U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 01:51 PM

16,755 posts, read 19,003,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...quite the opposite.

But in any case, lame, lumbering and pathetic is the reason i won't drive one again. SUV's are actually worse than those three words i used, but i couldn't articulate how REALLY awful those things are.
My SUV has more HP than a car, faster than a car, corners better than a car.... I suppose if you drove the biggest SUV you could find but then what did you expect... even then these new SUVs don't lumber around... but then you must be a really reckless driver if you complain an SUV is lame and lumbering... ironic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:52 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,806,747 times
Quote:
Yea, they're designed for utilitarian purposes...i get that. But in America, maybe 1 in 10 are used for something more than a kid and grocery hauler. That's all i'm saying. This nonsensical attempt by some people to claim all of this utilitarian usage of these vehicles is just a load of bull.

I've got nothing against it. All i want is people to just make an honest admission that they want an SUV because they want to keep up with the Joneses and avoid the frumpy looks and stigma of owning a minivan. Because really, that's all it is most of the time.
That is why people rushed out to buy minivans,because everyone else was...

It is why people are buying crossovers,because they are the new thing.

We bought ours because the room is needed for going back and forth to our land in NC and the 4wd is handy in our area.It also has 275hp.

I would actually think that performance cars are a bigger waste and most people can't drive anywhere near the limit of their car,in fact most couldn't drive the limits of a plain jane Camry.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:34 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,775,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Always been an SUV owner until about 5 months ago when I treaded my SUV for a Hybrid. At first, I missed my vehicle but now with the gas prices it is a blessing?

Do you think move SUV's will be traded in especially in warmer climates or the gas prices will not affect what people drive?

I don't have an SUV but this thread can also apply to trucks too. I drive a Ford 150 and get about 12mpg on a good day, last time I filled up it was about $75. I can drive all week on one fill up but I do not enjoy paying $75 a week. We have a 98 Honda Accord that I am considering starting to drive to and from work as it gets much better gas mileage and cost a lot less to fill up.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,649,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'm sure it will be like a few years ago with the sky high prices. Everyone was trying to sell their SUV's that nearly couldn't be given away while sales for hybrids were off the charts with long waiting lists and many people spending well over sticker price just to get one.
Agreed, and when the oil price collapses people will go right back to SUVs. I am beginning to think maybe there should be a tax placed to keep gas prices at $3/gallon even if oil does collapse back to $30-$50/bbl. Of course no tax when the price is above $3 but if it goes below it should be taxed to give people the extra push. Then again, I am for lower taxes and a free market so maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea. Nonetheless, something needs to be done to lessen the impact of these oil price spikes.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:41 PM

6,406 posts, read 6,533,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I am referring more to others,it used to be funny how people would rant and rave over gas guzzling SUV's while not considering other more 'normal' cars.

SUV's are tools more than vehicles you want to drive.I wouldn't mind replacing the wife's Trailblazer with a full size sporty car,an older 7 series BMW or Jaguar XJ8.
I don't know that I'd consider a CTS a "normal" car. It's fugly, for one thing. Also, SUV's are supposed to have some utility, but the CTS and other gas-guzzling cars you mentioned are luxury vehicles. Their only purpose is to polish their owners' egos, as far as I can tell.

Context means a lot; if you are using a truck like a Tahoe for its intended purpose - hauling, etc. - then fuel economy is less important than the abilities of the vehicle. If you are using a Tahoe as a penis extender, well ...

Old 03-06-2011, 02:43 PM

30,003 posts, read 15,358,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Hand Those SUV Keys Over to Your Teen - KickingTires
"With their size and weight, SUVs are still the safest vehicles for the novice teen driver, said Art Spinella, general manager of CNW Marketing Research.
So, looking around to see who these CNW characters are, I seem to run into a lot of redirects. In other words, who is Art Spinella and what research has he done? Putting the heaviest vehicles in the hands of the least experienced drivers doesn't sound like a great idea for the surroundings.

Quote:
Ooh wait.. i'll source some more
Car accidents,accident causes,car accident statistics,car accident article,drunk driving accident?
Of the 16 most dangerous vehicles, 11 were small cars and small trucks.
A car hauling company's website? At least they have the decency to list their source, the IIHS. And the top scorer on their death trap list: Chevrolet Blazer. Mid-size SUV. Ooops.

Looking over the rest of their top-16 list, cars like Acura RSX, Nissan 350Z, Pontiac Sunfire, Pontiac Grand Am, Mitsubishi Eclipse and even the Mustang shows up. Relatively cheap, sporty cars, marketed to young men with ambitions of driving fast. I think I can make an educated guess as to why they'd be over-represented.

Quote:
Size is important because mass, coupled with acceleration, determines the force of a crash.
Acceleration? And here everybody since Newton has been computing kinetic energy as proportional to mass times speed squared. Unless the guy is thinking of deceleration.

Quote:
Injuries depend on the forces that act on the occupants in the car, not on how much external damage the car sustains.
This is actually true, and a lot of engineering effort goes into making the car absorb energy rather than the passengers.

Quote:
The force of a crash turns on two key attributes: the weight of the crashing vehicle, which determines how much speed must be absorbed during the impact,
The weight determines the speed?

Quote:
Seriously.. did you guys never study these things in school?
Enough to know the difference between mass, speed, acceleration, force and energy.

Behind the gobbledygook, there is actually a point. All other things being equal, a heavier vehicle needs to shred more energy in a collision. It imparts more force - the heavier vehicle is more destructive to its counterpart. That doesn't make it de facto safer for it's occupants, though - just more dangerous for vehicles around it. It's the arms race approach to safety.

Given the choice of driving a modern 4-door sedan (1 ton) or an M113 APC (11 tons) into a concrete wall at 20 MPH, I'd take the sedan. It will crumple and absorb the energy. The APC will remain intact and transfer the energy to its passengers. Mush. Sure, the wall will look worse, but that's not much of a comfort, is it?

And that's ignoring the active safety - acceleration, handling, braking, all that good stuff that helps prevent collisions. It is much easier to make a light vehicle perform well in those respects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Hubby has a Honda Fit and it is one of the best budget cars out there. Excellent gas mileage and you can fit much in the back - hactchback.
Love that thing. Somebody called it the TARDIS - bigger on the inside than the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think a lot of people - and especially women - drive SUVs because they feel safer in them.
The emergence of the SUV is a fantastic piece of marketing. Re-engineered pick-up trucks with passenger-car bodyworks, and they're sold as rugged macho he-man vehicles to the men ("HEMI!"), and as safe family vehicles to the women - at the same time. It's brilliant.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,806,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I don't know that I'd consider a CTS a "normal" car. It's fugly, for one thing. Also, SUV's are supposed to have some utility, but the CTS and other gas-guzzling cars you mentioned are luxury vehicles. Their only purpose is to polish their owners' egos, as far as I can tell.

Context means a lot; if you are using a truck like a Tahoe for its intended purpose - hauling, etc. - then fuel economy is less important than the abilities of the vehicle. If you are using a Tahoe as a penis extender, well ...
Those are the cars the poster I was asking drove.

what is a 'normal' car that seats 5 or 7 passengers nowadays?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM

32,188 posts, read 39,456,532 times
Since everyone is hacking on SUVs do any of you remember the Ford Bronco or the International Scout? The Suburban's been around since the 30s. These aren't new vehicles. The marketing was maybe.

Number 1 is the Bronco, numbers 2 and 3 are Scouts, number 4 is a Suburban. All are 1965 models.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:52 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,829,475 times
Quote:
If you use the 3rd row seat in an Explorer, then you have no storage space. The 3rd row seat eats that up completely. If you can fit a suitcase behind a 3rd row seat in an Explorer, then you'd be doing pretty good.
Wrong.. I can fit 9 full bins of mail in the back of an Explorer with the 3rd row seats up
Quote:
With the 3rd row seat down, all that you have is the roof rack for storage. And loading stuff up there is unbelievably horrible...taking it down is even worse.
With the 3rd row seats down, I can fit 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back, albeit with the back door open.. Can you do that with your car?
Quote:
And again, most families (who were much larger than families now) DID NOT have station wagons...period! Station wagons were never more than mildly popular, even at the height of their popularity. Most families had CARS!!
They sold A MILLION station wagons a year. In addition, a SUV replaced pickup usage, and van usage for many americans.. So whats the point? You have no need for a SUV so you cant understand how others can find use for them?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,829,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
An SUV doesn't necessarily make you safer. It depends on the type of accident.
Backup this claim.. Give me ONE scenario where a SUV driver and a Prias driver are in the same accident, and the prias driver ends up safer.. JUST ONE..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies