U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,787,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
My issue is that college students don't vote in two different jurisdictions. There may be a case or two where college students have committed voter fraud, but the number of incidents doesn't even rise to the level of a small percentage.
Any voter fraud is wrong,just like any voter intimidation is...

Quote:
Passing laws that make it harder for legal, informed, interested citizens to vote is the wrong thing to do.
How much harder is it?

Quote:
And if you want to spend money on legislation to reduce voter fraud, then spend it on better record-keeping, and integrating computer databases between the states. Not on putting impediments in the way of voters.
I would agree with this,there should be a card issued to the person that identifies that person,therefore making it more difficult for voter fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM

39,092 posts, read 23,248,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That wasnt an answer to the question and its a very hypocritical policy to have to begin with.

Remember the hate bill which Democrats widly supported claiming that it'll stop gays from getting assaulted? Did that make it more difficult to assult someone for being gay?
It was an answer.

We already have laws against voter fraud. The laws are already clear. These proposed laws are intrusive and redundant.

I don't support hate legislation, either. While I am wildly opposed to racism or any form of prejudice, I don't think you can legislate hatred, and it seems anti-freedom to me to try to legislate thoughts.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I think the person should be able to decide which jurisdiction they want to vote in. And that there shouldn't be legal impediments to which jurisdiction they choose.
Why put ANY residency requirements in place at all?

Why shouldn't I be able to choose to vote in the CA elections?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM

11,319 posts, read 16,868,546 times
Quote:
My issue is that college students don't vote in two different jurisdictions. There may be a case or two where college students have committed voter fraud, but the number of incidents doesn't even rise to the level of a small percentage. Passing laws that make it harder for legal, informed, interested citizens to vote is the wrong thing to do. And if you want to spend money on legislation to reduce voter fraud, then spend it on better record-keeping, and integrating computer databases between the states. Not on putting impediments in the way of voters.
For the upteenth time, your issue is with a particular State. Since you did not try to obtain residency in Minnesota and by that did not try to lobby that State to change its laws, I am left with the conclusion that you are just being argumentative for the hell of it.

States make their own voting laws and procedures. They have widespread leeway so long as they confrom to the minimal standards set by the Constitution. Dems da rules.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
. These proposed laws are intrusive and redundant.
In what way?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM

17,049 posts, read 11,430,626 times
Quote:
Can you prove widespread voter fraud? It should be easy. Why aren't more cases of voter fraud prosecuted? It's a federal offense. A serious federal offense. And yet while Republicans complain and whine about voter fraud, they never can prove it. Why is that?

1. Johnson delivering the vote of the dead to Kennedy
2. ACORN
3. Minnesota senate race 2008- more voters for Franken than the population of an entire county. "Lost ballots" in the back of a car.
4. Black panthers standing at polling stations intimidating voters.

That is just the short list off the top of my head. Dems are notorious for voter fraud. A detailed search could pull of hundreds of such cases.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes it matters.

and no its not government being bigger..its about STANDARDS

one residence is you PRIMARY residence..the other is a vacation/SECONDARY residence

you attended college in MN..but you were an AR resident until you OFFICIALLY MOVE..that is why MOST states require you to get a new license within 30-90 days of you moving there....MN REQUIRES you to bring in your other state license and take a written and vision test within 90 days of you MOVING to the state...NC is that way too......so your AR id (I assume licesne) was ILLEGAL if you WANT to identify yourself as a MN resident...but MN doesnt qualify you (as a student) to be a resident....

if you voted in MN...you did it ILLEGALLY
You assume wrongly. It was not a driver's license. I did not acquire a driver's license until I was in my 20's. And my tax returns as well as utility bills were perfectly sufficient to establish my residency, and the photo ID from Arkansas confirmed my identity. There was no requirement by Minnesota that I obtain a photo ID from Minnesota, though my student ID would have satisfied that requirement. I voted in Minnesota, and I did so LEGALLY.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,765,857 times
Quote:
It was an answer.

We already have laws against voter fraud. The laws are already clear. These proposed laws are intrusive and redundant.

I don't support hate legislation, either. While I am wildly opposed to racism or any form of prejudice, I don't think you can legislate hatred, and it seems anti-freedom to me to try to legislate thoughts.
We already have laws limiting theft also, but you can see more laws written if you rob a bank right?

There are laws against assaulting individuals, but yet we have domestic violence laws.

Laws are often redundant..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. Johnson delivering the vote of the dead to Kennedy
2. ACORN
3. Minnesota senate race 2008- more voters for Franken than the population of an entire county. "Lost ballots" in the back of a car.
4. Black panthers standing at polling stations intimidating voters.

That is just the short list off the top of my head. Dems are notorious for voter fraud. A detailed search could pull of hundreds of such cases.
Poor baby. You don't know the difference between voter registration fraud and voter fraud. You don't know that ACORN reported the voter registration fraud itself to authorities (hardly something an organization would do if they were implicated in the fraud). You don't know that the Franken race was decided in the courts which certainly had the means and wherewithal to determine if voter fraud had been committed. You don't know that voter fraud and voter intimidation are two different things.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,765,857 times
Quote:
You assume wrongly. It was not a driver's license. I did not acquire a driver's license until I was in my 20's. And my tax returns as well as utility bills were perfectly sufficient to establish my residency, and the photo ID from Arkansas confirmed my identity. There was no requirement by Minnesota that I obtain a photo ID from Minnesota, though my student ID would have satisfied that requirement. I voted in Minnesota, and I did so LEGALLY.
The fact that your state didnt do it this way, doesnt mean other states dont have the right to establish voter laws for their state..

Do I think the bill is overkill, most likely, but I can clearly see the problem if college kids are voting in a district in which they are not a legal residence..

For example, suppose college kids got a referendum on the ballot stating "free college for anyone who lives in town x", and then they all went out and voted for it, leaving those who live in the region and pay taxes to picking the bill..

That would be wrong, would it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies