U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
3,849 posts, read 3,175,112 times
Reputation: 1692

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I said the free market provides services better and cheaper than government.
Could you give us some examples of the services you think the free market does a better, cheaper job of than government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,230,224 times
Reputation: 27525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You too do not understand the difference in Progressive ideology and Conservative ideology.

Just because they have an R by their name, does not automatically place the Conservative ideology to their agenda.(GW. Bush... John McCain are not true Conservatives. Was Republican FDR Conservative?)
I would venture to say that FDR was probably the most progressive President this country has ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 AM
 
17,022 posts, read 9,131,271 times
Reputation: 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You can come out from under that rock and get educated by the truth, now.

You have obviously confused Conservative with the Republican label, once again.

Both Republicans and especially Democrats have leaned Progressive for so long it is confusing. FDR a Republican, was just as Progressive as Wilson, a Democrat, was.

If we can get the Progressives out of both parties, you will see a move to a stronger nation.
Note the amount of true Conservatives, elected to office in National, State and local elections, Nov, 2nd, 2010!!!! What does that tell us, using common sense. I see it perfectly clear.

A Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 AM
 
11,145 posts, read 13,576,364 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You too do not understand the difference in Progressive ideology and Conservative ideology.

Just because they have an R by their name, does not automatically place the Conservative ideology to their agenda.(GW. Bush... John McCain are not true Conservatives. Was Republican FDR Conservative?)
I understand quite clearly what a Conservative is. There are, however, many factions who self-identify as conservative that advocate for big government. Social Conservatives, who make up a huge portion of conservativism in the United States, seek expanded government control over our lives based on their values. What you descibe is more akin to Libertarianism, not Conservatism. Conservatism, as defined above, is simply an adherenece to the status quo and a desire for slow change. Many conservatives use government to fulfill that objective.

Also - FDR was a Democrat, not a Republican. He's really the one who ushered in the transition of conservatism away from the southern Democratic base to the Republicans, being finalized with the Civil Rights Law by Johnson. I'm not sure you're as informed on these issues as you seem to think you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
3,849 posts, read 3,175,112 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Proven over and over again, women had the right to vote in many states before 1920. Nationally, it was to get the woman's vote for the democrats... Harding won the next Presidential election hands down, by getting the women's votes.
Democrats did not approve of the civil rights act. JFK voted NO twice on it. More Republicans voted yes than Democrats, by 2-1.

But Democrats were more conservative than they are now.
Once again - this thread is NOT about Republican vs Democrat; it is about Conservative vs Liberal. And in 1920, the Democrats were the Conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
61,169 posts, read 31,007,198 times
Reputation: 13029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
A Democrat.

Excuse me??

Got a link?


Point made and confirmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM
 
11,145 posts, read 13,576,364 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The truth.

The past, no matter which party you chose, you got a Progressive slant to the agenda.

Nov. 2nd, 2010, was a Tea Party Constitutional Conservative, landslide.
Some Progressives made it back in(McCain).

Look at Chris Cristie from NJ, would you classify him as Progressive or Conservative?
He has a very good rating from both voting democrats and republicans.
The Tea Party's just a very predictable and expected reaction to a recessed economy and a minority, left-of-center president. Such movements arise everytime the economy goes down or Democrats take power. There was a similar uprising when Clinton was elected. Then most people realized he was actually a pretty good president, similar to Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
61,169 posts, read 31,007,198 times
Reputation: 13029
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Once again - this thread is NOT about Republican vs Democrat; it is about Conservative vs Liberal. And in 1920, the Democrats were the Conservatives.

NO, you don't get it. Only the Southern Democrats were Conservative in nature, by not all. The Northern Democrat in places like Wisconsin, were influenced by Marxism, but not all northern Democrats.

Your the perfect example of what they were molding. A confused and mislead citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
61,169 posts, read 31,007,198 times
Reputation: 13029
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Could you give us some examples of the services you think the free market does a better, cheaper job of than government?

I'll start it off...
Return on SS, compared to private investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,230,224 times
Reputation: 27525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I understand quite clearly what a Conservative is. There are, however, many factions who self-identify as conservative that advocate for big government. Social Conservatives, who make up a huge portion of conservativism in the United States, seek expanded government control over our lives based on their values. What you descibe is more akin to Libertarianism, not Conservatism. Conservatism, as defined above, is simply an adherenece to the status quo and a desire for slow change. Many conservatives use government to fulfill that objective.

Also - FDR was a Democrat, not a Republican. He's really the one who ushered in the transition of conservatism away from the southern Democratic base to the Republicans, being finalized with the Civil Rights Law by Johnson. I'm not sure you're as informed on these issues as you seem to think you are.
That would be liberal conservatives, not social conservatives. The key word is "expanded".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top