U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,730,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Was it Liberia or Sierra Leone that was founded by returning ex-slaves?
LIBERIA, there flag is similar to ours except it has one star, both countries has ex slaves from america, the english Caribbean, cuba etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,747,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
LIBERIA, there flag is similar to ours except it has one star
Yes,I remember watching a documentary on the civil war there,and how the people wanted the USA to come help them due to the historical connection.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,649,386 times
Quote:
Weird,here we have been integrated....
In South Carolina? Hardly.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 AM

4,091 posts, read 3,273,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Nothing new here. Lincoln's positions on colonization have long been known by historians and biographers.
And other enlightened educated people.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM

6,523 posts, read 4,157,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What you are describing is a position that Lincoln took early in his administration, what that changed over the term of his presidency as did many other opinions that he held.

Did he believe that blacks people were inherently lesser humans than whites, no. He did believe that in this country blacks would never be held as equals to whites not due to any inherent inferiority but rather as a result of culture and history. However, the strong opposition that Lincoln faced from African American leaders such as Fredrick Douglas and the effort of black soldiers during the war changed Lincoln's opinion on colonization but enfranchisement as well.

History Now. The Historians Perspective (http://www.gilderlehrman.org/historynow/12_2008/historian2.php - broken link)

I thank you for your post and the site, when I see your name I make sure to read every word. I have had some time to think this over and have a better understanding of Lincoln and colonization and relations with blacks. From the time of Lincoln's quote on support of colonization and the emancipation a whole year went by. And his views evolved :
Quote:
By the time of his death, Lincolnís views on slavery and racial equality had evolved greatly. Abolitionists, African Americans and Radical Republicans challenged him to abandon colonization and accept both abolition and black rights.
So it looks like the writer that I quoted only told half the story which could mean he had a agenda. Thanks for the site it looks I need to spend some time there.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM

528 posts, read 394,811 times
I finished reading Carl Sandburg's biography of Lincoln a few weeks ago, and he covers this issue regarding Lincoln's early ideas regarding what to do about slaverey/slaves- Lincoln originally wanted to buy all the slaves from the border states, free them and send them to a colony he wanted to establish in what is now Belize-he was discussing this with the British-he called a delgation of free African Americans living in the northern states to the White House to discus this idea with them , and they obviously did not agree with his feeling that whites and blacks could not realistically live together equally-he never, I believe, wanted to force freed slaves to leave the country, but preferred them to want to go voluntarily-later he thought that the U.S. could buy all of the slaves from the south free them and colonize them , thinking this would ultimately be cheaper than the cost of the war which was exhausting the govt. monies-later in the war,after the forming of black regiments and their service in fighting for the union, his policies changed a bit, believing these veterans deserved freedom for their valour, but he always had the idea of the colonization in the back of his mind- this has always been known to historians who bothered to get past the generalizations that one finds in school history books-the new research materials that have come to light out of London, that are making recent news, show he was STILL disucussing the idea of colonization with British contacts far later than was previosly known-if you read the emancipation proclamation it does not free ALL slaves in fact it makes specific exceptions that Lincoln made due to political backroom deals-for example, parts of Louisiana-Lincoln once said if he could unify the country without freeing the slaves he would- his only concern was the protection of the union, the freeing of slaves just became politically the thing to do to keep european powers from recognizing the Confederacy or entering the war to stop the cotton famine that Lincoln's blockade of the south had created in europe-

Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM

10,963 posts, read 7,761,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Apparently it is WELL-known to historians that Lincoln wanted to free blacks but wanted them OUT of the country as well, he promoted colonization of blacks to Central America, public and privately. I remember Obama saying he was a Lincoln expert and I wondered if he knew this about Lincoln...

Does that make Lincoln a racist?

New book sheds new light on Lincoln's racial views - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lincoln_colonization - broken link)
Just think about all the trouble he would have save this country if he had of been able to carry out his plans.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Having lived here half my life here(20+ years) I might know a little....
Very little!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Did you catch the part where troops were used to gun down draft protesters, just think of the protest that are going on today and people being gunned down. We all would be in shock and I am sure the people in that era were too. Think of that from both sides of the aisle Lincoln is held up on a pedestal as a great POTUS.
Let's put myths to rest
Kinda like National Guard troops gunned down anti-war protestors at Kent State University in 1970 under the Nixon Administration.

Gotcha!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,073,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I thank you for your post and the site, when I see your name I make sure to read every word. I have had some time to think this over and have a better understanding of Lincoln and colonization and relations with blacks. From the time of Lincoln's quote on support of colonization and the emancipation a whole year went by. And his views evolved
Frankly, I am stunned by your response. Most folks on in the Politics and Other Controversies folder don't come here to learn anything, just spout off their latest opinion, so it is a rare occasion when some one comes here to post an opinion but who is open minded to share and learn and rarer still to admit that their original position was in err. While I can give you a rep point, which I will. I would like to also publicly state that you are a refreshing addition to our little contentious family. I applaud you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies