U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,148,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who is in the minority?

Isn't it the 37% of Americans who are white males?

What "unfair, unearned privileges" are you referring to?

How is the majority oppressed by 37% of the population?

How do 1/3 of voters determine the outcome of elections?

How very convenient it must be for those in the majority to have a minority group to blame for their personal short-comings.
White males are the majority in this sense, so in that case I agree with the bolded. "Minorities" doesn't mean percentages hereóread a book.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,608,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If there's no such thing as "sounding black" or "acting white" then what exactly is a name that sounds white and sounds "ethnic"? (whatever that means).
We all know what a black name is.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 PM

29,010 posts, read 19,072,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
37% of the population yet over 80% in Congress. Hmmm....

Also disproportionately represented in CEOs levels. Not to mention a U of Chicago study found that White sounding names were more likely to receive a call back regarding an interview than ethnic sounding names.

White males are far being oppressed.

"37% of the population yet over 80% in Congress."

Are you trying to say because Congress is over 80% white and male, the 37% of the population which is also white and male decided to put these particular white males in office over the objections of the 63% who are not white males?

Do these same white males get returned over and over to Congress because they represent the interests of the minority over the objections of the majority?

"Not to mention a U of Chicago study found that White sounding names were more likely to receive a call back regarding an interview than ethnic sounding names."

If true (source?), are you able to prove those with "ethnic sounding" names were more qualified than those with other than ethnic sounding names?

The mere accusation of racism isn't proof of racism and in no way justifies continued state-sanctioned discrimination against a minority group by the majority.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I don't know.

Tell me what a black name is.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 PM

9,958 posts, read 7,335,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Really, we all do? I have what many of you might consider a black last name... why don't you explain to me how you choose what is a black name and what's a white name.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
White males are the majority in this sense, so in that case I agree with the bolded. "Minorities" doesn't mean percentages hereóread a book.

So what does it mean then?

Does it mean you can't come up with a defense for your anti-white male bigotry?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 PM

Minority group encyclopedia topics | Reference.com

"Minority Group
A minority or subordinate group is a sociological group that does not constitute a politicallydominant voting majority of the total population of a given society. A sociological minority is notnecessarily a numerical minority — it may include any group that is subnormal with respect to a dominant group in terms of social status, education, employment, wealth and political power. To avoid confusion, some writers prefer the terms "subordinate group" and "dominant group" rather than "minority" and "majority", respectively.

Every large society contains ethnic minorities. They may be migrant, indigenous or landless nomadic communities. In some places, subordinate ethnic groups may constitute a numericalmajority, such as Blacks in South Africa under apartheid."

Now that we know that minority
≠ percent of the population, let's continue the discussion.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So what does it mean then?

Does it mean you can't come up with a defense for your anti-white male bigotry?
"Anti-white male bigotry"? And you go into defense mode, right on cue. I'm for equality and nothing else. In fact, if you knew me in real life, you would probably think I'm anti-black from some of the things I say, but I don't have to explain that to you.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
A. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REVERSE DISCRIMINATION.
Discrimination is discrimination. This is not a difficult concept.
B. How does someone know that the other person was not as qualified?
Do they see resumes? Were they present at the interview? Did they speak with the previous supervisors?
I would say that the response would be negative.
C. The Free Market and Right to Work states determine who gets hired.
D. No one has to hire you if they don't want to, unless you think whites are entitled to every job that they apply for.
E. You are not forced to hire anyone unless there is a specified period of time for someone to hire minorities because the company lost a law suit for discrimination. They are very rare.

F. I got 48,000,000 hits for "aliens" - does that make them real?
I got 65,000,000 hits for "god" - there's no proof in them or for any god.

Yes, losing a lawsuit is very rare because almost all of them are settled out of court. We all know going to court cost far more than settling a meritless lawsuit. Guilt or innocence has little to do with being able to afford justice. Large shake-down groups like NOW, ACORN, SPLC and NAACP have lawyers and money at the ready, so when they move forward with legal action which is generally accompanied by organized harassment and lots of very public accusations, those accused have little option but to cough up the cash and throw white males under the bus. To be sure defensive anti-white male hiring is more and more the norm as companies grow and their wallets get deeper.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:41 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,533,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If there's no such thing as "sounding black" or "acting white" then what exactly is a name that sounds white and sounds "ethnic"? (whatever that means).
I didn't say Black, I said ethnic. So a name like Mike Smith has a better chance than Luis Calderone, Chartruse Smith, or Thuy Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies