U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,147,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Being from Montana, I was surprised to see just how many full sized trucks, cars, and SUV's there were being driven here in Texas .. I haven't seen too many people down here scrambling to trade down for anything that gets more than 20 mpg.

Clear back in 2006 I saw the writing on the wall and downsized .. The smaller engine size for us has paid off in that with the wild fluctuations in gas prices, we're able to maintain the family budget regardless.

Ours gets 38 mpg and 27 mpg respectfully, and the only way I would make an adjustment, is if the price of gas reached $6.00 per gallon or higher.

Of course then too, owning your own helps. It's easier to bear the brunt of our failed politics with regard to fuel costs when you don't have the car payment or the required full coverage insurance to pay.

Irony .. both the Saturn and the Sonoma, are worth more now, than they were the day we bought them ..
I'm wanting to buy a Jetta TDI and get close to 50mpg diesel is a far better technology than a gas hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,678,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Should have gotten the diesel one, then she wouldn't be complaining
I didn't know those came with the diesel engines.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,489,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Always been an SUV owner until about 5 months ago when I treaded my SUV for a Hybrid. At first, I missed my vehicle but now with the gas prices it is a blessing?

Do you think move SUV's will be traded in especially in warmer climates or the gas prices will not affect what people drive?
my Ford Taurus and motorcycle get most of the miles, while my minivan sits in the garage. I'll still use it if we go somewhere as a family, or if we need to haul something home from Home Depot.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,490,104 times
I plan on buying a Ford F-250 crewcab this summer. Im just sorry my SUV now isn't bigger, wish I would have gone with a Tahoe.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM

31,227 posts, read 57,405,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Try again.. Even Obama takes credit for passing legislation making the changes which will result in smaller cars.
I don't need to try again; you do.

Obama did not sign into law the 1975 CAFE legislation; Ford did that.

Nor did Obama sign into law the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act, which aimed to exceed the CAFE standards set in the original 1975 legislation (signed into law by Ford). GWB did that.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM

899 posts, read 684,002 times
I'm not sorry I drive one, I'm sorry that POS is in the White House.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,756,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The original H1 did....for a while but then the poseurs didn't like that is wasn't fast enough...

Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,147,167 times
Quote:
The H1 model did and the fuel mileage was significantly higher than the H2. Drawback was the H1 was uber-expensive like a BMW 7 series

Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 PM

8,259 posts, read 7,183,699 times
Quote:
The back seat of an Explorer is no larger than the back seat of a Taurus. You can easily fit two car seats and a booster seat in the back seat of a Taurus. That's just the truth.
It's not as easy for a lot of people I know to get their kids in and out of car seats or buckle-the-seat-belt booster seats in a car as it is an SUV.

Quote:
And the front seat of an Explorer is no more comfortable than the front seats and leg room of a Taurus either.
Depends how tall you are. And if you like driving with your knees up around your ears or not. I've had both types of vehicles.

Quote:
Like i said, you can buy things things and easily convince yourself that you need it, but American families did fine without those things with LARGER families years ago.
And years ago, parents thought nothing of having their kids unbuckled and crawling all over the backseat of the car. Or flipping over from the 2nd row seats of a station wagon into the back and vice versa. Or driving with a kid in the lap of a front seat passenger.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,959,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Gas prices dont affect what people drive, they may affect how much they drive..

I'm not trading in my SUV nor my caddillac in for a temporary price fluctuation on gas..
Agreed. The increased gas prices would have to be sustained for several years.

Last edited by MIKEETC; 03-08-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies