U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,608,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The goal is specifically to disenfranchise college voters who typically don't vote Republican.
Or more likely you dont like it, so you have to make every attempt to discredit it, even if it means lying..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,156,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont think you should be dictating policies in town A, and then filing taxes in a completely different town. Explain to me why you think its fair to have someone who doesnt file taxes in your town to dictate what you should do...
Where one files taxes is not the end all, be all of state citizenship. One still pays sales taxes, perhaps property taxes, and may be directly affected by the policies that a local government passes. If you're living in the same place for the majority of the year, you should have the right to have a say in who represents you in that place. It's about giving people the option.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 PM

18,697 posts, read 14,812,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I would hope that most college students who attend college more than a reasonable distance away from their polling place do indeed vote absentee.

Worked for me. I attended college in New York, but came from DC. I arranged for an absentee ballot and I voted. What is the problem? Really, I would like to know.

I did not whine about it or spin conspiracy theories about my participation being reduced.

Voting is your right. With rights come responsibilities. Stop debating on the computer, get off your tail, and vote. There is no excuse.
When I was in college, I voted on campus. I went to a fairly large University, we had our own voting precinct right in the middle of campus. Now, if I needed to I would have voted absentee, but of course not everyone will do that, and that is in part of what this is about. If you force college kids to have to vote absentee, rather than giving them the ability to register and vote where they attend college you will reduce college turnout.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,740,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your right to vote isn't lost. Your ability to vote is restricted by law to one jurisdiction per election. Each state has different residency requirements, they are not uniform, however, every state requires you to determine where your primary residence is, and to vote accordingly.
But a person could vote in both....illegally of course but then that is what this is about,reducing the possibility of voter fraud.

Quote:
I know someone who is semi-retired. Semi-retired because he owns a company, and though he has retired to another state, he still spends about six months of the year working at his company, dealing with IRS audits, negotiating insurance, reviewing what's happened in his absence. He is registered to vote in the state he hopes to retire to, but he has homes in two different states. His right to vote in his workplace state has not been taken away. He could decide that the workplace state is his primary residence. He could reasonably choose to vote in either state, but he could not reasonably choose to vote in both states for the same election. That would be illegal. That's voter fraud.
That is the point,removing the possibility of this happening.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This isn't about voter fraud. This is about people not liking the way college kids vote and not wanting college voters to be able to vote on campus because they don't like their views or how they vote.
A college student could if they chose to break the law,vote in both their home state and the state they are going to college in.

That would be voter fraud.

Why are you opposed to reducing the chance of voter fraud?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM

22,243 posts, read 14,737,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We're not a Democracy.. We're a Representative Republic

You have no problem shoving healthcare down the throats of people who dont want it though, do you?
We have a Democratically elected Representative Republic. You, as these Repubs, would like to remove the Democratic potion of that system. Apparenly only those that think "right" should be allowed to vote.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
This isn't about voter fraud. This is about people not liking the way college kids vote and not wanting college voters to be able to vote on campus because they don't like their views or how they vote.
Then again explain me why
Military personnel vote where they are from and pay taxes
and college students who go out of the country also vote where they are from and pay taxes
Everyone else votes where they pay taxes and where they live

Why are college students any different?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,811,646 times
Quote:
When I was in college, I voted on campus. I went to a fairly large University, we had our own voting precinct right in the middle of campus. Now, if I needed to I would have voted absentee, but of course not everyone will do that, and that is in part of what this is about. If you force college kids to have to vote absentee, rather than giving them the ability to register and vote where they attend college you will reduce college turnout.
Why?

What is stopping them, in your scenario, from voting absentee?

I did it. You said you could have done it if need be. What ability do you and I have that others do not?

I eagerly await your answer.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
If you force college kids to have to vote absentee, rather than giving them the ability to register and vote where they attend college you will reduce college turnout.
You mean they are too lazy to absentee vote???

Old 03-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Where one files taxes is not the end all, be all of state citizenship. One still pays sales taxes,
So if I happen to be traveling on election day, and paying sales taxes and other taxes as I cross the country, you think I should be able to stop at every election polling place along my route and vote?
Quote:
perhaps property taxes,
Paying property taxes would qualify you as changing your residency status, even under the bill being discussed. You also would change where you file your income tax because you would own a home..
Quote:
and may be directly affected by the policies that a local government passes.
Agreed.. but dont you think you also would be affected by policies that are passed while you are away at college when you return home? With that argument I say you just vote whereever right? Hey.. I live in a subburb, but the city next to me passes policies that affect us.. I bet I can just go and vote there as well right?
Quote:
If you're living in the same place for the majority of the year, you should have the right to have a say in who represents you in that place. It's about giving people the option.
If you live in the same place the majority of the year, you are supposed to file income taxes there.. But often times, especially college students you do not.. Your parents file and claim you.. so its your parents that dictate your voting district..

The same again is true for those students that leave the country.. They vote where they are from.. Why do you think these students are better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies