Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:19 PM

643 posts, read 1,122,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Maybe because the criminals drive tanks themselves?
You don't remember the incident in San Diego?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPrOIAVUZo

Sometimes I think this entire board is teenagers. I would say there is at least some precedent. Also, along the border some of the cartels have armored vehicles with mounted assault rifles and grenades.

This is what a gang would do to a truck, this is from Tijauna

They confiscated one SUV not too long ago that had a mounted Gatling Gun.

I've seen the inciddent in San Diego with the tank but the armoured vechicle wouldn't stop a tank would it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:25 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Even our police uses armored vehichles, though they don't directly own them. But they are leased from the Defence Forces on an as-needed basis.

Jesco White, you are disgusting. The only reason to have them is to provide protetction for the police officers during special operations. In cases where they face a risk of being shot at with automatic weapons and so on. Now these situations will not just magically "go away" if the police departments stop using these type of vehicles. What's next, deny police officers the right of using bulletproof vests? Like i said, disgusting.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Well here's a picture i found, of the PASI's that are loaned from the military by the local police every once in a while. Last time they used them was a month ago when raiding the headquarters of a motorcycle gang.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Well, just like an average citizens justification of "better to have and not need", law-enforcement is probably under the same guise as well.

As far as the San Diego incident went, those M60A3's are some versatile pieces of machinery.
Escape hatch underneath, ability to be utilized as substitute artillery, better fuel economy withe Diesel as opposed to the Gas-Turbine on the M1A2.

I wouldn't mind owning an M4 Sherman for s#^ts and giggles though.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
well I would think when raiding heavily armed criminals just like the miltiray in Afganustan or iraq. I think we saw i the LA shootoutt hat our police are pretty poorly armed overall. Witht ehdrug cartels spreadig from mexico hopefully we will see them better armed to include armour vehicles. Afterall some security agenacy have had them for deacdes .

Old 03-06-2011, 08:38 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What does god need with a starship?

Captain Kirk, is that you?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM

46,959 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Because unarmored tanks didn't work out at all.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Look at Brazil's BOPE in the Favela.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That question was asked 30 years ago when they started to appear.
Our local Sheriff's Department has 2, justification was in the event of an incident at the nuclear power plant. Also, it's hard to turn down grant money for toys.

I wanted to add that I'd be willing to bet that the London Police force (whatever it's called) has a few, along with the departments in the other major cities.
As the economy collapses, things will get bad--and the government will rightfully get the blame. We have the biggest Empire Military in the world; soon we'll have the largest internal army to control anyone causing "trouble" for the government here.

Tanks, Obama's massive bullet buy-up (while simultaneously calling poverty and sequester), and more to come...I wonder where America went, so fast.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I wanted to add that I'd be willing to bet that the London Police force (whatever it's called) has a few, along with the departments in the other major cities.
You are correct! The Government here in England has quietly been buying such vehicles.... and water cannon. After the riots a while back, they're getting ready for the next time. They were made to look foolish by the rioters. Won't happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies