U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 AM

93 posts, read 99,004 times

Advertisements

The things to think about when it comes to stocking up on food are

1. Where do you live?
2. How many people are there within 10 miles of where you live?
3. How many of them have stocked up on food themselves
4. How long till they all start getting hungry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,433,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Better to be prepared for a unexpected or expected event then get caught with your pants down. If you have not started this would be a good time to think about it, we have not felt the full effects of inflation of higher gas prices.
Personally, I like to be caught with my pants down. But that's a whole different thread and a different topic. Anyway, as for stocking up on non-perishable foods, I kind of go the other way. I do a lot of physical fitness workouts. And I take kung-fu and karate classes too. Last but not least, I stock up on weaponry. I do these things so when and if UFOs land, or the Chinese cut off our electricity, I'll just accost the provisions others have stored.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 AM

16,470 posts, read 9,330,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This economic situation has me very concerned and I am wondering if its time to start stocking up on non-perishable foods. I am uncertain whether 3 months from now if there will even be grocery stores with food, or a dollar that can even buy it if there was. If the collapse happened today I wouldn't even have enough food to get me a week without a trip to the grocery store. This is a frightening scenario. Is it time to get serious about this Y2K style?

Edit: I posted this in the wrong forum. Mods please move it to Politics and Other Controversies.
If the only way you can eat is by going to a grocery store, nobody can help you.

If you are seriously concerned you need to learn how to hunt, fish, forage, and plant, and do it quickly.

Last edited by cuebald; 03-06-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 AM

6,553 posts, read 4,175,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Personally, I like to be caught with my pants down. But that's a whole different thread and a different topic. Anyway, as for stocking up on non-perishable foods, I kind of go the other way. I do a lot of physical fitness workouts. And I take kung-fu and karate classes too. Last but not least, I stock up on weaponry. I do these things so when and if UFOs land, or the Chinese cut off our electricity, I'll just accost the provisions others have stored.
Well stay out of my town you might accidentally hit my place and we will be ready for you. We are loaded and have big dogs our first line of defense,our dogs will raise hell if a rabbit or anything is in our yard. Think about that, a animal with padded feet and the dogs smell them or hear then who knows?
You or anyone trying to take are stuff just because they were too ignorant to prepare are going to be fighting for their life just as we will be fighting for ours. If it is you I hope you die right away due to the fact we will not be giving any medical attention to save you.
We figure we are not under the Geneva convention since none of us were born around that time we are not a party to it we do not give medical attention,take prisoners, or let anyone escape. Keep that in mind when you have become a thief.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 AM

11,427 posts, read 16,705,377 times
I wouldn't go overboard but I do think it's a good idea to have a surplus food supply if for no other reason incase the trucking companies shut down in protest of the Mexican companies being allowed to work in the USA.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM

29,201 posts, read 18,475,553 times
So is it time to start stocking up on non-perishable food?

Absolutely! Consumerism is good for our economy!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,433,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Well stay out of my town you might accidentally hit my place and we will be ready for you. We are loaded and have big dogs our first line of defense,our dogs will raise hell if a rabbit or anything is in our yard. Think about that, a animal with padded feet and the dogs smell them or hear then who knows?
You or anyone trying to take are stuff just because they were too ignorant to prepare are going to be fighting for their life just as we will be fighting for ours. If it is you I hope you die right away due to the fact we will not be giving any medical attention to save you.
We figure we are not under the Geneva convention since none of us were born around that time we are not a party to it we do not give medical attention,take prisoners, or let anyone escape. Keep that in mind when you have become a thief.
Well the joke is on you. I have dozens of Korean-Americans on retainer whose only duty is to emits a filet mignon-like aroma that will throw-off guard dogs, or illegal immigrants, should you chose them as sentries.

And as for your not knowing essential elements of your pre-birth history, all I can say is that you will pay for this intellectual blindness. I know pre-birth history. For example, I know that my beloved Cleveland Indians last won a World Championship just about the same time that the Apache Indians last won a battle against the American Calvary. Yeah, alright, sometimes remembering history can be painful, but it's either that or ignorant bliss.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,794,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This economic situation has me very concerned and I am wondering if its time to start stocking up on non-perishable foods. I am uncertain whether 3 months from now if there will even be grocery stores with food, or a dollar that can even buy it if there was. If the collapse happened today I wouldn't even have enough food to get me a week without a trip to the grocery store. This is a frightening scenario. Is it time to get serious about this Y2K style?

Edit: I posted this in the wrong forum. Mods please move it to Politics and Other Controversies.
Don't forget to buy guns and plenty of ammo. You will need to protect all that food you are going to buy from the ravenous hordes

Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 AM

18,189 posts, read 16,535,991 times
A couple of bags of rice and beans with non perishable flour tortillas on top of canned veggies and fruit would last a while. having a month supply of toiletries would be a good idea also, as well as a gun just in case.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 AM

197 posts, read 353,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Don't forget to buy guns and plenty of ammo. You will need to protect all that food you are going to buy from the ravenous hordes
Well dang, there's always an added expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies