U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,173,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, you are believing a fallacy...US health care is NOT superior. Perhaps it once was, but those days are gone.

In the World Health Organization's rankings of health care system performance among 191 member nations published in 2000, Canada ranked 30th and the U.S. 37th, while the overall health of Canadians was ranked 35th and Americans 72nd.....Take note that this was in the year 2000, and Canada's health care has improved since then...Has yours?
You are the one believing fallacies if you think Canada's health care has improved since 2000. It certainly hasn't here in Ontario... Since 2000 the cost of health care has rose dramatically, with less procedures being covered by OHIP each year.

I had the unfortunate privilege to see the difference first-hand in 2006. While on vacation in Florida, I severed the tendon in my right index finger. I went to a local community hospital in Palm Bay, and could not believe the quality of treatment I received there. The facilities were, bright, clean and I received treatment within minutes of arriving. I wasn;t requested to show any proof of insurance until I was ready to be released. My insurance company flew me home the next morning for surgery at Oshawa hospital (the largest hospital in Durham Region), and it was terrible compared to the community hospital in Florida. The facilities were dark, dirty and quite miserable to be honest. I also experienced the ridiculous wait time despite assurances from my insurance company that they would be expecting me.

I can honestly say the report you quoted by the WHO is laughable, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,698,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Shhhh, this doesn't play into the universal health care playbook. Let's all repeat together "Canadas system is far superior to the US system and the closest to heaven on Earth".
2nd only to Cuba!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:06 AM

4,260 posts, read 2,871,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Nope. But luckily for those living close to the US-CAN border, they have the option of picking and choosing when free healthcare is okay...

80% of Canadians live within 50 miles of the border.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 AM

5,190 posts, read 3,990,070 times
as I'm sure others have said, those that pay for extra health care have plenty of extra money.

by no means an endorsement for the corrupt system of insurance only (at the expense of the dying masses)

Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 PM

30,043 posts, read 30,774,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
You are the one believing fallacies if you think Canada's health care has improved since 2000. It certainly hasn't here in Ontario... Since 2000 the cost of health care has rose dramatically, with less procedures being covered by OHIP each year.

I had the unfortunate privilege to see the difference first-hand in 2006. While on vacation in Florida, I severed the tendon in my right index finger. I went to a local community hospital in Palm Bay, and could not believe the quality of treatment I received there. The facilities were, bright, clean and I received treatment within minutes of arriving. I wasn;t requested to show any proof of insurance until I was ready to be released. My insurance company flew me home the next morning for surgery at Oshawa hospital (the largest hospital in Durham Region), and it was terrible compared to the community hospital in Florida. The facilities were dark, dirty and quite miserable to be honest. I also experienced the ridiculous wait time despite assurances from my insurance company that they would be expecting me.

I can honestly say the report you quoted by the WHO is laughable, to say the least.
If what you say is true, then I'm glad I no longer live in Ontario...You do know that heath care is run by the provinces and varies from province to province, right? Health care here in BC is great, facilities are clean, well run, timely and efficient...

Old 09-08-2012, 01:58 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,805,548 times
It is a bit like the difference between flying first class and coach. If you are in first class, you get to board first, you get to disembark first and, while you are on the plane, you get free drinks, food and a big comfy seat. If you are in coach, you get a narrow seat which doesn't recline much, you have to pay extra for drinks and food and you might be sitting next to someone who weighs 300 lbs and hogs some of your space.

You both get to your destination at the same time but the person in first class has had a much nicer ride.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:10 PM

6,468 posts, read 11,197,846 times
I love how questions like this are so black and white /sarcasm.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,990,070 times
and of course one must remember, that when there are children and grandmothers dying off due to lack of medical attention, it is much more important that those with the means can have their own private room, 100 channel tv, grovelling nurses and the rest - to attend to their cut fingers and bee stings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or