Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Wrong. Health "care" in the United States is run by the government. Has been for awhile now. We stopped treating like for profit busineess years ago.

Here's a link to an article about for profit health care. This is how it would be run the U.S. if not for the governments. The doctors were mostly trained in U.S. med schools also.

Market Medicine in El Salvador by James Dunlap

For-profit nursing home companies led by Kindred Healthcare Inc. and Sun Healthcare Group Inc. are likelier than non-profit counterparts to overbill Medicare for the costliest services, according to a U.S. government report.
Medicare should investigate instances in which companies keep patients longer, charge more for care and classify clients for more extensive and costly services than needed, the study released today by the inspector general found.

El Salvador has nothing to do with U.S. for profit healthcare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
I've read a number of intelligent and interesting posts that quickly turn into childish garbage because the poster can't refrain from throwing out some lame cliche' insult at liberals or conservatives, whichever they view as their opposition, or the idea that if someone has a different philosophy they must a envious or a loser, that's an easy insult that's just too absurd to ever take seriously. Do people honestly not realize how dumb and childish that makes them look even if their post made good sense? If a post can't stand on facts or intelligent opinions it's worthless. This could be a really good discussion if people can stick to using their grown up brains.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I've read a number of intelligent and interesting posts that quickly turn into childish garbage because the poster can't refrain from throwing out some lame cliche' insult at liberals or conservatives, whichever they view as their opposition. Do people honestly not realize how dumb and childish that makes them look even if their post made good sense? If a post can't stand on facts or intelligent opinions it's worthless. This could be a really good discussion if people can stick to using their grown up brains.
What would you expect from a thread that started with: "Capitalism sucks."

Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
I am amazed that people complain that corporation only want to make money - that is their purpose in life. They exist to make their owners a profit, and hire people to make the corporation a profit - for the owners. It is not, has never been, and never will be, altrustic.
That is exactly why I find the corporate structure inherently unethical. That's the problem I have with it. I know it's not going to go away -- human nature -- but I find it very unsavory.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
That is exactly why I find the corporate structure inherently unethical. That's the problem I have with it. I know it's not going to go away -- human nature -- but I find it very unsavory.
Amen to that. Have to wait to rep you again, After 2008 bailouts Im surprised more people arent enraged and fed up....the fraud and criminal behaviour by JPMorgan, Goldman etc., is clearly visible. The govt basically allowed and covered up the ongoing fraud by JPMorgan . Nothing has been done about it. People are sick of it....

Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Aside from the main objective, i.e. to be profitable almost every corporation has a mission which usually states how the corporation is going to contribute to the community.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM

Sadly, I don't think most people care. They're too busy with Charlie Sheen's latest comments or taking their kids to soccer practice to really wake up and take notice.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see employees own all businesses, all banks to be member-owned credit unions and all healthcare to be absolutely free. I'd also like to see all executives and directors (CEO, CFO, COO, etc.) be volunteers and receive no compensation for their duties as executives.

I know it will NEVER happen, but that's what I would like to see.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Amen to that. Have to wait to rep you again, After 2008 bailouts Im surprised more people arent enraged and fed up....the fraud and criminal behaviour by JPMorgan, Goldman etc., is clearly visible. The govt basically allowed and covered up the ongoing fraud by JPMorgan . Nothing has been done about it. People are sick of it....
There are many more corporations in the country than just those crony capitalists you've mentioned above.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Aside from the main objective, i.e. to be profitable almost every corporation has a mission which usually states how the corporation is going to contribute to the community.
In almost every corporation, the mission statement is meaningless bullcrap meant only to make the business "look good." It's all about the money.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
In a perfect world, I'd like to see employees own all businesses, all banks to be member-owned credit unions and all healthcare to be absolutely free. I'd also like to see all executives and directors (CEO, CFO, COO, etc.) be volunteers and receive no compensation for their duties as executives.
You shouldn't be offended when people assume you're a kid.

In the meantime, here is a question for you:
In that fantasy world you've describe will people be allowed to change jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies