U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
 
20,979 posts, read 15,707,564 times
Reputation: 10270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
How do you know they all earned it? I'm skeptical at best.
Because they have it.

Proof enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
4,771 posts, read 7,575,382 times
Reputation: 9744
The problem with our capitalist system is that good ethics have disappeared and rampant greed has taken hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
 
2,671 posts, read 2,717,339 times
Reputation: 1979
Capitalism in and of itself isn't all bad. What bothers me is when citizens complain about government social programs, and constantly say, "let the market work". If we let the market work there probably wouldn't be any farms since most are subsidized and some farmers are paid to NOT plant, the energy sector (fossil fuel as in oil, coal and NG) are huge benefactors of working peoples' tax dollars. What's more, the fossil fuel industry doesn't pay for many external costs. They don't pay for the damage they leave behind; the ecosystems destroyed or drastically altered; they don't pay for the streams that get buried when they blow the top off of a mountain; they don't pay for animals' that become endangered because many of us think we need to drive a Hummer; they don't pay for the doctor's bills because your kid has asthma due to bad air quality. They reap; we pay.

There's a certain group of American who ***** about giving people a hand up, but totally ignore the the big industries who are and always have been on the government teat.

Had it of been left to 'the market' they would have crumbled long ago. That's why I laugh when I hear people say, "let the market work".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM
 
26,881 posts, read 15,114,205 times
Reputation: 12642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Capitalism in and of itself isn't all bad. What bothers me is when citizens complain about government social programs, and constantly say, "let the market work".If we let the market work there probably wouldn't be any farms since most are subsidized and some farmers are paid to NOT plant, the energy sector (fossil fuel as in oil, coal and NG) are huge benefactors of working peoples' tax dollars. What's more, the fossil fuel industry doesn't pay for many external costs. They don't pay for the damage they leave behind; the ecosystems destroyed or drastically altered; they don't pay for the streams that get buried when they blow the top off of a mountain; they don't pay for animals' that become endangered because many of us think we need to drive a Hummer; they don't pay for the doctor's bills because your kid has asthma due to bad air quality. They reap; we pay.

There's a certain group of American who ***** about giving people a hand up, but totally ignore the the big industries who are and always have been on the government teat.

Had it of been left to 'the market' they would have crumbled long ago. That's why I laugh when I hear people say, "let the market work".
Another factless class rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,877 posts, read 4,042,332 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because they have it.

Proof enough.
Yes the government NEVER rigs the system to favor their friends on Wall St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,027 posts, read 15,654,303 times
Reputation: 7764
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I'd rather pay higher taxes and get better services than save money on taxes and have to fight the corporate machine to get essential services like healthcare. I'd rather tax the living crap out of the rich and corporations to ensure everyone gets a free education, a living-wage job, a home, unlimited unemployment insurance and guaranteed access to free or very low-cost healthcare and prescription drugs.



Instead of paying higher taxes for those services, why don't you just go buy them?

Maybe you meant to say "I'd rather some other dude was paying higher taxes... not me".

Sounds like a typical looser who's always saying "tax some other dude,not me"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,027 posts, read 15,654,303 times
Reputation: 7764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

Had it of been left to 'the market' they would have crumbled long ago. That's why I laugh when I hear people say, "let the market work".

Correct. Poorly run companies like GM would have crumbled long ago without government assistance. And that's what should have happened. We should have let the market tell GM that they were not competitive and they should have failed.

The government has selectively removed risk from the world of capitalism. So now we have Crony Capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,877 posts, read 4,042,332 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correct. Poorly run companies like GM would have crumbled long ago without government assistance. And that's what should have happened. We should have let the market tell GM that they were not competitive and they should have failed.

The government has selectively removed risk from the world of capitalism. So now we have Crony Capitalism.
Yet we have people assuring us that all of the rich in this country have "earned" their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,027 posts, read 15,654,303 times
Reputation: 7764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
You are eating up the propaganda given to you every day by the political party who represents the RICH PEOPLE THE VERY FEW RICH PEOPLE AND CORPORATIONS. They don't represent YOU. They are not out there fighting for people who make $50K a year.

You'll have to take off your blinders though in order to comprehend what you will find. RICH PEOPLE WANT YOUR MONEY BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE VERY, VERY GREEDY. It's a game of who can die with the MOST MONEY. Get a clue.
You are eating up the propaganda given to you every day by the political party who represents high taxes and a bloated government. They don't represent YOU. They are not out there fighting for people who make $50K a year.

You'll have to take off your blinders though in order to comprehend what you will find. All PEOPLE WANT YOUR MONEY BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE VERY, VERY GREEDY. It's a game of who can take the most money from me. Get a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,027 posts, read 15,654,303 times
Reputation: 7764
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yet we have people assuring us that all of the rich in this country have "earned" their money.
I have never met anyone who says "all of the rich in this country have earned their money." Please provide a link.

And by the way, GM is not "rich people". It's a few million workers and stockholders.... who got bailed out by Obama. Like a king, he chose who to bail out and who to let fail.

Bailing out GM has nothing to do with rich people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top