U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 03:04 PM

334 posts, read 145,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If this is the case it is terrible that it is happening....

Surely no-one thinks that college students deserve more leeway then those fighting overseas?
I sure as hell don't think it should be the other way around either. You're either an American citizen, or you're not.

In fact, at this point, I'd feel a lot more for a middle-aged corporate employee dad who is trying to support a family of four at a job where he hasn't seen a raise in 6 years than I would some 18 year old kid who ran out of options and joined the army.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM

18,715 posts, read 14,831,582 times
Quote:
How long is the college year?

I would think this is more about stopping people from voting in the areas they are not residents or to stop the possibility of people voting twice.

You do support reducing the chances of voter fraud don't you?

Surely you don't want those people who legally vote having their vote not counted?
Of course those who vote legally should have their vote counted, of course fraud shouldn't happen. However, the sponsor of this very bill in N.H pretty much said point blank its about college students having different views, citing their "youthful idealism" among other things. This is about one thing and one thing only, the fact college students don't vote the way the sponsors want them to.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,646,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And this law would also affect military personnel. But it helps that there aren't major military installations in that state.
military personnel already are affected, do you think students are an exception?
Military Voting Information

[SIZE=4]O[/SIZE]verseas citizens have the right to vote in federal elections in the state in which they resided before going abroad, even if they no longer maintain a residence in that state.

This would treat students JUST LIKE MILITARY PERSONNEL.. They would vote in the state in which THEY RESIDE..
Quote:
The law is a nuisance. Even recognized, as I quoted above, by the republican body of students in the state.
Doesnt matter.. There are lots of nuisance laws in existance.. You want people to be exempt because you dont like it.. Again, why do you want students to be treated better than those in the military?
Quote:
Voting and voter registration should be made easier and more available, not restrictive, along with a proper voting system. I hope you, at least, agree with that?
No one is making it more restrictive.. you simply vote WHERE YOU PAY TAXES.. Whats so difficult about that?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Do you still live there? How long did you live there after you graduated?
Do not still live there, I moved back home after I graduated. Now live in my own apartment. The area itself including off campus is very intertwined with the University (Stony Brook)

Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,024,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No one is making it more restrictive.. you simply vote WHERE YOU PAY TAXES.. Whats so difficult about that?
And students in universities are immune from paying taxes, tuition and dealing with policies created by the state not worth considering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The idea that college students should be able to take over the politics of a town just because they pay to be educated there, 8-9 months a year, and will never go back after 2-4 years, is absolutely ridiculous. Crushing this bill is about one thing only, to increase the turnout for college aged students who happen to vote Democrat (nothing to do with being democratic).
Ultimately, THAT is the point. Having said that, here's the implementation of the idea...
1- Eliminate voting rights of out-of-town but resident students
2- Impose fees and regulations on aforementioned people

Effectively, taxation without representation duly endorsed by the Tea Party.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,751,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If they live their most of the year, they should have the same say in politics as the others who live there..
Why?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,646,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You would not be able to vote absentee in NY if you registered to vote in Colorado.
I very easily could vote by absentee in PA even though I now live in Oh... Registering in one state, (or even a different county) does not remove you from the other registration list. Its up to you to remove yourself and if you dont, you stay registered until they remove you years later for being inactive.. However if you do a mail in ballot, you could vote in multiple states or even counties every election with little chance of being caught.

14,382 posts, read 7,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
military personnel already are affected, do you think students are an exception?
Military Voting Information

[SIZE=4]O[/SIZE]verseas citizens have the right to vote in federal elections in the state in which they resided before going abroad, even if they no longer maintain a residence in that state.

This would treat students JUST LIKE MILITARY PERSONNEL.. They would vote in the state in which THEY RESIDE..

Doesnt matter.. There are lots of nuisance laws in existance.. You want people to be exempt because you dont like it.. Again, why do you want students to be treated better than those in the military?

Don't confuse this issue with facts

Quote:
Why?
Because that is where they are and live most of the year.......

19,556 posts, read 18,751,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They are finding a lot? Link?
One is too many I am sure you agree....

Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies