U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM

6,335 posts, read 8,692,416 times

Advertisements

We've all heard about cases of gender discrimination in the workplace where men get paid more than women for doing the same work or lesser qualified men end up getting promotions and raises over better qualified women. The question I have is if much of this is true and is widespread then isn't this bascially saying that men are a bigger business expense compared to women? Why bother hiring more men if a company knows that it will have to pay them more and promote them regardless of whether or not they deserve it? If I owned a business I think I'd avoid hiring too many men who seem to be too much of an expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,373,161 times
From your descriptio alone it seems they are more valued.Lie always you have two people doing the same job and one is always valued more for a reason.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:54 PM

6,786 posts, read 6,889,685 times
In general it's because women get pregnant and usually bear the brunt of child care so there are more absences, school meetings, etc... that's often why women earn less because they take time off for children, and that issue will outway men being more expensive for some employers. I actually think most modern employers hire based on merit rather than gender, and more men are taking on more child care duties so many women will likely close the gap. There's no need to promote men or anyone who doesn't deserve it, that's why most employment is at will, people can be fired and replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies