U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:27 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,267,146 times

Advertisements

What if the government mandated a 37-hour workweek for non-exempt full time employees, accompanied by no loss of wages? Companies would be forced to either pay all employees 3 hours overtime per week, or hire a new employee for every 13 existing employees.

This would create a bunch of jobs and really get our economy moving. Plus, even though companies would take a hit by needing to spend more on payroll, they would also make more money because more people would have jobs and be spending more money.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM

16,755 posts, read 19,009,976 times
You can't hire 14 people for the job of 13 people... cause even 13 people is probably too much for that job... what you are in effect doing is "hiring" just to keep people working... that may seem like a good intention but you are paving a road straight to Hell... you remember the job bank at GM where people were paid full salaries for sitting around doing nothing? Sound like a good idea to you? You do remember what happened to GM, don't you? Still sound like a good idea to you? Now imagine every company in this nation undergoing the same exact thing at the same time.... I hope you have guns and lots of bullets...

Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,267,146 times
I know it would be "artificially" creating jobs, but when you think about it the 40 hour work week is artificial as well. My company requires me to work 45 hours a week -- I would not be getting time and a half for those extra five hours if the government didn't mandate it. If it were a 37 hour workweek even more people would get time and a half, so even if companies didn't hire more, people would have more spending money. And until Americans have more disposable income, the economy will not get back on track.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 PM

26,881 posts, read 15,114,205 times
Businesses wouldn't take a hit, but consumers would as the prices of goods and services rose to compensate for the increased payroll.
I suppose you'll want price controls next, which will then lead to shortages.
Sorry my vision of utopia does not include me standing in line for bread or gas and paying artificially high prices.

The sooner government stops helping the economy recover, the sooner it will.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:50 PM

You have to remember that those working 37 hours a week are earning less money... you are basically taking "their" pay to hire someone else and use their pay to pay the other employee... you are basically reducing disposable income for 13 people to create income for one person... I bet you that hurts more than it helps the economy... not to mention, the 13 people aren't happy about it... you can ask them if you want...

Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,151,621 times
Underneath all these harebrained schemes lurks the idea that jobs are some weird form of charity, to be extorted from business. They are not.

Those who make themselves useful to the rest of society prosper. Those who cannot, or will not, do not.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,880,206 times
I am not convinced that the OP's idea would work. One that I have toyed with in MY mind is where the work week would be 4 days per week @ 10 hrs per day, so that we all still work 40 hours (hopefully staggered, so that different people are off on Monday, Tuesday, etc, but the company might need to hire another person or two to make up for the days that wind up to be too lightly covered.

This could theoretically reduce congestion on our roadways during rush hours (and some of the pollution caused by autos), and likewise for Mass Transit (who, hopefully, would come up with 4-day-per-week passes to save people some money there.

My idea probably wouldn't work, either, but I put it out here for discussion.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Work 4 days a week at 10 hours a day.... sounds nice and it may work for some jobs... the jobs is in emphasis... I don't know about you but 8 hours is more than enough to complete some jobs, 10 hours is just pure waste... for instance, the government offices where people stand at the windows to process whatever you need... its an eight hour job that has X number of people come in... 10 hours means more payment for that day that nets 1 extra customer? No thanks... its all about logistics and 8 hours is pretty much the schedule this country runs on... 10 hours means, 2 hours is wasted... for what? For the worker, it would be awesome to have 3 day weekends every weekend, but that isn't how this country was made... the lost of a day will result in loss income and extra hours would be wasted time.... I think the Post Office wanted to stop Saturday mail and extend hours for other mail delivery days... bottom line? More job loss, not job gain...

Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 PM

26,881 posts, read 15,114,205 times
Ironic, but it's the same crowd I see bitching about a government that tells them how to live their lives, turning around and suggesting the same overly intrusive government jump into private business uninvited.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:32 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,410,356 times
The best way the government can increase employment is to offer better tax incentives to companies who hire new employees.

Everything else is overstepping the bounds that they are limited to by the constitution. They could also provide a better environment for small businesses by lowering the overall corporate tax rate, while fixing the tax loopholes and tax payer subsidies given to businesses that are having record profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies