U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,239,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
we haven't had anything close to capitalism in 70 years, and even then it was not close enough, ... the OP just shows how much knowledge the average person lacks

The definition of Capitalism - is an economic system in which the means of production are privately owned and operated for profit. Decisions regarding supply, demand, price, distribution, and investment are made within a free market. (from -Capitalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The definition of a free market - is a market in which there is no economic intervention and regulation by the state, except to enforce private contracts and the ownership of property. (from - Free market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Ya, I'd be embarrassed if I created such an ignorant OP as well.
That is the system I described in the OP. No, the US is not a pure capitalist country, but it's darn close.

Such a system (pure free-market capitalism) is, in my opinion, greed-driven and pure evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You would like everyone to be the same basically?

No wealthy,no really poor,everyone the same.
Basically, yes.

I'm not saying there can't be some variation, but what we have now with the fabulously wealthy and the appallingly poor is unacceptable.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,609,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Basically, yes.
Thanks for the laugh.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,806,747 times
Quote:
Basically, yes.

I'm not saying there can't be some variation, but what we have now with the fabulously wealthy and the appallingly poor is unacceptable.
Who would everyone work for?

Why would anyone want to have a business?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 PM

572 posts, read 1,366,136 times
Quote:
They all have higher HDI ratios than us, they have healthcare and unlimited unemployment insurance, living wages. No, there are no uber-rich fat-cat billionaires there, but there are also no destitute impoverished people either.

Capitalism = great wealth AND great poverty. A capitalist system cannot work without both of these extremes.
Capitalism is based on reward for effort. It's also based on the FREEDOM to succeed or fail. If I'm successful and you happen to suck at life, what gives you the right to steal my wealth to pay for your economic shortcomings?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,609,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Who would everyone work for?

Why would anyone want to have a business?
It would be swell. We could all dress alike, live in the same exact houses, drive the same little cars and have jobs making widgets.

Utopia.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Capitalism is based on reward for effort. It's also based on the FREEDOM to succeed or fail. If I'm successful and you happen to suck at life, what gives you the right to steal my wealth to pay for your economic shortcomings?
That is just right-wing propaganda. No one "sucks at life," people just have different abilities.We all have a responsibility to take care of each other. It's not "stealing," it's social responsibility. You'd rather see people starve in the streets?

And conservatism is supposed to be the Christian viewpoint?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 PM

26,850 posts, read 15,100,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
It would be swell. We could all dress alike, live in the same exact houses, drive the same little cars and have jobs making widgets.

Utopia.
No cars, those would be for the ruling class.
We'd ride trains like cattle and ride bicycles on mud rutted roads.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 PM

16,755 posts, read 19,003,427 times
Quote:
That is the system I described in the OP. No, the US is not a pure capitalist country, but it's darn close.

Such a system (pure free-market capitalism) is, in my opinion, greed-driven and pure evil.
Pure capitalist society?? When did you become the non-capitalist expert? Because what you said was completely and UTTERLY wrong... we have a corporatist society.... its nice to blame something you don't even really understand...

Old 03-05-2011, 11:15 PM

I give up. There's no use trying to argue this here. Good night, and have a nice weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies