U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,703,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have neither the time nor the inclination to read through this thread but I will say this. When the income of working Americans has either stagnated or declined while the pay of the rich have skyrocketed, it ain't about greed, its about fair value for the wealth that the vast majority create for the rich.
You do not create anything for the wealthy without them giving you the opportunity.

That's what really peeves you, isn't it?

Tell you what.

Take a risk. Open a business. Make your own rules.

Nobody owes you or anyone else anything.

You may feel that they do, but they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,769,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Most, if not every, time you hear about the greed of people, it is the greed of the rich. Why do we, as a society, seem to not care about or address the greed of non-rich? Obviously mostly everyone wants more than the have, but isn't EXPECTING more than you have worked for also greed? I am talking about people who are able to work and be productive, not people who have issues that prevent from being productive. By the way, I am lower middle class.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Wow! It is so refreshing to hear someone say what you said. I have told people the same thing but it simply goes into deaf ears. I suppose the rich and businesses are more visible and easier targets to blame for all the perils of society.

If we were able to put together all the money people steal from the stores, steal from taxes, asking for social programs aid by falsifying records, other forms of taking money that it does not belong to them, etc. I would venture to guess our economy may be in better shape, take care.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,151,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Most, if not every, time you hear about the greed of people, it is the greed of the rich. Why do we, as a society, seem to not care about or address the greed of non-rich? Obviously mostly everyone wants more than the have, but isn't EXPECTING more than you have worked for also greed? I am talking about people who are able to work and be productive, not people who have issues that prevent from being productive. By the way, I am lower middle class.
I agree. I think people make their own poverty to some extent by being complacent, breeding and being ignorant about their financial situations. I've lived on anything from 17k/year and upwards. In my experience one's socioeconomic status is very mobile within this country - you have so many chances and educational opportunities and social programs available to you to better yourself with. At some point the coddling has got to stop so people can learn not to repeat the same mistakes...

It's really no better for the poor to coddle them.

Welfare should be reserved for those who have serious mental illnesses and handicaps. And by serious, I mean like.... no family, nobody to help them, no capacity to feed themselves... People living in a household where at least one person is making some good income shouldn't get welfare.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,769,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I agree. I think people make their own poverty to some extent by being complacent, breeding and being ignorant about their financial situations. I've lived on anything from 17k/year and upwards. In my experience one's socioeconomic status is very mobile within this country - you have so many chances and educational opportunities and social programs available to you to better yourself with. At some point the coddling has got to stop so people can learn not to repeat the same mistakes...

It's really no better for the poor to coddle them.

Welfare should be reserved for those who have serious mental illnesses and handicaps. And by serious, I mean like.... no family, nobody to help them, no capacity to feed themselves... People living in a household where at least one person is making some good income shouldn't get welfare.
I agree 100%. The day we do that we will be on our way to economic progress, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or