U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 PM

20,445 posts, read 26,577,883 times

Advertisements

Here are some links about lions for you:

African Lion Working Group: About Lions

Lions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
I'm not a lion expert. I'm too busy working, watching kids, cooking, etc, etc.

However let's not let my obvious lack of lion knowledge throw you off my point. The point is, after the roles blended together, we lost it.

What is "it"? The "American Dream". What used to be hope for the future now resides in history books, along with traditional roles.

Women have not "advanced". They've changed. Men have not "evolved". We got stuck with the cooking while mommy had to go prove she could do the same job at 80% of the salary. Nice going mom.

So now we both have to work outside, as well as inside the home, just to make the SAME living we made 60 years ago.

In accounting they call that a "net loss".
Are you male or female?

*edited* re-read your post and see that you are a male. You sound somewhat bitter.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 PM

334 posts, read 145,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Are you male or female?
That kinda makes my point huh? 60 years ago, when work ended 34 minutes ago, you wouldn't have had to ask that question.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
That kinda makes my point huh? 60 years ago, when work ended 34 minutes ago, you wouldn't have had to ask that question.
Not necessarily. There were plenty of working (outside the home) women in the early fifties. Leave it to Beaver wasn't a documentary, it was a sitcom.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. There were plenty of working (outside the home) women in the early fifties. Leave it to Beaver wasn't a documentary, it was a sitcom.
"Plenty" would not have been the word to use before WWII. That's what started it.

...and I'm talking about women, not girls in their 20's. Obviously every woman has to work if they're single. I'm not saying women shouldn't have the RIGHT to work. I'm saying that they should have the RIGHT to raise a family.

Given our current economic structure, brought on by too many PEOPLE in the workplace, women no longer have the right to raise a family. It's an option left only to the privileged.

Think about it. What would happen if every woman in the United States just said "Y'know what? I'm done." and quit their jobs? Men would be paid more, production would decrease, as it should, and people could get back to LIVING.

Living? Well that's something most folks only do for a few hours each week these days.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
"Plenty" would not have been the word to use before WWII. That's what started it.

...and I'm talking about women, not girls in their 20's. Obviously every woman has to work if they're single. I'm not saying women shouldn't have the RIGHT to work. I'm saying that they should have the RIGHT to raise a family.

Given our current economic structure, brought on by too many PEOPLE in the workplace, women no longer have the right to raise a family. It's an option left only to the privileged.

Think about it. What would happen if every woman in the United States just said "Y'know what? I'm done." and quit their jobs? Men would be paid more, production would decrease, as it should, and people could get back to LIVING.

Living? Well that's something most folks only do for a few hours each week these days.
I know that it's easy to look back at a time that we idealize in our minds and wish that things were as simple as they seemed back then. But the reality of those times is very different, really. During the "settling" of the American West, women worked alongside men doing much of the same things. During the Great Depression, it was commonplace for men to leave their wives and children to fend for themselves while they went on the road trying to find work.

In an ideal world, people of either gender "should" have the opportunity to stay home and raise a family.

But don't kid yourself that before the 2nd WW, life was an idyllic paradise due to clearly defined gender roles.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I know that it's easy to look back at a time that we idealize in our minds and wish that things were as simple as they seemed back then. But the reality of those times is very different, really. During the "settling" of the American West, women worked alongside men doing much of the same things. During the Great Depression, it was commonplace for men to leave their wives and children to fend for themselves while they went on the road trying to find work.

In an ideal world, people of either gender "should" have the opportunity to stay home and raise a family.

But don't kid yourself that before the 2nd WW, life was an idyllic paradise due to clearly defined gender roles.
Somewhere in there we also lost the ability to generalize.

Generally, women did not work prior to WWII. Hell, they didn't work very much prior to Vietnam either.

Whereas now? Women must work in order for most families to survive.

So please don't kid yourself. That is nothing more than a fairytale of feminism. Women 50 years ago didn't work even half as much as they do now, outside the home.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,023,027 times
Quote:
Somewhere in there we also lost the ability to generalize.

Generally, women did not work prior to WWII. Hell, they didn't work very much prior to Vietnam either.

Whereas now? Women must work in order for most families to survive.

So please don't kid yourself. That is nothing more than a fairytale of feminism. Women 50 years ago didn't work even half as much as they do now, outside the home.
"""Generally, women did not work prior to WWII. Hell, they didn't work very much prior to Vietnam either."""

PUHleeese! Find a book ...a history book, several books, lots of books... about what women DID in history.

You will be shocked! And made smarter!!! Women have worked forever!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM

9,456 posts, read 7,611,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Can we just have a president that can do his/her job right? I'm tired of this stupid "OH EM GEE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT, OH EM GEE FIRST FEMALE PRESIDENT". How about a "OH EM GEE, A PRESIDENT THAT ACTUALLY DOES THE JOB CORRECTLY"

That is the only way Democrats can compete with the GOP. They sure can't compete on the EXPERIENCE scale.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,104,235 times
If she was tough and better than Obama (which would be easy) yes!
We need someone who knows how to be a leader, already. It doesn't matter the gender or race, it matters the person. We need a good person to be a president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies