Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,695,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Got any links to that?

Google is your friend.

And any white person who actually believes they are being shortchanged in the college process because of their race is plain ignorant, period. All this talk of asians being "overrepresented" in colleges is really code for whites feeling threatened that they won't be the majority. What rational fear is there of affirmative action anyway? That the 20% of minorities who live in America are somehow going to overtake the 80% of white people? That minorities are actually going to be equally represented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, that does not address the fact that if I start a White Guy Tetherball Club I am deemed a racist.
If you started a White Guy Tetherball Club, i doubt that you'd have black folks knocking on that door. And i also doubt that if you had the guts to open such an establishment in 2011, that you'd give a damn what anyone thought. That kinda goes part and parcel with doing something that's deliberately controversial.

Folks seem to forget that the issue was separate but equal. As a black man, i'm not interested in frequenting all white establishments. But where government is involved, if i have to have a separate establishment from the white folks, mine had better be at least as good as theirs. What white folks want to do with private institutions isn't my business. If they want them to be all white, be my guest. But if they own anything that takes a black owned dollar, i'll do my best to make sure that they no longer receive those dollars.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,950,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Got any links to that?
Myth: Affirmative action is an African American entitlement program.

FACT: Affirmative action benefits a broad range of people and communities that continue to face discrimination in this country, including Latino, Native, Arab, Asian and African Americans. The primary beneficiaries, however, have been white women.

Focus on Affirmative Action (http://www.aapf.org/focus/episodes/oct30.php - broken link)

Yes, I think affirmative action is a palatable, if mild, remedy to the ongoing discrimination that women and people of color face in Michigan and around the country. But this take isn't about cheering the court's decision to hear the challenge to race preferences or even affirmative action itself, for that matter. Rather, it's about the implications of the persistent, narrow belief that affirmative action is just a set of "racial preferences" -- when the truth is that the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action have been white women.

Read more: Still Getting It Wrong On Affirmative Action - The Detroit Blog - TIME.com

Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,670,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I am a WASP male and I don't feel oppressed at all.

It's really too bad that in 2011 we can't just get over "race" and accept that we are all part of the human race.
Some of us can't afford to get over it until others get over it and treat us equally. It's nice though, that you're a white male and don't buy into this oppression crap.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,026,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you started a White Guy Tetherball Club, i doubt that you'd have black folks knocking on that door. And i also doubt that if you had the guts to open such an establishment in 2011, that you'd give a damn what anyone thought. That kinda goes part and parcel with doing something that's deliberately controversial.

Folks seem to forget that the issue was separate but equal. As a black man, i'm not interested in frequenting all white establishments. But where government is involved, if i have to have a separate establishment from the white folks, mine had better be at least as good as theirs. What white folks want to do with private institutions isn't my business. If they want them to be all white, be my guest. But if they own anything that takes a black owned dollar, i'll do my best to make sure that they no longer receive those dollars.
I don't know if you realize this or not, but on this topic you can't beat me in a debate. I've pretty much got an air-tight argument. My stance is, We have a double-standard when it comes to race and the acceptance of racial organizations. White-based organizations are not soically permitted. Black organizations are.

I make a point of this because I don't think we can have racial unity until we all get on the same page on the importance, or lack of importance, of race in our lives. And I personally think that page ought to tell us to take race out of our collective culture. But as I've said, it's not exclusively my call. If folks really want to hang on to their racial identities, then it's got to be good for everyone, whites too.

As for your dollar, several years ago I was asked by a coworker to give to the United Negro Collage Fund. I said that I would donate $5 but only if I could give a 30 second lecture on why I am hesitant to support racially segregating organizations. She calmly let me have the 30 seconds, and I gave her the $5. Win-win... well, sorta.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I don't know if you realize this or not, but on this topic you can't beat me in a debate. I've pretty much got an air-tight argument. My stance is, We have a double-standard when it comes to race and the acceptance of racial organizations. White-based organizations are not soically permitted. Black organizations are.

I make a point of this because I don't think we can have racial unity until we all get on the same page on the importance, or lack of importance, of race in our lives. And I personally think that page ought to tell us to take race out of our collective culture. But as I've said, it's not exclusively my call. If folks really want to hang on to their racial identities, then it's got to be good for everyone, whites too.

As for your dollar, several years ago I was asked by a coworker to give to the United Negro Collage Fund. I said that I would donate $5 but only if I could give a 30 second lecture on why I am hesitant to support racially segregating organizations. She calmly let me have the 30 seconds, and I gave her the $5. Win-win... well, sorta.
I don't see anything to "win" in a debate here. Black organizations were founded out of need because of segregation. What you're saying here is that black folks should now give up those organizations because FINALLY, we're accepted by white folks into their organizations. Well, i know this sounds silly, but why not have the white folks fold up their organizations and join ours? See...we have some pride too, just like white folks do.

I'm not saying that you're wrong about the double standard....i mean, sure, it exists. But who made that standard? Blacks? The people who have little power and few numbers? No way. That's not even possible. If all- white organizations are socially unacceptable, that's because white folks have made it so. And in that case, that's not my business. That's something that white folks have to work out amongst themselves.

As for the money, well, thanks. LOL...i'm sure it was appreciated. But i have a question. When blacks no longer owned BET, why did the new white owned company NOT change the name? We both know they didn't because they want to market the company to blacks, and it's obviously quite profitable. I've noticed that many whites assume that BET is a black owned channel for black viewers when it's not anymore. So then, is it ok for whites to peddle "black for blacks" when it's profitable, but not ok for blacks to do it?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,603,761 times
I don't think whites are "oppressed" but I get real f#*%ing tired of all the BS claims of racism everytime a non white has something negative or bad happen to them. I have no tolerance for the race card players and Jesse J and Al S rent-a-mob style racism charges. Sadly I don't think this country will ever be the way it should be in regards to race relations because the Dems are constantly promoting victimhood in the black and hispanic communities to try to get some votes.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 PM

38,614 posts, read 26,270,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Like Chris Rock said, there isn't a poor white in America who would trade places with a wealthy black man. And i'm totally inclined to agree with that statement.

White males aren't taking any hits that anyone else isn't taking....all poor people are under the gun these days.

Which of the poor are legally discriminated against?

Poor and working class white males are dumped on with the blessing of the federal and state governments.

Workplace conflicts almost always end up being settled in favor of the black or female because employers know white males have no legal standing to sue.

The only second class citizens in America are white males, and being poor just means a poor white male has few other opportunities.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,206,096 times
"White guilt" is a phrase concocted by the guilty.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 PM

38,614 posts, read 26,270,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Myth: Affirmative action is an African American entitlement program.

FACT: Affirmative action benefits a broad range of people and communities that continue to face discrimination in this country, including Latino, Native, Arab, Asian and African Americans. The primary beneficiaries, however, have been white women.

Focus on Affirmative Action (http://www.aapf.org/focus/episodes/oct30.php - broken link)

Yes, I think affirmative action is a palatable, if mild, remedy to the ongoing discrimination that women and people of color face in Michigan and around the country. But this take isn't about cheering the court's decision to hear the challenge to race preferences or even affirmative action itself, for that matter. Rather, it's about the implications of the persistent, narrow belief that affirmative action is just a set of "racial preferences" -- when the truth is that the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action have been white women.

Read more: Still Getting It Wrong On Affirmative Action - The Detroit Blog - TIME.com

This is because the 53% of the population who are female decide every election and have politicians lining up to pander to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies