Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
If anything high fuel prices will force people to stop, or slow down, on all the wasteful driving so common in America. For some they may look for cheaper modes of transportation with some choosing the bicycle or commuter train in place of their SUV/trucks.

I,too, will not sell/trade my large SUV nor my full size Pick Up ,since they are paid for long ago, due just to fuel prices. I can adjust my use of both to make the fuel costs a non-issue.

I like what I own/drive and drive/own what I like!
Your posting makes me wonder

How many people will actually buy ANOTHER car because of high prices? I'm not getting rid of my gas guzzers, but I have discussed in the past buying my gf another vehicle she can run around in..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:42 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
An SUV is even classified as a station wagon.. THEY ARE THE SAME THINGS, except a SUV sits higher making it easier to load and unload, and they offer the abiliy to tow, adds 4 wheel drive.. its a BETTER station wagon.
Exactly!! Which is why I'll keep my '93 Suburban 'till the wheels fall off!

Gosh, I hate the the very thought of buying replacement vehicle!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:45 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Your posting makes me wonder

How many people will actually buy ANOTHER car because of high prices? I'm not getting rid of my gas guzzers, but I have discussed in the past buying my gf another vehicle she can run around in..
Sadly, way way to many people will bail on a perfectly good car just to get a few more MPG with no consideration of the fact that simple changes in driving habits would save them lots more money.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
I'm not sorry. I love mine and I need my SUV, which serves me well. If I did not have it I would have to buy a truck.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
90 Pound Suburban Housewife Drivin' in Her SUV...
90 Pound Suburban Housewife Drivin' in Her SUV

Old 03-06-2011, 12:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
An explorer offers a 3rd row of seating and when not being used as seating, its storage area.. Does a Taurus have 3rd row seating? I've had a Taurus, and an explorer.. I clearly remember more seating being available in an Explorer.. Maybe you have a special Taurus, not available to the rest of us.

No they did not do fine without those things years ago.. They had STATION WAGONS...
If you use the 3rd row seat in an Explorer, then you have no storage space. The 3rd row seat eats that up completely. If you can fit a suitcase behind a 3rd row seat in an Explorer, then you'd be doing pretty good. With the 3rd row seat down, all that you have is the roof rack for storage. And loading stuff up there is unbelievably horrible...taking it down is even worse.

And again, most families (who were much larger than families now) DID NOT have station wagons...period! Station wagons were never more than mildly popular, even at the height of their popularity. Most families had CARS!!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
My SUV has one great advantage, it's paid for. In many models a hybrid will cost you at least $10,000 dollars more. How many miles will you have to drive before you break even?
As is my Expedition. It's good for at least 50K more miles (my husband says 75k) and we're going to drive it until the wheels fall off...

Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I love my SUV... I look at hybrids and laugh... not cause they are saving gas money but because of how hideous they look... gas prices go up but I could care less, I still rather drive my SUV than a hybrid... in the future, I would get another SUV... I think a lot of people don't really understand about SUV is that it is a more comfortable drive than a car... save your money and be less comfortable... I am not taking my money with me to the grave anyways, so I will be driving my SUV...

Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Station wagons were popular however,up until they were no longer 'cool',then cam mini vans....then cam SUV's.

And you did bring up something,full size and mid size cars were, up until the mid 1980's, quite roomy.

You mentioned you preferred sports cars/sports sedans,what models are you referring to?
Bimmer 5 Series, Infiniti Q Series, Caddy DeVille or CTS lines, Taurus SHO, or something like those cars. I'm a roadster man myself. My wife has a van, and i bought a couple of economy Chevy's for my son and i (Cobalt and Cavalier).

But a full size SUV? Hell no....wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Always been an SUV owner until about 5 months ago when I treaded my SUV for a Hybrid. At first, I missed my vehicle but now with the gas prices it is a blessing?

Do you think move SUV's will be traded in especially in warmer climates or the gas prices will not affect what people drive?
I drive an SUV and the prices don't bother me in the least. Before I purchased I compared the mileage between it and a Camry hybrid. I then compared the price for each. Assuming that gas would immediately rise to $6.00 a gallon (This was October of 2008) I calculated that it would take nine years to break even.

Since the price of gas has not risen anywhere near $6.00 a gallon yet I'm way ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies