Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how is a national standard.. or an actual national id a growth in the government..it will infact shrink the state financial burden if a national id comes out..states wont need it then

the real question is why would you NOT want a national id???..what are you hiding???

you already have a national id number(ss) why not have a card with a picture on it??? are you afraid the big bad boogyman will come???

or do you advocate making this cost so much more because there are 51 standards....you do understand what a STANDARD is..correct
Human error and power hungry corrupt human beings are two of the problems with such a data base.

You guys who always throw out that "what do you have to hide" are actually the most vulnerable and naive folks out there. It makes me laugh every time I see that sort of thing. Who do you think you're dealing with in life, your Sunday School teachers? You faith in the "goodness" of all authority is, imo, humorous and a little bit sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
I think that's a huge problem with NCIC. It's sort of like trying to get an incorrect credit report piece of information "erased"....
but having a SINGULAR national id and database..and not 51 different databases would actually eliminate much of the eronoius info out there

ie
snuffy smith of nevada..nevada numberxxx-xx-xxxx has a conviction of ______...and snuffy smith of new york, new york number xxx-xx-xxxx has a conviction of

or
a national id

snuffy smith of nevada , national number xxx-xx-xxx1 and snuffy smith of new york national number xxx-xx-xxx2 both have convictions of _____

a national standard show the difference between the two..while the SEPERATE databased could easily get mixed up

Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
how is a national standard.. or an actual national id a growth in the government..it will infact shrink the state financial burden if a national id comes out..states wont need it then

the real question is why would you NOT want a national id???..what are you hiding???

you already have a national id number(ss) why not have a card with a picture on it??? are you afraid the big bad boogyman will come???

or do you advocate making this cost so much more because there are 51 standards....you do understand what a STANDARD is..correct
The "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" argument doesn't work for me (for the record I have nothing to hide).

I'm fully aware of the meaning of standards and have no objection to the implementation of reasonable standards of uniformity.

My objection is to the establishment of yet another unconstitutional federal database with myriads of opportunities for abuse.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" argument doesn't work for me (for the record I have nothing to hide).

I'm fully aware of the meaning of standards and have no objection to the implementation of reasonable standards of uniformity.

My objection is to the establishment of yet another unconstitutional federal database with myriads of opportunities for abuse.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Human error and power hungry corrupt human beings are two of the problems with such a data base.

You guys who always throw out that "what do you have to hide" are actually the most vulnerable and naive folks out there. It makes me laugh every time I see that sort of thing. Who do you think you're dealing with in life, your Sunday School teachers? You faith in the "goodness" of all authority is, imo, humorous and a little bit sad.
and your FEAR is quite sad...in all my years in the military and law inforcement..9/10 if a person is siting their fear of the government or of the boogyman government...they usually have 'something' to hide

Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post

but you seem to have no problem with the multitude of private databases out there that have much more info than the government has

in todays computer age..everything is databased...

Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
there is nothing wrong with the national id

millions already have one...I have two

my military id...now a retired id
and my government workers id.....
.................................................. ..................
as far as the data bases...there are thousands of databases ALRAEDY with lots and lots of info on you....shop at your grocery store..use the grocery club card...guess what..they know what you buy, and the average time you buy it..use a credit card and then that's another database

the 'biometric' is not anything to be afraid of either
I won't shop or rarely shop at any store that requires you scan the store card for that reason. Actually I might not mind if the store knew what I bought but knowing they will probably turn around and sell it to the government is not very comforting.

Stores ought to be able to keep track of popular items by just tracking their inventory. They don't need to know which person bought what thing.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
and your FEAR is quite sad...in all my years in the military and law inforcement..9/10 if a person is siting their fear of the government or of the boogyman government...they usually have 'something' to hide
Wrong. Your bias is showing. Strange that you worked in law enforcement and don't understand the potential for abuse of such a large federal data base with tracking capabilities.

(ps....it's "citing")

Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
In all my years in the military and law enforcement I never forgot my oath to protect and defend the Constitution. Arguing for the further unconstitutional empowerment of federal government is in my opinion contrary to the intent of that oath.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
but you seem to have no problem with the multitude of private databases out there that have much more info than the government has

in todays computer age..everything is databased...
How can you determine what my opinion is of private databases based on anything I've posted in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies