U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM

39,020 posts, read 23,146,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So you should cater to the lazy even if it could lead to voter fraud?

One is too many,I am sure you agree?

How difficult is absentee voting?

So you don't care about voter fraud at all???
Perhaps this is the real issue,you care nothing for voter fraud.

The votes weren't lost,the people chose to not vote.

I think you should be concerned with voter fraud,you however do not care.

Perhaps even registering to vote is too much,afterall what about the REALLY lazy people?
I care about voter fraud. I think those who commit voter fraud should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I also think that voter fraud is very rare. And to use it as an excuse to discourage legal voters from exercising their rights is the cavalier attitude. Why don't you just come out and say it, you don't want Democrats to vote at all, and anything that prevents them from voting is okay with you? That's the truth, isn't it? This isn't about the extremely rare voter fraud, this is about discouraging people who don't fall in line with the GOP agenda from voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,737,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This is BS. I know dozens of people who work and live in different states. And the universal rules are that they get to vote where they say their primary residence is. That's the universal rule. You want to change it. You don't care what's right or wrong. You just care about imposing your views on others. Well, sorry, but that's not going to cut it. I don't care if someone is still considered a dependent or not. They are of legal voting age. They get to register to vote in the place THEY consider their primary residence. NOT where you think they should consider home. They're eighteen, and adults, and even if it's the first thing they get to do as adults, neither you nor New Hampshire's elected representatives should be abridging those rights, especially for partisan reasons.
Wherever you claim as your legal residence and meet that state's criteria is where you should vote.

You seem to think a person should be able to pick and choose wherever they feel like voting.
Why should where I physically live have to do with where I vote,I want my vote to count in the Hawaii elections...

Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Who is being "prevented" from voting? Nobody!

Students have every right to vote in the state they were born, and should. Military have the right to vote (but somehow never get counted) in exactly the same way, and do. But don't let facts get in the way of your message.
State where they were born now? What is this, Bible times, where Mary and Joseph had to go to their home city to be counted? This is a mobile country. Many people (me, DH, my niece, my nephew, their spouses to name just a few) are living in a state where they were not born. I haven't lived in my state of birth for close to 40 years now. Neither has DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Do you still live there? How long did you live there after you graduated?
That hardly matters. Many people don't live in a town for four years, yet they vote there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I very easily could vote by absentee in PA even though I now live in Oh... Registering in one state, (or even a different county) does not remove you from the other registration list. Its up to you to remove yourself and if you dont, you stay registered until they remove you years later for being inactive.. However if you do a mail in ballot, you could vote in multiple states or even counties every election with little chance of being caught.
Well, that's the ineptitude of the PA state govt. I'm from PA, too. No surprise there!

Quote:
One is too many I am sure you agree....

Right?
I believe you meant one incident of vote fraud. If we're going to encact laws to prevent one incident, we might as well call off the elections.

Quote:
Are they residents of the state the college is in?
Yes, students are counted in the census in their college town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
How is it difficult to vote absentee?

People have been doing it for decades.
Ho, ho, ho! I can remeber as a young nurse, a patient of ours thought she was going to be discharged by election day, and when she wasn't, it was darn nigh impossible for her to get an absentee ballot. The dr. had to give permission for her to leave and come back so she could vote. There was no other way. Now, that was a long time ago, and perhaps absentee voting procedures in that state (Delaware) have been relaxed, but it can be extremeley difficult sometimes to vote absentee.

Quote:
If they are legal residents of that state sure,otherwise vote in their own state,the one they grew up in,the state they are from.
The one they grew up in, now? See above.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
That is yet another process. What about if it is the same state, but a different part of the state? Should college students be forced to vote absentee in the portion of the state their parents live and they spend a small portion of the year, or should they be allowed to vote in the portion of the state they attend school and spend most of their time?
Wherever they are legal residents of.
This IS actually pretty simple.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 PM

18,686 posts, read 14,808,155 times
Quote:
Wherever they are legal residents of.
This IS actually pretty simple.
Current law allows college students to register and vote where they attend college. Not simply liking the way college students vote or the ideology of college students is not reason to change that law.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I care about voter fraud. I think those who commit voter fraud should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I also think that voter fraud is very rare.
Actually you wrote:
Quote:
What difference did those 5 fraudulent votes make?
Seems you don't care.
Quote:
And to use it as an excuse to discourage legal voters from exercising their rights is the cavalier attitude.
You mean make them vote in their own home state?Where they legally reside?
Quote:
Why don't you just come out and say it, you don't want Democrats to vote at all, and anything that prevents them from voting is okay with you?
I also throw rocks at puppies....

Quote:
That's the truth, isn't it? This isn't about the extremely rare voter fraud, this is about discouraging people who don't fall in line with the GOP agenda from voting.
The ease at which you dismiss voter fraud is telling....this is about influencing elections by having non residents vote in elections.

Sad how partisan you are on this.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Current law allows college students to register and vote where they attend college. Not simply liking the way college students vote or the ideology of college students is not reason to change that law.
But they aren't legal residents of that state correct?

To add,if the people of the state want the change,it is the people's will.

That is how our system works.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
The ease at which you dismiss voter fraud is telling....this is about influencing elections by having non residents vote in elections.

Sad how partisan you are on this.
I don't think this is partisan. There is no system you could set up, short of a "gestapo-like" system, that would avoid all fraud.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 PM

18,686 posts, read 14,808,155 times
Quote:
But they aren't legal residents of that state correct?
Current law does not force someone to be a legal resident of a state in order to vote on campus of the University they attend school. Not liking the way college students vote or their ideology is not reason to change that law, and require residency (which often requires a place off campus, among other things)

Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think this is partisan. There is no system you could set up, short of a "gestapo-like" system, that would avoid all fraud.
I think reducing the chances of fraud is worth it,especially when the counter argument is basically it would be too much of a hassle to vote if the law was changed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies