U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,815,878 times

Advertisements

70Ford, interesting take. at first i was going to say 'of course!' but cometo think of it, hollywood has changed a lot toward the pc side. i wonder if kids under 20 even know what blazing saddles is without googling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,400,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes. If they could do Borat and Bruno then they can do Blazing Saddles.

I walked out in the middle of Borat. Didn't watch Bruno.

Blazing Saddles is wicked funny, tho.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,815,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I walked out in the middle of Borat. Didn't watch Bruno.

Blazing Saddles is wicked funny, tho.
never saw borat. was it offensive or just plain 'not funny'?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM

50,105 posts, read 26,538,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I thought it was hilarious myself.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,400,125 times
Quote:

I got as far as the nude fight scene between Borat and the fat guy. I threw up in my mouth and left.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM

11,945 posts, read 17,451,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is the same stuff that i've been saying all along.

Most of these posters who talk the most about "blacks this" and "blacks that" know a grand total of 2 black people...if that. They don't know what the hell they're talking about.

If the NAACP, an organization that is much weaker than it was in 1974 when the original film was made, didn't care then, why in the hell would they care now?

No matter how many times i tell these clowns that every black person i know that's actually seen the film (and naturally, i know more than they do) loves that movie and thinks it's hilarious, they still insist that we all hate it and would lobby a ton of lawsuits against it. It just goes to your point...THEY DON'T KNOW BLACK PEOPLE AT ALL!
I agree to some extent. However, today, as opposed to then, is characterized by the crazy 24/7 media cycle as well as the Internet. Consequently, any minority (I do not mean race) view can quickly gain traction, grow, and seem much bigger than it really is.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 PM

50,105 posts, read 26,538,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I agree to some extent. However, today, as opposed to then, is characterized by the crazy 24/7 media cycle as well as the Internet. Consequently, any minority (I do not mean race) view can quickly gain traction, grow, and seem much bigger than it really is.
Fair enough. The 24 hour newscycle can make a mountain out of a molehill, and i'll admit to overlooking that little tidbit.

But still, i just get so sick of these C-D ranters and their talk about black folks as if they have an inside view when they clearly don't. As if we weren't born with a funny bone and sense of humor like everyone else.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 PM

11,945 posts, read 17,451,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fair enough. The 24 hour newscycle can make a mountain out of a molehill, and i'll admit to overlooking that little tidbit.

But still, i just get so sick of these C-D ranters and their talk about black folks as if they have an inside view when they clearly don't. As if we weren't born with a funny bone and sense of humor like everyone else.
I do not doubt plenty of black folks love the film. Its pretty clear that it pokes fun at racists.

Were it made today, none the less, there would be small group of both black and white folks who would miss the humor or ignore it in order to make an issue.

You and I would not be amongst them.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,805,450 times
I still think it's hilarious.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:12 AM

6,355 posts, read 5,439,042 times
Quote:
70Ford, interesting take. at first i was going to say 'of course!' but cometo think of it, hollywood has changed a lot toward the pc side. i wonder if kids under 20 even know what blazing saddles is without googling

My 19-year-old daughter gave me "Blazing Saddles" for Christmas. She's a huge Mel Brooks fan and has watched Blazing Saddles so many times herself she can recite all Taggert's lines: "What in the Wide Wide World of Sports..." "jumping' around like a bunch of Kansas City (bleeps)"..."You use your tongue prettier than a $2.00 *****"...

Try asking her if she wants to rent "Broke Back Mountain" or watch "Blazing Saddles" for the 50th time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies