Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
One thing I love about the internet is that you can usually sniff b.s. out!!!

Fleming said he was moved to raise the issue when he saw the dramatic rise in minority first-year students, or plebes, this summer

So his problem was the number of nonwhite faces he was seeing, I guess that could be a great motivator.

The academy admitted fewer than 10 percent of the African Americans and Hispanics who applied for admission to the Class of 2013 and a similar share of whites.

Well what do you know, the academy denied the same percentage of blacks as well as everyone else.

Now comes the b.s. part

The number of freshmen coming from the academy's one-year preparatory program, designed for remedial studies, was 244 this year, the highest figure in at least 10 years. The data are not classified by race

http://www.usna.edu/NAPS/images/random/ColorGuard1.gif (broken link)
http://www.usna.edu/NAPS/index.htm

The prep school has been the entrance to the Navy commissioning academy for almost a hundred years, for seventy five of those years it admitted only white males!!
It has only become an issue now that minorities are now being given this same opportunity.

Was the academy being dumbed down when only white males came through the prep school?

"This class we inducted yesterday may be the most talented overall that we have ever brought into the Naval Academy," said William Miller, academic dean and provost of the academy. "We have increased the standards, rather than dumbing them down."

So who should I believe, the Dean of academic affairs or a Fleming, who hasn't been directly involved with the admissions process in nearly a decade.

So we have both black and white as well as other minorities getting into the academy through the prep school and outreach programs, but it's only an issue because of the minority percentage attending.

Thanks for the proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,343,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
One thing I love about the internet is that you can usually sniff b.s. out!!!

Fleming said he was moved to raise the issue when he saw the dramatic rise in minority first-year students, or plebes, this summer

So his problem was the number of nonwhite faces he was seeing, I guess that could be a great motivator.

The academy admitted fewer than 10 percent of the African Americans and Hispanics who applied for admission to the Class of 2013 and a similar share of whites.

Well what do you know, the academy denied the same percentage of blacks as well as everyone else.

Now comes the b.s. part

The number of freshmen coming from the academy's one-year preparatory program, designed for remedial studies, was 244 this year, the highest figure in at least 10 years. The data are not classified by race

Naval Academy | Naval Academy Preparatory School| Home

The prep school has been the entrance to the Navy commissioning academy for almost a hundred years, for seventy five of those years it admitted only white males!!
It has only become an issue now that minorities are now being given this same opportunity.

Was the academy being dumbed down when only white males came through the prep school?

"This class we inducted yesterday may be the most talented overall that we have ever brought into the Naval Academy," said William Miller, academic dean and provost of the academy. "We have increased the standards, rather than dumbing them down."

So who should I believe, the Dean of academic affairs or a Fleming, who hasn't been directly involved with the admissions process in nearly a decade.

So we have both black and white as well as other minorities getting into the academy through the prep school and outreach programs, but it's only an issue because of the minority percentage attending.

Thanks for the proof.

No, it's only an issue when race plays a role in the admissions process. Why can't they just take in applications without any regard to race, admit the most qualified candidates, and let the chips fall where they will?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:30 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times
I am a very white, un-oppressed female

Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
No, it's only an issue when race plays a role in the admissions process. Why can't they just take in applications without any regard to race, admit the most qualified candidates, and let the chips fall where they will?
Sorry but where was this sentiment for the last one hundred years??!!..when race was the ONLY qualifier or dis-qualifier if you were black.

When urban and suburban school systems are not separate and unequal then we can talk about being color blind.

Again, looking at the numbers where is this roof of white men being discriminated against??..it's nothing more than minorities getting the same remedial opportunities that white males have had for a hundred years.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Sorry but where was this sentiment for the last one hundred years??!!..when race was the ONLY qualifier or dis-qualifier if you were black.

When urban and suburban school systems are not separate and unequal then we can talk about being color blind.

Again, looking at the numbers where is this roof of white men being discriminated against??..it's nothing more than minorities getting the same remedial opportunities that white males have had for a hundred years.
Sorry- but this is 2011 where race is now only a disqualifier if you are a white male. If you want to talk about 1911 we certainly can but it's not very relevant to this discussion.

We can talk about being color blind right now but people like you won't allow that. Keep throwing gas on the flames.

If anyone is unhappy with the quality of the school in their community why don't they move? The cost of living in Boston is much higher than the suburb that is considered Metro West which is where I live. That includes all areas of the city. The RE values (and also the rents) are much higher anywhere within the city. Also, many students are bussed into suburban schools here in Eastern Mass. Guess what? They're all black. Every single one. I saw it first hand when I was in school. I know a few teachers and the trend has remained the same. Apparently poor disadvantaged white people who live in the city don't count. They're left to fend for themselves.
Of course people like you will never address the fact that the leading cause of poor student performance in inner city schools is bad parenting and lack of engagement by the students. Perhaps you've heard of the saying: "The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."

Again- you fail to acknowledge the minorities who attend suburban schools and still get the benefit of AA. It's just one big cop out after another with people like you. What other excuses do you have to justify why minorities can't get by on their own merits and need to have AA? I'm sure the list is long.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry- but this is 2011 where race is now only a disqualifier if you are a white male. If you want to talk about 1911 we certainly can but it's not very relevant to this discussion.

We can talk about being color blind right now but people like you won't allow that. Keep throwing gas on the flames.

If anyone is unhappy with the quality of the school in their community why don't they move? The cost of living in Boston is much higher than the suburb that is considered Metro West which is where I live. That includes all areas of the city. The RE values (and also the rents) are much higher anywhere within the city. Also, many students are bussed into suburban schools here in Eastern Mass. Guess what? They're all black. Every single one. I saw it first hand when I was in school. I know a few teachers and the trend has remained the same. Apparently poor disadvantaged white people who live in the city don't count. They're left to fend for themselves.
Of course people like you will never address the fact that the leading cause of poor student performance in inner city schools is bad parenting and lack of engagement by the students. Perhaps you've heard of the saying: "The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."

Again- you fail to acknowledge the minorities who attend suburban schools and still get the benefit of AA. It's just one big cop out after another with people like you. What other excuses do you have to justify why minorities can't get by on their own merits and need to have AA? I'm sure the list is long.
While we are throwing out the "people like you" comments, why don't we throw out the "people like you" are on the board bellyaching and have yet to prove the assertion that white men are oppressed!!

You posted that piece of Naval Academy drivel, as roof that white men were being oppressed, I simply showed that to be another lie.

You then complain about a hundred years ago but ignore the fact that a MAJORITY of only white men gain entrance to the Naval academy through the Naval prep school from that time up until this day!!

Then you cry about a minuscule amount of black children being bused to suburban schools as if that addresses the total inequalities that exist in the two separate school systems and thereby contribute to white men being further oppressed .

That post of your is proof that some white men are consummate cry babies if America doesn't bend over and kiss their flat behinds!!

The days of your unearned privilege are starting to fade and you will have to pull your own weight.

I'm not sorry that scares you.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
While we are throwing out the "people like you" comments, why don't we throw out the "people like you" are on the board bellyaching and have yet to prove the assertion that white men are oppressed!!

You posted that piece of Naval Academy drivel, as roof that white men were being oppressed, I simply showed that to be another lie.

You then complain about a hundred years ago but ignore the fact that a MAJORITY of only white men gain entrance to the Naval academy through the Naval prep school from that time up until this day!!

Then you cry about a minuscule amount of black children being bused to suburban schools as if that addresses the total inequalities that exist in the two separate school systems and thereby contribute to white men being further oppressed .

That post of your is proof that some white men are consummate cry babies if America doesn't bend over and kiss their flat behinds!!

The days of your unearned privilege are starting to fade and you will have to pull your own weight.

I'm not sorry that scares you.
LMMFAO- When did I complain about a hundred years ago? Please quote that. I stop debating when people start making things up as they go. AA exists. It discriminates against white people. End of story.

As I said before whites are projected to be a minority one day and honestly I can't wait. What will your excuses be then?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
This is laughable. Why do we know that most if not all people that make these types of statements have NEVER experienced any kind of real discrimination in their lives and never will. I bet you take your victim card out of your wallet more often than your driver's license.....
Laughable? Victim? Really? You're the guy who said that whites faced discrimination if they wanted to join the FDNY....an entity that's over 90% white?

You're the one playing victim here. Blame your failures on yourself. If you couldn't get into the Fire Dept where you live because of your own inadequacies, then you should look in the mirror. I've NEVER made one complaint on CD about discrimination. Find it if i did.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Laughable? Victim? Really? You're the guy who said that whites faced discrimination if they wanted to join the FDNY....an entity that's over 90% white?

You're the one playing victim here. Blame your failures on yourself. If you couldn't get into the Fire Dept where you live because of your own inadequacies, then you should look in the mirror. I've NEVER made one complaint on CD about discrimination. Find it if i did.
Another good laugh here. I said there's discrimination in the FDNY because of recent court order to hire more minorities over white candidates. I have never applied to a FD. I have a way beter job and firefighters make peanuts.

You've never made one complaint on here about discrimination? Really? Let's start with this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...really?? Trust me, you have no idea. You aren't prepared mentally to walk in these shoes for even an hour, let alone a lifetime. This is something that you'd have to be born into...you're nuts if you think otherwise.
Can you elaborate on what you meant about not being prepared to walk in your shoes? Maybe you meant you have fallen arches or plantar fasciitis?

Hey pal: you make it WAY too friggin' easy

So...what else have you got? That's rhetorical BTW....

Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 PM

81 posts, read 197,257 times
Based upon the amount of money that white males pay into the federal tax system, vs services received back versus other groups it is quite obvious that the white male is discriminated against in this country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies