U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 AM

555 posts, read 736,618 times

Advertisements

Just saw a show on Animal Planet about a woman who hoarded cats. Her daughter had respiratory distress and was taken to an ER. Eventually she saw a therapist and got rid of the cats. I think someone should have called CPS on her for child abuse. There were two separate 1/2 hour segments on the same one hour program about cat hoadring, so I might have mixed the two up, but the basic question remains: Can animal hoarding resulting in unsanitary and unhealthy conditions causing illness in the hoarder's children be child abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:59 AM

4,111 posts, read 12,848,217 times
Child neglect at the least I would think - and I would prob. agree that it's child abuse as well - it would have to affect the child's mental and physical well being - just breathing the stenchy air isn't healthy (have seen rescuers gagging after going in the houses etc), I can only imaging what a whiff of it smells like.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,289,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Just saw a show on Animal Planet about a woman who hoarded cats. Her daughter had respiratory distress and was taken to an ER. Eventually she saw a therapist and got rid of the cats. I think someone should have called CPS on her for child abuse. There were two separate 1/2 hour segments on the same one hour program about cat hoadring, so I might have mixed the two up, but the basic question remains: Can animal hoarding resulting in unsanitary and unhealthy conditions causing illness in the hoarder's children be child abuse.
Yes, those shows are frighting.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
miu

16,490 posts, read 33,466,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Only if we can we charge cigarette smokers with child abuse if their children have asthma and other breathing issues.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Only if we can we charge cigarette smokers with child abuse if their children have asthma and other breathing issues.
The cats were worse than living with smokers.

They ran a air quality test on one of the shows. Theu said the lady that lived than should not have a baby.

It could have disabilities from the air she was breathing.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM
miu

16,490 posts, read 33,466,803 times
And cigarette smoke can lead to emphysema and cancer. But this is not a competition for what is worse for a child to grow up with.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
And cigarette smoke can lead to emphysema and cancer. But this is not a competition for what is worse for a child to grow up with.
I think you would have had to see these apposed to understand.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM

555 posts, read 736,618 times
Not to mention the show Fatal Attractions on Animal Planet where a circus performer got his kids involved with the big cats in his act. Or the farm guy in Ohio who had lions and his daughter, over 21, was drinking and stuck her hand in the cage to have it almost bitten off. He seemed ambivalent about shooting the lion to stop the attack and it took longer than necessary. He later cried about his dead lion, but not about his daughter.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:50 AM

2,806 posts, read 6,317,967 times
"Abuse" is a strong word, and it implies some sort of punishment is in order...I believe in the case of hoarding the often terrible consequences are not due to intentional neglect or wish to harm, but to a warped perception of reality and the role they believe they're playing in it. Many of these people feel they are doing something extremely noble and great, and that the animals they have would be miserable anywhere else...they don't "see" what we see...they see a sanctuary where animals are happy and safe, while we see a toxic, disgusting, and alarmingly unhealthy space overrun with sickly, underweight (and sometimes dead) animals.

Animal hoarding is a mental illness, and people with this condition need help to understand what they're doing isn't helping the animals, and their actions are doing more harm than good. It isn't enough for a team to go in, take all the animals out and clean the house...they should also get counseling and they should be checked up on to make sure they're not starting the whole cycle all over again with a new batch of creatures. Some will say that's going too far and it's an infringement on their privacy, but I think once it turns into a situation where the health and well-being of so many living creatures is put at risk, a person has pretty much waived his or her "right" to keep animals any longer...at least until they've been rehabilitated enough to understand limits and the necessity of a clean, healthy environment for themselves and ANY other creature sharing their space.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 AM

3,884 posts, read 8,765,189 times
Quote:
You can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies