U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,054,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Only a sap would believe that!!!...slave labor and indentured servants built this country, thet were usually black, asian, or southern European (white n!22ers) as the northern Europeans referred to them.

After slavery in this country was abolished, white farmers and plantation owners stayed rich with share croppers labor. States and counties stayed rich and got richers by unfairly incarcarating black men foe extended periods of time and selling them out for labor to whomever needed workers who had to work for nothing.

"..Magazine editorials applauded Georgia for having abolished the convict lease program, and for building more good roads than any other Southern state, encouraging other states to follow its lead. The race factor, for the most part, enhanced the enthusiasm for the chain gang as there was overwhelming white support for the good roads movement. The tragic plight of the black lawbreaker, however, was not diminished by the shift from the lease system to county chain gangs. To a southern black prisoner there was little difference between his situation as a slave on the plantation, as a leased convict forced to toil in the coal mine, or as a chained prison worker on the roads. The chained southern black man on the southern county road had been transformed from the plantation owner’s chattel into a “slave of the state.”

Chain Gangs - Roads, Black, Southern, Convict, Convicts, and Prison

Plantation prisons emerged in the southern states shortly after the end of the Civil War. Not surprisingly they were modeled after the slave plantation. Practically all of the prisoners were black, both male and female. They were sent to these prisons “on the flimsiest pretexts and then put to hard labor in the fields of these prisons, often in chain gangs.”[2] Prisons like Parchman in Mississippi and Cummins in Arkansas were little more than slave plantations which, along with convict leasing, extended the slave system long after emancipation.[3]

Prisons and Slavery: Seeking Cheap Labor and Control of African-Americans

Many of these prisons became notorious over the years, resulting in literally thousands of deaths. Perhaps the most infamous case coming at the Tucker Prison Farm where a reform-minded warden named Tom Murton discovered numerous bodies of dead prisoners buried in the fields in the 1960s. The scandal created quite a stir at the time. Even a movie, Brubaker, starring Robert Redford was made about this scandal.[4]

White men established laws to benefit only themselves, to maintain wealth, preveledge, and exclude minorities and females.

The government of this country was never inclusive of any others and fought to keep that system in place.

Please bring something better and factual next time.
You also have to realize that black men could be, and often were, arrested and imprisoned on dubious and nonexisted charges.

(edit) actually, you did mention that........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,684,526 times
Sure they are. God knows the vast discrimination white men face in this country.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,619,001 times
If you're not out on the street and struggling for your next meal, how bad could you have it?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:00 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,489,891 times
Default Are whites racially oppressed?

You tell me.

Why Affirmative Action Has Not Outlived Its Usefulness

Quote:
In their study, Clear and Convincing Evidence: Measurement of Discrimina-tion in America published by the Washington, D.C.-based Urban Institute, authors Michael Fix and Raymond Struyk report startling results. The organization set up job pairs; one half of the pair was white, the other black. Both were college graduates trained to act like entry-level job seekers and to be as similar as possible in their education, experience, openness, energy level, articulateness and even size. They went through mock interviews and were coached to act as much like the other half of the pair as possible. The jobs they interviewed for ranged from general laborer to management trainee.

The study found that white men were 45 percent more likely to be offered jobs. In a similar study that paired whites with dark Hispanic males (with excellent English skills), white males were 52 percent more likely to be offered jobs. These kinds of studies produce the same results again and again. There is a preference when it comes to male minority job seekers, but it is not for male minorities.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:45 AM

10,032 posts, read 6,907,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm a black man who lived in Boston. I got all the expertise I need.
Interesting....I worked in the industry for over ten years. I was involved in thousands of RE transactions and I never saw any discrimination. Again- green was the only color anyone involved ever saw. I live in Framingham. There's plenty of minorities living here. Obviously they think our schools are good because they bus black kids in from Boston to attend them. If you lived in Boston you know about METCO. The basis for this part of the thread was minorities are discriminated against due to inner city schools being sub par. My reply to that was if they don't like it move. There are tons of minorities in Framingham and they bus kids to our schools. If they don't like the schools in the city they can move here and the cost of living is less than it is in Boston. I'd love to hear all about your housing discrimination that would have prevented you moving to a town in Eastern MA like Framingham though.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Look, you're bringing in all that emotion. I never said any class of people is evil, but it is obvious from any standpoint that whites have always had an advantage in this society, especially white males, and that head start continues to perpetuate white privilege today.

They worked really hard, all right. They woke up on third base and thought they got there by hitting a triple, while some of us weren't even allowed into the stadium. Spare me the narrative, 'cause I ain't buying it.

Neither am I. Black people living in Dorchester and Mattapan who are smoking crack and shooting eachother have nobody to blame but themselves. Of course they'll all tell you it's racism and discrimination that causes all that. BS- the victim card is beyond overplayed.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 AM

13,190 posts, read 9,297,137 times
Dr. King taught that we should judge on the basis of character, not on the external characteristics of race.
But giving preference based on racial minority is anathema to Dr. King's message.
So why don't racial minorities object to getting special privileges?
Isn't that an admission that they lack the ability and character, and cannot compete on the basis of their own merit?
Worse, it discourages those who do strive for excellence, and rewards those who merely meet a quota.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Dr. King taught that we should judge on the basis of character, not on the external characteristics of race.
But giving preference based on racial minority is anathema to Dr. King's message.
Isn't that an admission that they lack the ability and character, and cannot compete on the basis of their own merit?
Worse, it discourages those who do strive for excellence, and rewards those who merely meet a quota.

Exactly. Also, look at the attitudes of the posters in this thread. They act like they deserve a prize because they're black and are living in this "racist" country.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:40 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,489,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Unfortunately, as study after study has shown, when left to their own devices, many in power still judge negatively on the basis of race. That in my opinion is the greater anathema to equality. Though I do not seek special privileges as a minority, it would be nice to have some kind of guarantee against the kind of bias that makes programs like AA necessary in the first place. Most would do well to redirect their opposition to the cause of the disparity in hopes of finding a better antidote for it, as merely sitting here and complaining about the present antidote doesn't do anything for anyone. Better yet, let's focus on preventive measures so that the disparity is eliminated at once before it even begins to take effect.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 AM

10,963 posts, read 7,807,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Neither am I. Black people living in Dorchester and Mattapan who are smoking crack and shooting eachother have nobody to blame but themselves. Of course they'll all tell you it's racism and discrimination that causes all that. BS- the victim card is beyond overplayed.
What about the White Americans in Charlestown and other parts of Boston strung out on meth and oxy and robbing and banging?

Where is your outrage?

Or do you just look the other way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies