification for racist beliefs. The fact that some on here are excusing a MURDER on the basis of slavery hundreds of years ago is SICKENING just awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,877 posts, read 4,048,572 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Aren't you black?
What does that have to do with anything? I thought we were "colorblind" and we should all look at the content of each others character? Just because JTG is black doesn't mean he can't have his own opinions, which his opinions are actually sane. Unlike certain posters on here excusing violence and MURDER on the basis of a historical bigotry. But no you're right, JTG condemning violence deserves a head slap, not the idiots excusing violence and murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top