U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM

2,415 posts, read 2,360,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
England,India,Ireland and many more have had women leaders. Margaret Thatcher reportedly told George Bush Sr. to not go all wobbly on her during the first Gulf war. You have an outdated and incorrect view of woman as it relates to history, but of course you are entitled to vote how you wish!
............she remembers Kennedy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM

19,216 posts, read 12,531,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe that if Hillary had won the nomination in 2008, she would have been President.

I think we are ready for a female President, I know her sex wouldn't sway my vote one way or another, just as long as she was the best person for the job.

There will always be a small percentage of the population that would never vote for a woman, but I think that they would be countered by some folks that would vote for any woman, simply because of her sex.
She doesn't HAVE any sex.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM

6,246 posts, read 9,554,774 times
Ever heard of Queen Elizabeth? That's why I'm not voting for a woman in office. Women go insane when they get just a little bit of power. Not a good idea.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM

9,484 posts, read 7,654,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
She doesn't HAVE any sex.
....with men.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM

5,454 posts, read 3,991,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Ever heard of Queen Elizabeth? That's why I'm not voting for a woman in office. Women go insane when they get just a little bit of power. Not a good idea.
Am I missing something here? What kind of Power does Queen Elizabeth have and please elaborate on her sanity?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:25 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,769,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
I do not know but Can it happen. Maybe if she had Military experience, business and wasn't too pretty. old or too ambitious, or connected or beholhing.............nah not yet.
She must have military experience? What does a president have military advisors for?

Business, she is not runnig a for profit agency. A pressing has economic advisors.

What do looks and age have anything to do with being a president?

To me an individuall running for president would be better if he or she had experience as an elected leaders so we all can see his or her political record and get an idea how he or she can handle the unique pressures and demands of political life, take care.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,076,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I would say the country IS pretty much ready. I would not vote for a woman because women are too emotional to handle the extreme pressure. Women would make EXCELLENT advisors, though.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Some women would and can, but women are not meant to be leaders overall. They are meant to be advisors.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
OK, I'll add to the Misogynist Club hate/fear women thread of the week.

Again, the above poster must have NO knowledge of history, day to day life, ...must not know any emotional men:rolley es:

and doesn't know that women are "MEANT" to be anything they WANT to be........or he hates/fears women.....

Here is a person who would "play the sex card"...not vote for a person because of their sex NOT their abilities....too bad there's not a test for voter IQ...

Old 05-23-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
OOOHHHH ! Woman with POWER...how scary is that!!!???

But you may be right ....afterall MEN DON'T EVER GO INSANE WITH POWER, do they???...LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOL

Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
I have been thinking on this question for a few days. I found it a very interesting one.
At this time I have to say no. However I will say that we were ready in 08 but we have back slid on the idea.
The three biggest women in politics right now are Hillary, Palin, and Pelosi. Hillary and who has since taken the position of Secretary of State has had very few comments. Unlike Rice who continually made not only the news but also appeared more often on programs such as Face the Nation. Hilary made more talking points as a Senator then she has as Sec of State. She has not shown her capabilities because she dose not address the media.
President Obama made a politically wise decision in hiring her because in doing so he took her out of the 2012 election pool. Many of the things she used to campaign against him she has essentially dismissed by joining his administration. Joining his staff completely eliminated her as opposition. It seams she has taken the order to sit down and be quiet now
Then there is Sara Palin who while I believe is an intelligent person she makes several speaking errors such as names and locations. It is disheartening to people when a potential leader miss speaks and seams confused. Also Palin comes across as maybe to spontaneous. The unexpected exit as Governor seamed flighty. Again some of her speeches seam also flighty and off the cuff. Like she is at the podium and an idea pops into her mind. The idea spits out but doesn't seam to be well spoken or well thought out.
Plus her endorsement and campaigning for Christine O'Donnell who seemed very scatter brained at times and also easily confused or lost if you will. They seam like two peas in a pod that way.
The last woman is Pelosi who really comes across and controlling and demanding. Plus she seams to be wound very tight even mean at times. People really don't like this woman and she continues to act snobby. When she was Speaker she got this reputation as a bully and seamed to have the idea that she new what was best no matter what anyone thought.
These three woman are at present the only ones that I can see as being in a position as potential Presidential candidates (though not against President Obama in 2012). Their own persona's have put them into the unelectable category. They may have inadvertently taken other women with them and a woman who wants to be elected POTUS will have to overcome these women's persona's. If voters perceive them as I listed or in any other way have a negative perception of them, another woman will find it hard to overcome the reputation they have formed.
I am in no way dismissing a woman's ability to do the job. To think so would be ignorant. However politics is perception and when people become uncomfortable with anything about political leaders it can affect many people down stream. I think that the women that we have in politics right now may very well hinder other capable women to come, and it will probably continue through 2012.
For a woman to be elected POTUS she will have to be incredibly intelligent, well spoken, able to show a strong financial past (no bankruptcy or similar) and a strong moral background, not necessarily Right wing christen but rather an unencumbering unembarrassing husband and or children. She will also have to keep herself in the public eye and put herself on the front page for more then a few years, continuously showing her attributes and stifling her weakness's.
It is almost like the women I listed opened a door but have closed it behind them
I'll pass on pointing out all the sexist claptrap above and just say, Why don't you substitute the word woman above with the word "black".....

....how does it look then....kinda prehistoric? kinda BAD! Yes it does...

Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM

6,246 posts, read 9,554,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyogelvie View Post
Am I missing something here? What kind of Power does Queen Elizabeth have and please elaborate on her sanity?
No not her. The old Queen Elizabeth. The red-headed one who was always cutting people's heads off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies