U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:57 PM

85,089 posts, read 99,190,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You are responding to person who thinks it's a good idea for all the same reasons we think it's bad.
Who's this "we" Kemosabe? Is there some sort of RW cabal here on CD who all get together to decide on how "we" think? I see this a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 844,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I already carry several forms of ID, depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Everyone has some form of ID, unless they are purposely trying to go totally off-grid. I don't see anything "scary" about it at all. I think people get upset over the what-if's, but that's typical.
Seems to me that if you talk to people with significant law enforcement background, you will find out why there are enormous potential problems with things like this. First, a huge data base with lots of personal, private information about YOU. The reality is that those kinds of data bases often have incorrect information and can be abused beyond your wildest imagine. It happens a lot in law enforcement. Do you know anything about the NCIC data base? One big problem with a national ID is this idea of containing bio information and an ability to track you wherever you go. Doesn't that seem like an invasion of privacy to you?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who's this "we" Kemosabe? Is there some sort of RW cabal here on CD who all get together to decide on how "we" think? I see this a lot.
Good catch.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,304,056 times
Your papers Comrade

Old 03-05-2011, 01:08 PM

26,854 posts, read 15,100,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Context is your friend:
"we"-those of us against the National ID card.

Carry on with your partisan schoolyard games.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM

85,089 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Over on the Denver forum, a person from the UK once asked if s/he (can't remember which) should get a CO driver's licesnse or just use their international license. A fellow Brit said get the CO license b/c in this country we use DLs similarly to the ID card in Britain.

There was just an article in our local paper today about how hard it is for the bars in Boulder to card people b/c so many forms of ID are acceptable.

Boulder police see spike in fake IDs - Boulder Daily Camera

I don't really have an opinion on this, as I haven't looked into it much, just sayin'.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Context is your friend:
"we"-those of us against the National ID card.

Carry on with your partisan schoolyard games.
It MAY come as a surprise to you that on this issue you are in agreement with the ACLU.......and then it may not be a surprise to you. For me, not a surprise at all. I generally agree with the ACLU.

"The American Civil Liberties Union, ... wasted no time in blasting the plan.

“Creating a biometric national ID will not only be astronomically expensive, it will usher government into the very center of our lives. Every worker in America will need a government permission slip in order to work. And all of this will come with a new federal bureaucracy — one that combines the worst elements of the DMV and the TSA,” said Christopher Calabrese, ACLU legislative counsel.

“America’s broken immigration system needs real, workable reform, but it cannot come at the expense of privacy and individual freedoms,” Calabrese added.

Dems spark alarm with call for national ID card - TheHill.com

Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,214,451 times
Feel safe folks. Passports have had biometric info for a while. That is the only type of passport you can get. It's been documented at the airport that wireless laptops near the passport checking area was able to pick up the info on the passport.
This is called "wireless identity theft".
Wireless identity theft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hackers tried to break 20 different cards with chips..they cracked all 20.

In 2008 Elvis went to Amsterdam. His biometric passport says so !
Elvis has left the border: ePassport faking guide unleashed ? The Register

One can even hack and make up a country along with a code and get through.
This is because not every country checks the other country. Just like these "no fly lists" kept by every country but not shared.

Yup..feel safe.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Location: 22 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
23,464 posts, read 13,118,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Seems to me that if you talk to people with significant law enforcement background, you will find out why there are enormous potential problems with things like this. First, a huge data base with lots of personal, private information about YOU. The reality is that those kinds of data bases often have incorrect information and can be abused beyond your wildest imagine. It happens a lot in law enforcement. Do you know anything about the NCIC data base? One big problem with a national ID is this idea of containing bio information and an ability to track you wherever you go. Doesn't that seem like an invasion of privacy to you?
there is nothing wrong with the national id

millions already have one...I have two

my military id...now a retired id
and my government workers id
and on top of that I have a new york drivers license...why not just have a USA drivers liciens..like most of europe////when I lived in Germany we had a german drivers license..not a bavaria(state or region) licience..it was a COUNTRY license
even many of the CC now have pictures on them

as far as the data bases...there are thousands of databases ALRAEDY with lots and lots of info on you....shop at your grocery store..use the grocery club card...guess what..they know what you buy, and the average time you buy it..use a credit card and then that's another database

the 'biometric' is not anything to be afraid of either

Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 PM

26,854 posts, read 15,100,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
It MAY come as a surprise to you that on this issue you are in agreement with the ACLU.......and then it may not be a surprise to you. For me, not a surprise at all. I generally agree with the ACLU.

"The American Civil Liberties Union, ... wasted no time in blasting the plan.

“Creating a biometric national ID will not only be astronomically expensive, it will usher government into the very center of our lives. Every worker in America will need a government permission slip in order to work. And all of this will come with a new federal bureaucracy — one that combines the worst elements of the DMV and the TSA,” said Christopher Calabrese, ACLU legislative counsel.

“America’s broken immigration system needs real, workable reform, but it cannot come at the expense of privacy and individual freedoms,” Calabrese added.

Dems spark alarm with call for national ID card - TheHill.com
It's not a suprise if they are for defending civil liberties for all at the expense of none, as I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies