Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

Or would you rather have that money going to adult jobs programs?

Hundreds of teens rally for jobs at State House - BostonHerald.com (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2011_0224hundreds_of_teens_rally_for_jobs_at_state _house/ - broken link)

The group is urging lawmakers to support Patrick’s proposal to fund a youth jobs program, YouthWorks, at $8.4 million and a program aimed at placing youth in private sector jobs at $4 million.

Patrick’s budget proposal for fiscal 2012 supports an increase of almost $2 million to both programs, including $8.4 million for YouthWorks which received an infusion of $4 million in emergency funding last summer to bring the program’s budget to $8 million.

Probably showing my naivete, but when I was a teen, I lived about 10 miles outside the town, in the country. I'd borrow my mom's car and go to local businesses and ask if they had work available and apply for jobs. Who knew states were spending $12.4 million to find teens jobs? I dang sure didn't. LOL.

Flipping hamburgers sucked. Gettin' that little check at the end of the week, didn't though. (Minimum wage was $3.35) Heh, It was nice to have pocket cash for weekend fun. If I ever got a weekend off, that was. Gotta suck to be a teen today looking for work, I bet.

Some (teen) minorities are getting hit harder than others. Much harder. Like Great depression levels harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:20 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
It is showing your age, unfortunately.

When I was 16, there were not jobs to be had where I lived in Georgia. Grocery store baggers were the elderly or mentally challenged people. It's gotten worse since then (around 2003).

I live in Boston and it's somewhat the same- most grocery stores are staffed by the elderly or people with degrees. There are very few teens working- and I highly doubt that's from the lack of trying.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Due to lack of jobs the government will have to create some so they can hand out money in the form of a paycheck.

Adults are now doing what kids used to do as afterschool jobs.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Illegals are more than happy to take those jobs once dominated by teens.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
So teens aren't bagging groceries or stocking shelves (well, they are where I live, but just taking what's been said as true), but are they really not working at the malls? Are elderly and special needs adults really selling clothes at The Gap, The Limited and Old Navy? Teens must not be very inventive anymore. Maybe I'm showing my age, but when I was a teen, in addition to working at the mall, I babysat and did house/pet sitting for extra cash. I also mowed the lawn, raked the leaves and shoveled snow from the driveway and walkways for some extra "allowance".

I'd love to know how the money in those programs is actually spent.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
The money needs to go toward adult jobs. Most teens are not motivated to work these days. They have a car, cell phone, and allowance. Why do they need a job?

Old 03-05-2011, 05:23 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
get rid of minimum wage,coddling progressive parents and watch the teens get to work and bennefit greatly from the responsibility.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
I'd like to know why we need ANY program to get a job. If the job is available it's not exactly rocket science to find out. At most I could see an unemployment office doing this work since they will already be involved.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:26 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
ew. i didn't need a program when i was a teen to get a job. however i will admit i did get my 2nd job (or was it 3rd i don't remember) through my high school, which was a public high school. not exactly the same.

lol at that stupid sign saying 'youth jobs prevent violence!' ..how absurd. is that a threat? lol.if they don't get jobs they're gonna get violent on us? retarded.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
So teens aren't bagging groceries or stocking shelves (well, they are where I live, but just taking what's been said as true), but are they really not working at the malls? Are elderly and special needs adults really selling clothes at The Gap, The Limited and Old Navy? Teens must not be very inventive anymore. Maybe I'm showing my age, but when I was a teen, in addition to working at the mall, I babysat and did house/pet sitting for extra cash. I also mowed the lawn, raked the leaves and shoveled snow from the driveway and walkways for some extra "allowance".

I'd love to know how the money in those programs is actually spent.
The only teens in the malls around here are there buying things, with very few exceptions. Most people working are my age- early to mid 20s. If my group of friends is any indication, most of those have degrees.

I tried to babysit through college. Those jobs are even hard to get as parents are not going out like they used to. That also doesn't help teen boys (because like it or not, it's MUCH harder for a boy to get a babysitting job). Shoveling snow and raking leaves are not exactly lucrative business plans in a city where most people park on the street (an opportunity those few days a year to shovel out cars if you are in a part of the city where there are cars) and have landlords/property management cos that take care of the front steps.

I'm not saying this is the issue for everywhere, but this plan is Boston specific.

For those of you talking about when you were teens- getting a teen job in this millennium has been VERY different than it was in the past. It wasn't until my parents saw my brother and I (both bilingual English-Spanish) search for retail, fast food, etc jobs for after school and summer during high school and college that they realized how difficult it was. My parents worked in offices and factories during summers in the 70s and 80s. That wasn't a possibility for my brother and I, no matter how good our work and job hunting ethic was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies