Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 AM

86 posts, read 136,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
That is just right-wing propaganda. No one "sucks at life," people just have different abilities.We all have a responsibility to take care of each other. It's not "stealing," it's social responsibility. You'd rather see people starve in the streets?

And conservatism is supposed to be the Christian viewpoint?

The wonder and beauty of the American ideal is that in our system, you can work and strive toward whatever you WANT to. You have the freedom to do what you want, study and choose career goals as you please. One problem with that... there really ARE people that "suck at life" and it's sure as hell not my responsibility to take care of them all. Why do they suck at life? Because they live in an environment where you get out of it what you put into it and it's all about work ethic. Some people are lazy and have no work ethic. They want everything handed to them, they don't want to have to work hard, they want to sit on their butt and whine about how rough they have it rather than doing something about it.

I have seen a lot in my life. I have seen people that are the lazy, whining idiots that are unemployable. When I was younger and first got out of the Navy, I worked at jobs such as marine construction on seawalls installing footers, hand-unloading 100lb. bags of cement out of shifted loads in railcars, lugging 55gal. drums of bunker at the docks, etc... I had absolutely NO problem with doing WHATEVER. I would work 12 hours a day everyday and think nothing of it back then. I worked on educational goals and achieved greater things and made greater money as time passed but never lost track of a sound work ethic and a "can do" sort of mentality.

During the course of all this, I saw people that failed to perform at the most menial of jobs, had a hard time even showing up for work, had zero work ethic and spent more effort trying to get out of work than they spent accomplishing anything. I see it to this day... lazy whining sh*ts that follow human nature and blame their problems on anyone or anything but themselves. It's someone else's fault that they are impoverished in this country that has no limitations on what you can do with your life? It's all what you make of it. Work ethic, education and ingenuity come into play here and if you are lacking some of these attributes then you are destined to fall short of the mark and I am not your babysitter so it's not my fault.

There is one other factor that I haven't brought up thusfar and that is the fact that many people have poor money management skills to such an extent that regardless of assets and income, they are destined to be broke no matter what. People in this country have the option to make their own individual financial decisions and often seem to make the bad ones, such as going into excessive debt or attempting to live beyond their means and pay large sums of interest to do it. Walking a financial tightwire with no "cushion" or leeway, having no savings plan and acting frivolously when it comes down to financial matters doesn't help either.

Even the very poor in the US live better than most people in third world countries (I have been to a bunch of these places and know this for a fact!). Government interference with free enterprise is NOT to the benefit of it's citizens and we live in the greatest system in the world that would even be better if there were LESS Government involvement. There are no limitations or obstacles placed in front of you other than those you place yourself.

Last edited by GavinC; 03-12-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 12:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
The wonder and beauty of the American ideal is that in our system, you can work and strive toward whatever you WANT to. You have the freedom to do what you want, study and choose career goals as you please. One problem with that... there really ARE people that "suck at life" and it's sure as hell not my responsibility to take care of them all. Why do they suck at life? Because they live in an environment where you get out of it what you put into it and it's all about work ethic. Some people are lazy and have no work ethic. They want everything handed to them, they don't want to have to work hard, they want to sit on their butt and whine about how rough they have it rather than doing something about it.

I have seen a lot in my life. I have seen people that are the lazy, whining idiots that are unemployable. When I was younger and first got out of the Navy, I worked at jobs such as marine construction on seawalls installing footers, hand-unloading 100lb. bags of cement out of shifted loads in railcars, lugging 55gal. drums of bunker at the docks, etc... I had absolutely NO problem with doing WHATEVER. I would work 12 hours a day everyday and think nothing of it back then. I worked on educational goals and achieved greater things and made greater money as time passed but never lost track of a sound work ethic and a "can do" sort of mentality.

During the course of all this, I saw people that failed to perform at the most menial of jobs, had a hard time even showing up for work, had zero work ethic and spent more effort trying to get out of work than they spent accomplishing anything. I see it to this day... lazy whining sh*ts that follow human nature and blame their problems on anyone or anything but themselves. It's someone else's fault that they are impoverished in this country that has no limitations on what you can do with your life? It's all what you make of it. Work ethic, education and ingenuity come into play here and if you are lacking some of these attributes then you are destined to fall short of the mark and I am not your babysitter so it's not my fault.

There is one other factor that I haven't brought up thusfar and that is the fact that many people have poor money management skills to such an extent that regardless of assets and income, they are destined to be broke no matter what. People in this country have the option to make their own individual financial decisions and often seem to make the bad ones, such as going into excessive debt or attempting to live beyond their means and pay large sums of interest to do it. Walking a financial tightwire with no "cushion" or leeway, having no savings plan and acting frivolously when it comes down to financial matters doesn't help either.

Even the very poor in the US live better than most people in third world countries (I have been to a bunch of these places and know this for a fact!). Government interference with free enterprise is NOT to the benefit of it's citizens and we live in the greatest system in the world that would even be better if there were LESS Government involvement. There are no limitations or obstacles placed in front of you other than those you place yourself.
Great post!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:28 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Must See Chart: This Is What Class War Looks Like - welcome to the matrix, charlie brown.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:51 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
That is what nonsensical team based propaganda looks like. Nothing in that is reality, no 10 year projections have ever happened in government.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
The programs at risk should be at risk.

Good bye and good riddance!

It's funny how people don't realize that for every "right" a person feels entitled to, someone else has a responsibility to pay for it.

If these programs are so important to the recipient, they would find a way to take responsibility for it themselves.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
In fact, if the government hadn't allowed capitalists to create all of this processed food and sweeteners, you wouldn't have half the diseases you see today. But, we'd be taking this thread in a whole new direction, so let's not go there.
The gov't didn't "allow" them to do these things. The market (probably working moms) demanded foods that are easier and quicker to cook. The market (diabetics and anti-carb folks) demanded alternatives to sugar. Products that people do not want to buy do not last. Thus, since these products still exist, people are wanting to buy them. It's not my fault or your fault or the gov't's fault that they don't understand the potential health consequences. Producers should be free to create and market what they want, and consumers should be free to purchase the items they want. If they keel over b/c of it, well, that's not our problem, nor should be it be that of the gov't.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:17 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:

This is the best post I have seen to date on C-D.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The gov't didn't "allow" them to do these things. The market (probably working moms) demanded foods that are easier and quicker to cook. The market (diabetics and anti-carb folks) demanded alternatives to sugar. Products that people do not want to buy do not last. Thus, since these products still exist, people are wanting to buy them. It's not my fault or your fault or the gov't's fault that they don't understand the potential health consequences. Producers should be free to create and market what they want, and consumers should be free to purchase the items they want. If they keel over b/c of it, well, that's not our problem, nor should be it be that of the gov't.
The government exists to protect us. Why do you think some drugs are illegal, or cigarettes are so tightly-controlled? I'm not saying unhealthy foods should be flat-out banned, but they should at least come with large warning labels.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:

More stereotypical far-right claptrap. The poor are lazy, blah, blah, blah. I used to think the same thing (when I was a conservative) before I actually met people who were less fortunate. Get out and meet some real poor people--you might change your mind.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The government exists to protect us. Why do you think some drugs are illegal, or cigarettes are so tightly-controlled? I'm not saying unhealthy foods should be flat-out banned, but they should at least come with large warning labels.
It is interesting how the left (especially former hippies) have changed.

"Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign "

All of those things you mentioned are for control, not for reduced harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies