U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:39 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,301,031 times

Advertisements

That's hilarious!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:41 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,731,598 times
The left has nothing of value to offer society. Nothing.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,529,717 times
The book this show is based on was written by a Christian, for Christians. I don't think the title is appropriate (more for its reference to women), but the content is not an attack against Christians if you scratch beneath the surface.

I just wish ABC would come up with quality programming rather than resort to these "shocking" titles to get an audience.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,529,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The left has nothing of value to offer society. Nothing.
Why do you make statements like this? The left has fought to liberate women and minorities, it's fought to protect our environment and to ensure living wages and worker safety, amongst many others.

To say either political side has contributed nothing is rather absurd. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM

10,394 posts, read 8,344,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

How far do you think this would go if the religion was changed to Islam??
I would think there would some behead-ins.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,731,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why do you make statements like this? The left has fought to liberate women and minorities, it's fought to protect our environment and to ensure living wages and worker safety, amongst many others.

To say either political side has contributed nothing is rather absurd. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The left cannot make sole claim to any of those. I am a woman and a conservative and those issues were always important to me. The left has seen their best days and are on a path to destroy this country and civil society.

Last edited by dcsldcd; 03-05-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
These people don't just exist in politics and Hollywood I meet them everyday. The sinnin' saints who cheat on their wives, beat their kids, drink and cuss like a sailor, cut you off in traffic, etc but are holier than everyone else.

Then it gets tiring being told these people "are not Christians!" Yes they are, they "claim Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior" which I'm always told is all it takes. The hypocrisy from Christians is astounding. I thought we are not judged by our works but made "righteous from being washed in the blood of the Lamb?" Or do we need good works to be justified? Which is it? No one knows, even if there is a god I'm not sure he can untangle the hypocritical web his followers have weaved.
In earnest, not to convert anyone into anything-- if you mean to qualify your opinion & discern the difference between a good Jew and a bad, you would need to examine their books and look at how individual Jews conduct themselves. Their words and deeds not congruous give them away as charlatans. Equally true of Islam, Christianity, or any group you can name. Atheists/ agnostics would be better suited to be objective students of all these theologies and cultivate their eye who is for real and who is a prostitute in a socially respectable uniform. In their heart they're rotten to the core and paint themselves pretty so you cannot recognize them.

The film Devils Advocate sums my point up nicely. This hideous (lack of) character Palin sums my point nicely.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,715,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Excuse me, when the ENTIRE landscape is a competing brand of shock jock, you've lost something else in the process of demanding your individual rights. You're robbing others of their own to live peaceably. How many individual westboro baptists must we all be forced to endure? Think about it. Think about morons trying to run Amish off the road driving their horse and buggy. No one is entitled to be abusive to the rights of others if you really mean to have us all honor your individual rights.

Again, sincere criticism, constructive criticism, is very healthy. The ability to vote with your feet and say no should be your right as much as humanly possible. If you want your cake and eat it too it becomes another brand of injustice.
I disagree. Again if you shut down the shock jocks and Westboro, what is to say the next step wont be Glenn Beck and Islamic groups? Then what if one party wins in a landslide and has the votes and mandate to ban the other party because a majority doesn't think they are being sincere, or constructive? You have a right to ignore these people, you don't have a right to silence them. No one says you don't have the right to vote with your feet. You don't have to tune into shock jocks, Fox news, MSNBC etc. but if you start silencing them because you don't think they have valid criticism then we will inevitably start down the road of quashing dissent. People in Libya, Egypt and Tunisia are fighting for these freedoms we shouldn't be quashing them here.

As to running people off the road that has nothing to do with freedom of speech and there are already laws preventing people from reasonably inducing others to commit crimes.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:08 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,022,159 times
Quote:
I do absolutely understand what you're talking about because I see them myself in forums and growing up in the pews. If you'll consider the Bible as a reference book standard you'll need to examine the teachings of Jesus acknowledging to the flock that there are times religious leaders themselves are the most sick of all, and to take what they say with a grain of salt. When a flock resists leadership it's not a personality contest issue, it's because he has strayed from what they know to be true in their hearts. Those are sincere practitioners. They can and do vote with their feet often. Look again at the scandalous behavior that occurred in Catholic clergy-- the flock resists wrongful teachings and refuses to defend the guilty. Let those guilty be held to justice, and let the flock pull together to heal the victims of sick clergy.

Another EX: Once upon a time during the reign of terror there were sincere practitioners who refused to participate in klan activity when they were trying to install it in the church. They were persecuted for doing so and maligned/ lumped in pejoratively with 'scalawags'. The true voice of justice and reason in Southern culture got trampled over. Who tells that subtle shade of gray story in textbooks? The bullies of the south got all the press. What was true and righteous about southern culture got edited out by bullies of the south, not by damned yankees.
The fact of the matter is organized religion is nothing but a con game, a ponzi scheme developed long ago to keep the masses enslaved. The fact that religion lends itself so easily to tyranny and oppression speaks to the nature of religion itself. If you can convince a man that god told him to do something he will stop at nothing to accomplish it and will use "god told me to" as an excuse for the most depraved of acts.

Religion is a virus on mankind and the sooner we ditch the better. I don't agree very often with Karl Marx but when he said religion is the opium of the masses he was dead on.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,022,159 times
Quote:
In earnest, not to convert anyone into anything-- if you mean to qualify your opinion & discern the difference between a good Jew and a bad, you would need to examine their books and look at how individual Jews conduct themselves. Their words and deeds not congruous give them away as charlatans. Equally true of Islam, Christianity, or any group you can name. Atheists/ agnostics would be better suited to be objective students of all these theologies and cultivate their eye who is for real and who is a prostitute in a socially respectable uniform. In their heart they're rotten to the core and paint themselves pretty so you cannot recognize them.

The film Devils Advocate sums my point up nicely. This hideous (lack of) character Palin sums my point nicely.
The problem is no one can tell me what a "good Christian" because that answer depends on what denomination your talking to. Or if you're not into denominations that answer can very by the person. There is zero objectivity in religion, everything is subjective. I love the subtle way you called me ignorant but trust me I've done my research. I've spent the better part of my life researching various religions and spiritualities throughout the world. I used to be addicted to the drug of religion and it took me a long time to recover from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies