U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the $4 billion a year in subsidies to oil companies be eliminated?
Yes (D) 18 40.00%
No (D) 0 0%
Yes (R) 6 13.33%
No (R) 0 0%
Yes (I/O) 20 44.44%
No (I/O) 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,010,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Did you feel the same way when they passed out billions for solar research recently? You do realize the money is to research alternative fuel like ethanol, natural gas etc to power cars.. I thought liberals were all for alternative power sources cutting pollution..
Excuse me for not being a mega corporate shill, because I don't trust them, and that they are the last ones needing help in such areas, all the while the movement is against investment into other forms of energy such as solar, wind and like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM

6,652 posts, read 7,118,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I'd be in favor of that and in favor of eliminating ethanol subsidies for agribusiness. As far as the oil industry is concerned Id guess that they'd gladly give up the subsidies in exchange for the ability to extract oil and gas resources without undo government regulation. Both the sugsidies and the regulations are examples of government distorting the free market.
There is nothing free about the Oil business. They are extracting a limited resource out from under another limited resource (land). Just because they happen to get there first (after the government won it in a war or took it) should not mean they get a free ride to profit off of a resource that is all of ours.

I say cut all subsidies, charge them for the privilege of having a limited liability status protected by the government, charge them a fee for the benefit of profiting off the resource, remove most regulations and add in liability for the executives.

They would still have unlimited upside potential and downside, that is a free market, not just one way.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM

4,296 posts, read 6,116,687 times
You all are ignoring the biggest oil subsidy of all - the one where we take away their waste products for free and pave our roads with it.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The oil companies have experienced years of record profits and are in absolutely no need of financial help, subsidies or other handouts. If they were struggling financially, maybe, but they are not and in fact are far from financial destitution. Oil companies have more than enough profits to invest in R&D.
The fact that they have profits is immaterial to the discussion. They've also had experienced years of record losses and received no financial help, subsidies, or other handouts..

The question is, do you support government funded R&D into alternative energy or not? If you do, then why would oil companies be exempt from getting the credits that the rest of the country qualify for?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Excuse me for not being a mega corporate shill, because I don't trust them, and that they are the last ones needing help in such areas, all the while the movement is against investment into other forms of energy such as solar, wind and like.
You resorted to personal attacks in order to avoid the question as always, but you say the movement is against investment in solar, wind etc? Clearly you dont know that oil companies have invested heavily into things like ethanol, electric cars, gas generated vehicles, and so have lots of other companies..

Tell me how you can say that other companies deserve credits for investing into this R&D but the oil companies shouldnt receive credits?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
When did international, or even individual, petroleum companies experience "years of record losses"?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When did international, or even individual, petroleum companies experience "years of record losses"?
3 Oil Companies Record Losses - Los Angeles Times

and obviously, BP will post one for last year and this one due to the oil spill.. Are we now going to just give them money? I say no, but if you think they shouldnt get money, and your rationality is they are generating a profits, then the next logical step would be you think we should give them money for losses?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,010,717 times
Quote:
You resorted to personal attacks in order to avoid the question as always, but you say the movement is against investment in solar, wind etc? Clearly you dont know that oil companies have invested heavily into things like ethanol, electric cars, gas generated vehicles, and so have lots of other companies..

Tell me how you can say that other companies deserve credits for investing into this R&D but the oil companies shouldnt receive credits?
Well, only if you think of self as a shill of mega-corporations would you take my post as a personal attack. But hey, may be I knew.

Anyway, I answered your question, by suggesting that I do not trust mega corporations. Much less, they don't need "help" if they wanted to venture into research. Small businesses do. And especially those who dare or want to venture into solar, wind and other forms. No?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,297,253 times
Quote:
Agreed.. What did Obama spend on alternative energy? I'm willing to bet its over $4B.. (just a guess, but didnt they spend $400M on just ONE business)
Ethanol alone is above that, I think in the 7 billion range.

The other thing is cost per unit of energy, oil is fractions of a penny per gallon. Ethanol is at least 50 cents per gallon at a minimum, other estimates put it over $1 a gallon when other things like the farm subsidies are included.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,297,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Subsidies have their place and time, IMO.
Most of these subsidies are tax breaks, we aren't actually giving money to these companies but instead not collecting it. One exception is coal that gets a lot of money for R&D but very little tax incentives. Other than coal for the most part we are subsidizing production.

Ideally I think you "subsidize" every business in this country by eliminating business taxes for everyone of them. Any subsidization beyond that should be limited to funds for R&D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or