U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,864,710 times
Reputation: 4207

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Weak.

Again, where did i play the victim card? Find a post where i've played it and post it.

And about your "better job" and firefighter peanut money....yea, ok. Whatever you say. Every conservative on C-D is rich.

Ok....so please elaborate on this post then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter
LOL...really?? Trust me, you have no idea. You aren't prepared mentally to walk in these shoes for even an hour, let alone a lifetime. This is something that you'd have to be born into...you're nuts if you think otherwise.
What was meant by that?


FYI: Firefighters make between 30-40K. I was in the mortgage industry for over 10 years and I've seen plenty of W-2s and paystubs from FFs. I never said I was rich but I certainly do better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,864,710 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Did you, or do you, protest the policies of private or public entities that hire nothing but white males?
Show us one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,864,710 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Have you ever heard of housing discrimination? It is quite real, especially in the Boston area.

Please explain the basis for your purported expertise of the Boston real estate market. Mine is based on over ten years working in the Boston mortgage market and interfacing with realtors as well as RE investors and landlords. Trust me when I tell you:
If the money's green nothing else matters. If it's a section 8 scenario it's even better still. Guaranteed on time rent payments from the state is something landlords don't shy away from especially in this economy/RE market. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,864,710 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, it is obvious that white males pay so much money into the tax system because they have the most income and wealth of any other group in this country. That income and wealth, of course, was earned at the expense of the other groups.

I forgot that anyone who's white, wealthy, and successful is evil.....unless they're a liberal of course. Thanks so much for that reminder. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they worked their asses off and made endless sacrifices in terms of leisure time and family life to get where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 AM
 
2,210 posts, read 1,529,655 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I forgot that anyone who's white, wealthy, and successful is evil.....unless they're a liberal of course. Thanks so much for that reminder. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they worked their asses off and made endless sacrifices in terms of leisure time and family life to get where they are.
Nobody said evil. They worked their asses off as hard as those that of another race because the playing field is completely fair and unbiased against minorities. In fact, if you're a minority they hand you a million dollars and a scholarship to Stanford.

The field is tilted and while those people worked hard, they had MORE advantages than their minority counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,864,710 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Nobody said evil. They worked their asses off as hard as those that of another race because the playing field is completely fair and unbiased against minorities. In fact, if you're a minority they hand you a million dollars and a scholarship to Stanford.

The field is tilted and while those people worked hard, they had MORE advantages than their minority counterparts.

Right....being white I was of course handed a million dollars and a scholarship to Stanford. Maybe if you're nice to me I'll show you the secret entrance to the White Guys Club where we congregate to disucss where the next free ride that we get because we're white is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:28 AM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,762,034 times
Reputation: 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypp View Post
White people racially oppress themselves, it's stupid really.

In countries in Europe such as the U.K and France and also in the United States and Canada we allow millions of non-Whites to come in, give them hosts of benefits and then tell ourselves we are the bad one and discriminatory... Really?
Europeans allowed non-White people in this country because there was an economic benefit dervied from their labor. Often the economic benefit derived also included exploiting and discriminating against these people.

Why?

While you wanted their labor you also wanted to deprive them of any measure of social, political or economic power.

I guess you didn't get the memo but those days ARE OVER!

Also can you tell me the "BENEFITS" a slave received or a Chinese immigrant received working on the Transcontinental Railroad?

Even today the majority of people receiving social benefits in this country are WHITE AMERICANS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 AM
 
2,210 posts, read 1,529,655 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Right....being white I was of course handed a million dollars and a scholarship to Stanford. Maybe if you're nice to me I'll show you the secret entrance to the White Guys Club where we congregate to disucss where the next free ride that we get because we're white is coming from.
Are the posts easy enough to understand? It doesn't seem like your fully comprehend. Should I make it easier?

I didn't say that Whites were handed a million dollars. In fact, I was making fun of your premise that minorities are being given the red carpet treatment.

However, I will admit that I've benefited from racism. See, housing VA loans given during WWII allowed my grandparents to buy a house in pristine suburbs at low prices. Blacks were not allowed to move in. In the 1970s, my mom was the first Black person in the neighborhood. They should have kept that house since it's now worth over 1.3million (San Diego, CA). They bought it for less than 25k, remember redlining was still legal when they bought their house. Well, they still sold it for a good profit. Prior to that, they were given better jobs and supervisory roles. My great grandparents were able to take advantage of buying the best land in Ohio and Pennsylvania. The family farm paid for my aunt's house and my father's tuition. That acquired wealth solidified my family as part of the upper middle class.

That money means that I will inherit a good amount of money and a house between my brother and I. Coupled with the fact that I will have a decent paying job by then (once I finish my masters) and my brother already makes a good salary, that extra money will secure future generations...just like it has since the 1600s.

So I know that my being part White has helped my status in life. I know that it's rare to have your parent's give you $3000 to move to South Korea (on top of a new car). I'm grateful, but I also understand that much of this is because previous generations worked hard in a system that favored them. They took those advantages given to them.

Some distant relatives of mine started AIG. I wish I were more closely related. But, nonetheless, I am where I am because of societal reasons along with the sweat from my brows and those before me.

Look, the fact of the matter is that Whites in general have more acquired wealth than most minorities. There was more time to acquire wealth.

Not every White person is rich, but the fact of the matter is that racist laws did help a lot of grandparents who helped their children so on and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,923,136 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Please explain the basis for your purported expertise of the Boston real estate market. Mine is based on over ten years working in the Boston mortgage market and interfacing with realtors as well as RE investors and landlords. Trust me when I tell you:
If the money's green nothing else matters. If it's a section 8 scenario it's even better still. Guaranteed on time rent payments from the state is something landlords don't shy away from especially in this economy/RE market. Try again.
I'm a black man who lived in Boston. I got all the expertise I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,923,136 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I forgot that anyone who's white, wealthy, and successful is evil.....unless they're a liberal of course. Thanks so much for that reminder.
Look, you're bringing in all that emotion. I never said any class of people is evil, but it is obvious from any standpoint that whites have always had an advantage in this society, especially white males, and that head start continues to perpetuate white privilege today.


Quote:
It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they worked their asses off and made endless sacrifices in terms of leisure time and family life to get where they are.
They worked really hard, all right. They woke up on third base and thought they got there by hitting a triple, while some of us weren't even allowed into the stadium. Spare me the narrative, 'cause I ain't buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top