U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Some T-1 Line
520 posts, read 818,661 times
Reputation: 448

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
...Yes it DOES take money to cure something. You can thank those very government regulations that the OP thinks so highly of for that. Nothing gets done, with regards to researching something for the human good, without going through hoops with the government. And those hoops cost. A LOT.
Hey, ringwise, here is an example of a fine human being teaching you a basic survival skill - for free. Seems as though they (he and the camerawoman) were motivated by sheer knowledge sharing or a need to see everyone know how to make a fire. One poster even commented, and I quote "Great vid. Had success in starting a fire like this for the first time the other night. Was f*ck!ng over the moon........Took ALOT longer than this though. Cool post and peace out.

You might want to hold onto this one in case Nibiru screws us up on 12/21/2012 and you happen to survive, or our government takes away electricity and natural gas. But, knowing you, you are going to want to pay someone for the stick, wood block and juniper bark


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70I9FbvwQdQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Some T-1 Line
520 posts, read 818,661 times
Reputation: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So what's your point? You can google for the cure to muscular dystrophy, or treat cancer with info you get on a chat board? Good luck with that!

Here's a couple scenarios for you: your family needs to eat, so you go to the grocery store, select appropriate items, and pay with what? Or you need a car, so you find a willing seller with a suitable vehicle, and you pay with what? (hint: free advice from your brother-in-law is not legal tender.)
Didn't say every cure is known, genius. But, I can guarantee you that regardless of what you think, that if there were no money on this planet and there was an illness plaguing a community, they would not wait to create money first and then find a cure. In fact, you are proving the OP's point; that capitalism - along with the government - have hijacked this country and the world. In fact, if the government hadn't allowed capitalists to create all of this processed food and sweeteners, you wouldn't have half the diseases you see today. But, we'd be taking this thread in a whole new direction, so let's not go there.

So, here's my answer to your first scenario: I grow my own food, genius. Dandelion greens are one of the most nutritious greens you can eat - most people think they're weeds and actually try to get rid of them. Answer to second question: I don't buy a car, I'm fine walking or riding a horse. The Amish have answered these two questions for you.

Obviously, unlike the real Marco Polo, you have not traveled much; thus, your world is limited to material wealth. By the way, your avatar's namesake made it all the way to China and met the great Kublai Khan - all without purchasing a car.

Good luck, slave! Keep throwing money out the window!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,074 posts, read 5,146,990 times
Reputation: 5767
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Didn't say every cure is known, genius. But, I can guarantee you that regardless of what you think, that if there were no money on this planet and there was an illness plaguing a community, they would not wait to create money first and then find a cure. In fact, you are proving the OP's point; that capitalism - along with the government - have hijacked this country and the world. In fact, if the government hadn't allowed capitalists to create all of this processed food and sweeteners, you wouldn't have half the diseases you see today. But, we'd be taking this thread in a whole new direction, so let's not go there.

So, here's my answer to your first scenario: I grow my own food, genius. Dandelion greens are one of the most nutritious greens you can eat - most people think they're weeds and actually try to get rid of them. Answer to second question: I don't buy a car, I'm fine walking or riding a horse. The Amish have answered these two questions for you.

Obviously, unlike the real Marco Polo, you have not traveled much; thus, your world is limited to material wealth. By the way, your avatar's namesake made it all the way to China and met the great Kublai Khan - all without purchasing a car.

Good luck, slave! Keep throwing money out the window!
Thanks for replying. It is evident that you are among the most self-sufficient people in the country. Congratulations.

I would set you straight on one thing, however. I am not a slave. Capitalism set me free. And capitalism has also provided me with a great deal of spiritual wealth, after I learned that in order to prosper, I must be of service to the rest of mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 PM
 
5,915 posts, read 4,029,852 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Capitalism = best system ever
It is not perfect but there's nothing better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,955,028 times
Reputation: 6877
The only thing Americans understand is materialism, therefore capitalism is the greatest. The people have plenty of stuff but are hollow, just like the superficial society in which they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,896 posts, read 5,889,813 times
Reputation: 6056
Quote:
..marcopolo,,,snipped...General Motors bondholders suffered the additional indignity of seeing a large portion of their potential partial recovery shunted off to union benefit plans.
just a statement of fact. I have a client who has suffered this with the bonds he owned, as well as, his 100 year old mother.
It didn't make me feel too good toward unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 09:19 PM
 
26,850 posts, read 15,083,378 times
Reputation: 12626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The only thing Americans understand is materialism, therefore capitalism is the greatest. The people have plenty of stuff but are hollow, just like the superficial society in which they live.
A gross misrepresentation.

You prefer corrupt redistribution schemes run by the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
 
5,915 posts, read 4,029,852 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The only thing Americans understand is materialism, therefore capitalism is the greatest. The people have plenty of stuff but are hollow, just like the superficial society in which they live.
So you don't like to own stuff therefore you're not hollow and superficial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
 
56 posts, read 22,622 times
Reputation: 18
Default We have a denocratic republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Keep in mind that there can be different brands of capitalism depending on the country. There are no pure free market capitalist countries.

Anyway this breaksdown the different brands of capitalism.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan
a representative democracy......NO pure free trade and no absolute democracy. A mob is rule by the strongest, sometimes a pure majority. A wolf pack, is like a mob and the weak and poor and old are left behind. We have refined it . Sometimes it gets bent ot of shape.
my wike was in a not at fault accident, the person who hit her admitted guilt, the police gave haer a ticket. The other party had ALSTATE insusance , the adjuster for ALLSTATE LIED TO US ABOUT EVERY THING....I knew what was going on.........they tried to not pay all our legitimate expenses......they stalled and lied the whole time , Wife went nuts, but we got justice in the end because we knew the law. Our American Family Insurance Agent LIED ALSO...........we switched and saved $600 a year. Must be hard on people who don't Know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM
 
56 posts, read 22,622 times
Reputation: 18
Default I can see you have it ...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The only thing Americans understand is materialism, therefore capitalism is the greatest. The people have plenty of stuff but are hollow, just like the superficial society in which they live.
All figured out ...........such wisdom . AT What does your country excel Comrade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top