U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 PM
 
7,579 posts, read 4,053,399 times
Reputation: 1188

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
Our laws has as many holes in it as swiss cheese does. So, how is it, you do not think, they haven't the same chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Corporate cannibalism
Is an ignorant strategy. (yes, you made me google)

"A company engaging in corporate cannibalism is effectively competing against itself." Corporate Cannibalism financial definition of Corporate Cannibalism. Corporate Cannibalism finance term by the Free Online Dictionary.

I know you have heard of Jan-O-King. They market to building maintenance cleans, and I know of a smaller company who is in competition with them. However, I do not know their strategy be as such as you have brought up.

"First, the company wants to increase its market share and is taking a gamble that introducing the new product will harm other competitors more than the company itself." Corporate Cannibalism financial definition of Corporate Cannibalism. Corporate Cannibalism finance term by the Free Online Dictionary.

The, smaller industrial cleaning company, their competition strategy would be to offer the customer, consumer, clients, better customer service than Jan-O-King offers. I would be speculating if I said I knew what that niche is.

I know what mine was, "post construction cleans" in the area of new homes. Where I choked was when I was offered a commercial bid in a post construction clean. (at some point I am going to need to let this go, because if I do not, I will drive myself mad with anger at myself)

In a free market, the choice to use this type of strategy if ma and pa choose to do so, is there for the taking. I do not see where this strategy would keep any one from doing what they want to do...this is a higher risk factor, so why any one would choose this, is beyond me.

"However, corporate cannibalism often has negative effects: the car manufactures customer base may begin buying trucks instead of cars, resulting in good truck sales, but not increasing the company's market share. There may even be a decrease. It is also called market cannibalization." Corporate Cannibalism financial definition of Corporate Cannibalism. Corporate Cannibalism finance term by the Free Online Dictionary.

So, how does this keep ma and pa from climbing the ladder to success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,241,248 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Capitalism sucks. Period. I know that may sound shocking, but it's true -- at least of unregulated, laissez-faire "free market" capitalism. It screws the poor and middle class out of a decent living, while enriching the corporations that send our jobs overseas and making the fat cats even fatter. It is a disgusting, evil system based upon greed and avarice. It is based on the lust for more, more, MORE while stopping at nothing to feed that desire.

In a capitalist system, corporate execs will slash thousands of American jobs to add a few pennies to their annual bonuses. They will send skilled jobs to China and Cambodia, laying off American workers and forcing children to work in sweatshops for pennies per day. These soulless organizations will sell out American workers to save a pittance, reaping record profits while we grow more and more desperate. If people here are fortunate enough to keep their jobs, they'll see their wages slashed, pensions cut and benefits scaled back. When unions try to stand up for workers rights, the government moves in to bust the unions in the name of "saving money" (look at what's happening in Wisconsin). However, raising taxes on the rich and corporations is out of the question. The government gives corporate behemoths tax breaks and exemptions and even bailouts while cutting essential services like education and unemployment benefits. It is disgusting.

It's not just about jobs either. Take healthcare. A man works hard, goes to college, and gets a good job with health benefits. If he loses his "good job," he'll be out of luck, becoming one of the millions of uninsured Americans. At least in almost any other developed country, you don't have to worry about lacking health insurance because you lose your job. Also, what of all the people with pre-existing conditions - the private health insurance companies look for ways to deny them.

People keep talking about "high taxes" and how they don't want to pay taxes. I really don't get this. I'd rather pay higher taxes and get better services than save money on taxes and have to fight the corporate machine to get essential services like healthcare. I'd rather tax the living crap out of the rich and corporations to ensure everyone gets a free education, a living-wage job, a home, unlimited unemployment insurance and guaranteed access to free or very low-cost healthcare and prescription drugs.
Agreed fully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,991,437 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
The answer is implicit in your post above.

"Competition makes people strive for better, work harder/smarter, outwit their opponents and..."

Implicit in the word "competition" is "opponents" one is competing against.

How could a philosophy that, by it's own admission, turns individuals into "opponents" be good for humanity or humanity's ultimate progress and survival? Capitalism's flaws are embedded in the very language its proponents freely choose to describe it.

If you're walking around thinking that the goal is for everybody to outwit each other and that human relationships are properly conducted based on a model of competition and opposing each others efforts at survival, as capitalists openly admit they do, you have lost the debate right there.
Huh?

Yes, companies and individuals (as with employees) should compete to be the best. The best will always win. If you want to win and succeed in life, you have to do your best and try your hardest. Competition is healthy. Competition is a normal part of human psychology as well, so for you to say we should not be competitive goes against human nature. I fail to see how competition is a bad thing, and I fail to see how this makes me "lose the debate."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM
 
8,810 posts, read 5,366,201 times
Reputation: 3691
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The only way to prosper under capitalism is to be valuable to the rest of society. Those who can not, or will not, be of service to the rest of us do not like it. It is not more civilized to take from the productive to give to those who are not--it is a recipe for universal poverty.
Tell that to the Ten's of Thousands of family farmers driven out of business, and those who now are barely surviving through government subsidies.

Are not those people who grow the food needed for human existence providing value to the rest of society? How do they fit into your equation of success relativity theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,955,028 times
Reputation: 6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Huh?

Yes, companies and individuals (as with employees) should compete to be the best. The best will always win. If you want to win and succeed in life, you have to do your best and try your hardest. Competition is healthy. Competition is a normal part of human psychology as well, so for you to say we should not be competitive goes against human nature. I fail to see how competition is a bad thing, and I fail to see how this makes me "lose the debate."
Competition is not a bad thing when the results benefit more than just one selfish, greedy person or group.
Competition under capitalism means that humans are degraded to animals that viciously battle each other for a few crumbs just to survive.
Instead of enjoying life many are struggling just to get by.
So, the choice is; cultivate human qualities, or emphasize cruelty, brutality, greed, selfishness, and ruthlessness, which are capitalism's definition of competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
 
7,579 posts, read 4,053,399 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What you outline is what capitalism is about; many people have nothing to offer except their bodies for labor.
How about an estimate of how much a billboard campaign costs?
Finding a job to clean post-construction is fine. But would you like to do it as a career? For 30 years? How about if 5 cleaning jobs are available (at minimum wage) and 500 apply? What to do with the remaining 495.
Success stories are great. What about towns with high unemployment? Do we just seal them off and let the people expire?
How does a family of 4 survive on minimum wage? Got any tips? They would be well appreciated.
Capitalism reduces people to vicious animal instinct for survival. That's the competition. Toss a chunk of raw meat to the beasts and watch as they claw at each other to get a share. While those who are in control play another round of golf.
This system has been completely dehumanized. Someone already mentioned cannibalism. That's the one thing that is missing.
There is more to running a cleaning business, than just cleaning people's toilets. Yes, I did fancy it as a career and still have the blueprints from the customer I turned away as a reminder of what could have been. If you'd asked me about billboards in 2004 I could have told you the cost.

One of my residential customers I took as a favor to one of my new home customers, told me of a friend of hers. She told me her friend had an MBA and was a college teacher. She quit that job because of the political pressures were to great and she was cleaning homes. Now, whether that is true or not, I don't know, but seeing as how the woman I was cleaning for (wheel chair bound) was a former teacher at the Richardson College in, in Richardson TX, I don't doubt her word.

Ever, lived in a very rural area. I lived in one in 1993 its unemployment rate at that time was 6.9. There were many a home that I past, there would be a sign that advertised the in home business and services they had to offer. I use to think, wow, how industrial of them to think of it.

Signs of adverstiment I read were anything from electrical wiring, to automotive maintenance.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Without the market to go to and the freedom to market and take advantage of what capitalism has to offer, the invention is just but a person's idea, that may never see the (market) light of day. The right of the government would increase to lay claim to those homes, where they had a home business to offer... without free market trading available, they would only be able to grow only so much.

If you like success stories, there is one I remember from that era that aired on the Dallas news as a human interest story. A woman that was an executive secretary found a job that paid better in a gravel company than her desk job. She learned all there was to know about the company and how it operated and all there is to know about gravel. She then opened her own company. Her ending remark, made that broadcast memorable for me. She said, the best way to get back at men for making life tough on women...become their boss. (something to that effect)

If a person has the will to succeed, they can in a free market trade system. Without the ability to rise up to the challenge, their will, will wither and die away.

This is America, you can still be anything you want to be. All one needs to do, is apply themselves appropriately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
 
8,810 posts, read 5,366,201 times
Reputation: 3691
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Don't you find it ironic that you are arguing against a system that requires each of us to be of service to the rest of mankind in order to prosper?
I find it ironic that an educated person would say such things and make such broadly fallacious insinuations.

What "value or service" to the rest of mankind do these cornerstones of the system such as Goldman Sachs ... the Federal Reserve ... the World Bank ... and the IMF provide?

I'll tell you ..... historically, they have provided incalculable levels of poverty, suffering, destruction, and death everywhere their tentacles have taken grip. The "System" you speak so highly of is a well organized, tightly knit structure of parasites feeding off of humanity like blood sucking insects.

And these creatures are masters of manipulation ..... owning the mass media ... controlling the governments they've purchased, which includes the institutions of education. They aren't satisfied with just controlling resources and wealth ... but recognize how imperative it is to control minds, in order to maintain their dominance.

Sure, there are opportunities for the fringe scavenger to "succeed", but those pockets of success are becoming fewer and farther between, as the statistics readily and clearly show.

That's the general nature of ponzi schemes and pyramids, lot's of early opportunities .... later on, not so much.

The key element though is the mind control. The general population are literally grown and raised to be slaves to the system ... with ancient knowledge of the powers of the mind and intention known universally amongst the powers that be, but purposely withheld from the masses to keep them in their place of servitude.

Some of the slaves manage to overcome this programming, be it some form of inbuilt natural inclination or through unconscious good fortune, and are able to navigate the minefields of the system, and emerge at the other end unscathed, and sometimes better off than when they started. But for the majority, intentionally robbed of the knowledge of who they are and what they are capable of, as well as the processes required for true success ... they are slaves just as surely as were the slaves working the cotton fields in the distant past.

Quite by design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
 
15,414 posts, read 8,739,092 times
Reputation: 13786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The alternative is to have the other guy work while you enjoy "quality of life."
Have you noticed who they all want socialism yet they want to keep and enjoy what capitalism has created i.e. quality of life?
I once had a spirited argument with a coworker about "distribution of wealth". She thought it was a great idea. That way she, who wanted to just lay around on the beach all day, could do that. And me, who "loved to work" could support her. Should have seen the look on her face when I told her starving to death was a horrible way to die. But I'd be sure to fold up her beach towel after her burial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
 
10,543 posts, read 11,715,541 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Capitalism sucks. Period. I know that may sound shocking, but it's true -- at least of unregulated, laissez-faire "free market" capitalism. It screws the poor and middle class out of a decent living, while enriching the corporations that send our jobs overseas and making the fat cats even fatter. It is a disgusting, evil system based upon greed and avarice. It is based on the lust for more, more, MORE while stopping at nothing to feed that desire.

In a capitalist system, corporate execs will slash thousands of American jobs to add a few pennies to their annual bonuses. They will send skilled jobs to China and Cambodia, laying off American workers and forcing children to work in sweatshops for pennies per day. These soulless organizations will sell out American workers to save a pittance, reaping record profits while we grow more and more desperate. If people here are fortunate enough to keep their jobs, they'll see their wages slashed, pensions cut and benefits scaled back. When unions try to stand up for workers rights, the government moves in to bust the unions in the name of "saving money" (look at what's happening in Wisconsin). However, raising taxes on the rich and corporations is out of the question. The government gives corporate behemoths tax breaks and exemptions and even bailouts while cutting essential services like education and unemployment benefits. It is disgusting.

It's not just about jobs either. Take healthcare. A man works hard, goes to college, and gets a good job with health benefits. If he loses his "good job," he'll be out of luck, becoming one of the millions of uninsured Americans. At least in almost any other developed country, you don't have to worry about lacking health insurance because you lose your job. Also, what of all the people with pre-existing conditions - the private health insurance companies look for ways to deny them.

People keep talking about "high taxes" and how they don't want to pay taxes. I really don't get this. I'd rather pay higher taxes and get better services than save money on taxes and have to fight the corporate machine to get essential services like healthcare. I'd rather tax the living crap out of the rich and corporations to ensure everyone gets a free education, a living-wage job, a home, unlimited unemployment insurance and guaranteed access to free or very low-cost healthcare and prescription drugs.
How could you be tired of it? You have never lived under "unregulated, laissez-faire "free market" capitalism." I'm not saying we shouldn't have regulations, but's let's be honest about what we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,074 posts, read 5,146,990 times
Reputation: 5767
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I find it ironic that an educated person would say such things and make such broadly fallacious insinuations.

What "value or service" to the rest of mankind do these cornerstones of the system such as Goldman Sachs ... the Federal Reserve ... the World Bank ... and the IMF provide?

I'll tell you ..... historically, they have provided incalculable levels of poverty, suffering, destruction, and death everywhere their tentacles have taken grip. The "System" you speak so highly of is a well organized, tightly knit structure of parasites feeding off of humanity like blood sucking insects.

And these creatures are masters of manipulation ..... owning the mass media ... controlling the governments they've purchased, which includes the institutions of education. They aren't satisfied with just controlling resources and wealth ... but recognize how imperative it is to control minds, in order to maintain their dominance.

Sure, there are opportunities for the fringe scavenger to "succeed", but those pockets of success are becoming fewer and farther between, as the statistics readily and clearly show.

That's the general nature of ponzi schemes and pyramids, lot's of early opportunities .... later on, not so much.

The key element though is the mind control. The general population are literally grown and raised to be slaves to the system ... with ancient knowledge of the powers of the mind and intention known universally amongst the powers that be, but purposely withheld from the masses to keep them in their place of servitude.

Some of the slaves manage to overcome this programming, be it some form of inbuilt natural inclination or through unconscious good fortune, and are able to navigate the minefields of the system, and emerge at the other end unscathed, and sometimes better off than when they started. But for the majority, intentionally robbed of the knowledge of who they are and what they are capable of, as well as the processes required for true success ... they are slaves just as surely as were the slaves working the cotton fields in the distant past.

Quite by design.
You're hilarious. Why quiz me about three governmental or quasi-governmental organizations when I am talking about capitalism?

Look at the last one hundred businesses to whom you paid money by cash, check, or credit card. If you did not gain some "value or service" in exchange for your money, then you are a....[self-censored for violation of C-D terms].

Or were the last one hundred businesses with whom you did business a "well organized, tightly knit structure of parasites feeding off of humanity like blood sucking insects?" If so, why are you spending your money with them? Hmmmmm?

I do know from my experience in a competitive arena that I must provide value, to the best of my ability, in excess of that provided by my competitors, in order to prosper. My customers win, and so do I. All this hooey about slaves and parasites and the rest of it simply does not enter into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top