Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

I think gas prices will come back down, they are high right now because of manipulation and speculation. I had hoped car prices would come down for the bigger SUVS but they didn't so I don't really expect them to now. Electric cars will be a major disappointment but may be forced on a disapproving public to some degree by the government subsidizing them. If the government stops doing that, their sales will decrease a great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
desertdetroiter = "Large families just drove cars, like everyone else." Car seats weren't required way back when (nor seatbelts).

There aren't that many vehicles that can handle 2 car seats and a booster seat plus a couple of adults. Plus all the stuff. My Ford Explorer provides all that in comfort.
What do you need "all the stuff" for? A few diapers, a bottle, some toys...
Really, people did it without SUVs even after seatbelts and childseats were required.
They continue to do so!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
One really has to decide overall cost when deciding what they can afford. A hybird unless bought at when a tax break was allowed is overall ot a good value comapred to other vehicles of simialr size fro wehat i have seen. Butthen a small car when you need a SUV is always what is needed either.Even some of te ways that venicles are gwettig that better mileage has a cost lookig at the cost of vehicles now and to reapir. Nothing is free as always.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The back seat of an Explorer is no larger than the back seat of a Taurus. You can easily fit two car seats and a booster seat in the back seat of a Taurus. That's just the truth.
An explorer offers a 3rd row of seating and when not being used as seating, its storage area.. Does a Taurus have 3rd row seating? I've had a Taurus, and an explorer.. I clearly remember more seating being available in an Explorer.. Maybe you have a special Taurus, not available to the rest of us.
Quote:
And the front seat of an Explorer is no more comfortable than the front seats and leg room of a Taurus either. Like i said, you can buy things things and easily convince yourself that you need it, but American families did fine without those things with LARGER families years ago.
No they did not do fine without those things years ago.. They had STATION WAGONS...
http://awesomefunnyclever.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/station-wagon.jpg (broken link)
A SUV is even classified as a station wagon.. THEY ARE THE SAME THINGS, except a SUV sits higher making it easier to load and unload, and they offer the abiliy to tow, adds 4 wheel drive.. its a BETTER station wagon.. Did you claim people shouldnt own station wagons as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Really,!
There goes the liberal response.. Why do you NEED all of the stuff... They will not stop until they dictate everything you "need"

Lets review the statement you are responding to shall we?
There aren't that many vehicles that can handle 2 car seats and a booster seat plus a couple of adults. Plus all the stuff.

Why do you need 2 car seats and a booster seat? Maybe he's got 3 kids Will you dictate how many kids he is allowed to have next?
Quote:
people did it without SUVs even after seatbelts and childseats were required.
They continue to do so!
I listed my requirements for a vehicle above on another posting.. Maybe you can dictate to me what type of vehicle I should have bought? Come on.. you want to dictate to others what they should have, how many kids they should have, what type of vehicle they can buy, so look at my requirements and dictate to me what I should have bought if not the SUV...

Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Meh....there weren't as many station wagons around as people seem to think. At least not in my memory. Large families just drove cars, like everyone else. Nowadays, it's pretty obvious that you can't find cars as big as a Pontiac Catalina, but then, families are smaller too.

We traveled in a Titan Motorhome, then later a Winnebago when i was a kid on very long trips. But for the normal jaunts around town, we were in a car...although my parents did have a station wagon for a few years.
Station wagons were popular however,up until they were no longer 'cool',then cam mini vans....then cam SUV's.

And you did bring up something,full size and mid size cars were, up until the mid 1980's, quite roomy.

You mentioned you preferred sports cars/sports sedans,what models are you referring to?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Really, people did it without SUVs even after seatbelts and childseats were required.
They continue to do so!
As you do not have children,you wouldn't know what is needed would you?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Something that happens almost every time this comes up is people single out SUV's as bad,but don't seem to do the same for other types that get less miles per gallon....

Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 AM

93 posts, read 115,960 times
I think its more that people like to say that the type of car other people drive is bad and the type of car they like to drive is good

Its good we have a choice in type of vehicle, because different types exist because different people have different needs and wants.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Gas prices dont affect what people drive, they may affect how much they drive..
If anything high fuel prices will force people to stop, or slow down, on all the wasteful driving so common in America. For some they may look for cheaper modes of transportation with some choosing the bicycle or commuter train in place of their SUV/trucks.

I,too, will not sell/trade my large SUV nor my full size Pick Up ,since they are paid for long ago, due just to fuel prices. I can adjust my use of both to make the fuel costs a non-issue.

I like what I own/drive and drive/own what I like!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I love driving my SUV. It is a necessity for both work and play, but even if it was not I would probably still drive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies