U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 AM

1,811 posts, read 933,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I feel horrible for people who even dare to respond with zeal and passion on the subject, assuming others wouldn't respond as trolls.

If you can't handle it, stop.
Troll on, my man, troll on. I respond in a manner appropriate to what I am responding to. If a poste is moronic, I flame it.

If YOU can't handle it, Play Doh 4U.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM

6,652 posts, read 7,145,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Your post must have a lifetime Gold Card membership in Club L. All you do by such titlting at windmills in continue your lack of success. Instead of resenting the successfull, you should respect and emulate them, so one day, you too could leave Club L and join Club W - like me!!
Quote:
I have pity for you and your distorted view of life. You live in the land of opportunity, of Milk and Honey, and all you can do is bemoan the fact that some who started earlier than you, worked harder and smarter than you, have more than you.

Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo...... Club LLLLLLLLL (self imposed) GET A CLUE.
Quote:
If your post thinks what I wrote is a rant, then your post is a bigger fool than I thought it was.
You do realize you are not discussing politics, you are just mocking someones beliefs. If you disagree use facts and reason.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 AM

6,652 posts, read 7,145,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
In fairness, success is a state of mind; it is subjective.

Maybe he is emulating Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King or Mitch Snyder.
Good ol Mitch is probably one of the main reasons I have the political beliefs I have today. Back in my Dem days I would repeat the "45 homeless people dying every minute" line to everyone.

Once I realized that he made that number up I set out to make sure I can back up what I repeat. It has been a 20 year journey and I keep finding more truths everyday.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM

8,815 posts, read 5,374,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I feel horrible for people who even dare to respond with zeal and passion on the subject, assuming others wouldn't respond as trolls.

If you can't handle it, stop.

Trust me, there are many more trolls than there are informed posters, and I fully expect it, and rarely wrong in such expectations. But, I don't really consider them "trolls" in the classic sense though .... they are just hopelessly lost in an illusory world of make believe .... having the unfortunate predicament of not knowing what they don't know.

The most annoying part though is the arrogance demonstrated by some people who are absolutely convinced that they are experts on matters that they have absolutely no true understanding of. And this describes a condition affecting a frightening percentage of Americans today, which is why it's so damned easy for the criminals running this ponzi scheme to rob us.

And the telltale sign of these types are the childish remarks and insults when confronted with facts that they cannot process and respond to.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 AM

3,151 posts, read 3,057,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Capitalism sucks. Period. I know that may sound shocking, but it's true -- at least of unregulated, laissez-faire "free market" capitalism. It screws the poor and middle class out of a decent living, while enriching the corporations that send our jobs overseas and making the fat cats even fatter. It is a disgusting, evil system based upon greed and avarice. It is based on the lust for more, more, MORE while stopping at nothing to feed that desire.

In a capitalist system, corporate execs will slash thousands of American jobs to add a few pennies to their annual bonuses. They will send skilled jobs to China and Cambodia, laying off American workers and forcing children to work in sweatshops for pennies per day. These soulless organizations will sell out American workers to save a pittance, reaping record profits while we grow more and more desperate. If people here are fortunate enough to keep their jobs, they'll see their wages slashed, pensions cut and benefits scaled back. When unions try to stand up for workers rights, the government moves in to bust the unions in the name of "saving money" (look at what's happening in Wisconsin). However, raising taxes on the rich and corporations is out of the question. The government gives corporate behemoths tax breaks and exemptions and even bailouts while cutting essential services like education and unemployment benefits. It is disgusting.

It's not just about jobs either. Take healthcare. A man works hard, goes to college, and gets a good job with health benefits. If he loses his "good job," he'll be out of luck, becoming one of the millions of uninsured Americans. At least in almost any other developed country, you don't have to worry about lacking health insurance because you lose your job. Also, what of all the people with pre-existing conditions - the private health insurance companies look for ways to deny them.

People keep talking about "high taxes" and how they don't want to pay taxes. I really don't get this. I'd rather pay higher taxes and get better services than save money on taxes and have to fight the corporate machine to get essential services like healthcare. I'd rather tax the living crap out of the rich and corporations to ensure everyone gets a free education, a living-wage job, a home, unlimited unemployment insurance and guaranteed access to free or very low-cost healthcare and prescription drugs.
The beauty of freedom is that we all have a choice to live elsewhere if we are not happy with what we have here...there are plenty of other places around the world that hate capitalism too...more in line with this way of thinking...

Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,778,336 times
GnT - This is why we have a representative Republic and not a mobocracy. Not that government by the wealthiest is any better than government by the dumbest. Some places have both.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM

520 posts, read 819,065 times
Quote:
I have pity for you and your distorted view of life. You live in the land of opportunity, of Milk and Honey, and all you can do is bemoan the fact that some who started earlier than you, worked harder and smarter than you, have more than you.

Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo...... Club LLLLLLLLL (self imposed) GET A CLUE.
Nikola Tesla, arguably one of the greatest minds ever, died broke and penniless. I guess his proven concepts of wireless energy transfer, the alternating current system and tesla coils makes him a failure and everyone who ripped off his patents, or brought them after he conceptualized and produced them, productive citizens.

Tesla's wireless energy technology, proven to work back in the early 1900s (maybe earlier, I'm no history buff and freestyling this comment), was suppressed due to the heavy influence of the oil industry.

Unfortunately, this is a Fascist government and allows the capitalists organizations to run it. A prime example of this would be (1) lobbyists, and (2) politicians who go and work for the very corporations they so adamently supported via legislation while holding their government offices (Cheney [Haliburton] & Bush, Sr. [The Carlyle Group] as an example. I'm sure democrats do it as well). It's also bi-directional. Tim Geithner had some big failures in the banking/financial industry before he was given an appointment by President Obama to run the Treasury; even though IRS employees are terminated for filing their taxes late or not filing at all, he had tax issues and was still appointed Secretary.

According to your criteria, these are the people who "started earlier than you, worked harder and smarter than you". Someone who just so happens to be well connected than I am, or someone like Ivanka Trump and Donald, Jr. who just so happen to be executives at some guy they don't know, Donald Trump, Sr., corporation, may not be smarter, but they darn sure did get a head start via nepotism. I'm certain that Will Smith's son, Jaden, fairly beat out 1,000 other actors to play the lead role in Karate Kid; it had nothing to do with his father being the executive producer.

In fairness to your statement, there have been some who have effectively played the game and managed to rise from poverty to princehood, but there are more attributes other than "working harder", "being smarter" or "starting earlier" that plays into how successful a person is, or can be.

I guess the person who pimped the heck out of his slaves was the person who worked "smarter"; whereas, the slave was just some dip$#!t loser who was too lazy or dumb to better their situation.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 AM

8,815 posts, read 5,374,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
GnT - This is why we have a representative Republic and not a mobocracy. Not that government by the wealthiest is any better than government by the dumbest. Some places have both.
In our case, what we have now are pathological criminals leading the hopelessly stupid to an inevitable and easily predictable destination.

Behind the scenes, these criminals justify their actions by this well demonstrated stupidity of the public at large. Since the crooks don't really possess a sense of benign fairness and honor with regard to their fellow man, like most shysters and snake oil salesmen, their attitude is if you are dumb enough to buy it, you deserve what you get.

And to a certain degree, I understand that mentality even if I don't agree with it. I liken it to my own experiences years and years ago in the car business.

I started out with the same impression of car dealers and care salesmen as most people ... shysters, liars, and cheats. Then, I found myself in the business, and realized a shocking truth. Many of the customers were bigger liars and cheats than most of the salesmen and managers of the dealership. That's right ... these people coming in to buy a car or a truck were SHAMELESS LIARS, and I heard every lie, and witnessed every trick in the book employed by these upstanding citizens of the community. On a rainy day, you could count on seeing a buyer come in who had a trade-in with paint damage or hail damage which the rain would mask if you didn't carefully inspect and look for that. We always had the customer fill out an appraisal sheet, noting the car type, mileage, and condition, including any known mechanical issues or damage. And not once but several times I had the old "Hail Damaged" trade-in that listed no damage on that sheet. Yep, that same customer who thinks that if the dealer makes a $1000 profit on a $25000 vehicle, they were ripping him off ... would find nothing at all wrong in trying to slip $3,000 worth of hail damage past the used car appraiser on a rainy day. The same mentality was being employed .... these people figured that it was OK to cheat a car dealer, but a crime against humanity if the dealer made a profit on a sale.

So the lack of integrity isn't just a top down situation, it's just more visible from the top. But it's everywhere, and this is the rationale I believe the gangsters use in justifying their criminal conduct and looting.

It's survival of the fittest ... buyer beware ... all's fair in love, war, and profit.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
What a mature response. I suggest you stick to the Xbox, and let adults deal with adult topics.
My resonse was appropriate for who it was to. don't have an Xlbox or wii or etc

Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
You do realize you are not discussing politics, you are just mocking someones beliefs. If you disagree use facts and reason.
there posts and positions don't rise to the point of being worthy of reason, for they contain no reason themselves. I used reason a few pages back and the children called it a rant. Obviously, reason is wasted on them, so waste I will not.

In other words, it is good enough for whom it is directed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies