U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,110,734 times

Advertisements

Whatever! The leftist New Black Panthers standing outside the voting places with clubs in hand are not keeping people from voting? What about the military voters not being counted because they tend to vote repbulican? Talk about desperate.
Let he who has not sinned, cast the first stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,806,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Current law allows college students to decide whether or not they want to vote absentee or if they want to register and vote on campus. It has been that way for a long time.

Why should it change for the simple reason of not liking the way college students vote or their ideology?
I think it should change because it is wrong that someone not from a state gets to vote in that state.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,791,187 times
Quote:
Current law allows college students to decide whether or not they want to vote absentee or if they want to register and vote on campus. It has been that way for a long time.

Why should it change for the simple reason of not liking the way college students vote or their ideology?
People should be allowed to vote if they are not permanent residents.

It's really quite simple. The current law is crazy.

Where I went to college the student population was heavily republican. Probably 65-70%. You couldn't vote if you weren't a permanent resident.

The mayor and most of the city council were Democrats. So was the Faculty and most of the townsfolk. I never once heard anyone make the silly claim that anyone's rights were being violated or Dems were trying to discourage Republican voters. I would have laughed if anyone had said it.

It's common sense. Only permanent residents should vote. Those are the folks that have to live with the consequences. Those are the people that have an interest in the local issues.

P.S. After every election at my college the student newspaper would admonish the student body for such a low turnout. Usually 5-10%. Guess they weren't smart enough to know that most students that voted were not residents and voted at home. Of course, the student newspaper was run by liberals. I guess we shouldn't expect them to be very intelligent.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,806,747 times
Quote:
College students are there for plenty of time for any local decisions and policies to have an impact on them. They should have the same right as others to be able to vote on things and issues that impact them on where they attend school and live most of the year.

Some State Rep. not liking the ideology of college students and not liking the way college students vote is not reason to make voting on campus much more difficult.
Are they legal residents of the state?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Four years is a fairly decent length of time to live in one place, especially when one is young.

I don't know how you would define "permanent resident". Lots of college students end up staying 5 even 6 years to finish a bachelor's degree, and then sometimes stay on for grad school or work in the college town. OTOH, a teacher could come to town for a year, not like it, and leave. Who is more invested in the town?
Each State decides what the requirements are for residency.

You're right. A student that stays for 5 or 6 years has as much invested in the community as someone that lives there and pays taxes and raises their kids there and so on and so on.

This is really much ado about nothing. If a college kid wants to vote there they should establish residency. This usually means your parents can no longer claim you on their taxes. And you should have some kind of state issued identification with your address on it.

And no one is denied the right to vote. No matter how you slice it.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 14,896,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
People should be allowed to vote if they are not permanent residents.

It's really quite simple. The current law is crazy.

Where I went to college the student population was heavily republican. Probably 65-70%. You couldn't vote if you weren't a permanent resident.

The mayor and most of the city council were Democrats. So was the Faculty and most of the townsfolk. I never once heard anyone make the silly claim that anyone's rights were being violated or Dems were trying to discourage Republican voters. I would have laughed if anyone had said it.

It's common sense. Only permanent residents should vote. Those are the folks that have to live with the consequences. Those are the people that have an interest in the local issues.

P.S. After every election at my college the student newspaper would admonish the student body for such a low turnout. Usually 5-10%. Guess they weren't smart enough to know that most students that voted were not residents and voted at home. Of course, the student newspaper was run by liberals. I guess we shouldn't expect them to be very intelligent.
The college students who are there for several years have an interest in local issues, they should be allowed to vote.

This is about one thing and one thing only. Politcians trying to reduce the amount of college students from voting on campus because they do not like the way they vote or their ideology.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Are they legal residents of the state?
No, and current law doesn't require that. The reaosn for the proposed change is one reason and one reason only. To reduce the amount of college students that can vote on campus because of not liking the way they vote and their ideology. That is the reason for this bill, and its absurd.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The college students who are there for several years have an interest in local issues, they should be allowed to vote.

This is about one thing and one thing only. Politcians trying to reduce the amount of college students from voting on campus because they do not like the way they vote or their ideology.
Pure speculation.

Anyway, no one is taking away the right to vote. Everyone can still vote. You just have to do it where you are a permanent resident.

Did you go to college? It is laughable to think kids on a heavily residential campus care very much about local issues. Unless it is a drinking ordinance.

What if my company temporarily reassigned me to your town for 6 months. There happens to be an election. Something that will raise your taxes. Like for the schools or a new stadium or whetever. You wanna give me the right to vote on that? Even though I am gone, gone, gone when the bill comes due.

People should only be allowed to vote where they are permanent resdients. It's is the biggest no-brainer in the history of earth.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
They are allowed to vote.

And if they want to vote locally, they can take 30 minutes out of their time and establish residency.

I recently moved back to Ohio. It literally took me less than 30 minutes to establish residency. I doubt New Hampshire or other states are much different.

If they care about local issues that much I don't think it's too much to ask for them to be permanent residents. Everyone else has to be a permanent resident. I don't see why a college student should get special treatment.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Pure speculation.

Anyway, no one is taking away the right to vote. Everyone can still vote. You just have to do it where you are a permanent resident.

Did you go to college? It is laughable to think kids on a heavily residential campus care very much about local issues. Unless it is a drinking ordinance.

What if my company temporarily reassigned me to your town for 6 months. There happens to be an election. Something that will raise your taxes. Like for the schools or a new stadium or whetever. You wanna give me the right to vote on that? Even though I am gone, gone, gone when the bill comes due.

People should only be allowed to vote where they are permanent resdients. It's is the biggest no-brainer in the history of earth.
Yes, I went to college (Stony Brook University), college was actually well intertwined with the community. College students are a part of the community, they have the right to vote on issues that impact the community.

As far the part you put from my previous comment in bold about the way the vote and ideology thing being pure speculation. Its pretty obvious its not speculation, its what this whole thing is about.

Quote:
Average taxpayers in college towns, he said, are having their votes "diluted or entirely canceled by those of a huge, largely monolithic demographic group . . . composed of people with a dearth of experience and a plethora of the easy self-confidence that only ignorance and inexperience can produce."

Their "youthful idealism," he added, "is focused on remaking the world, with themselves in charge, of course, rather than with the mundane humdrum of local government."

Talking about inexperience and ignorance and youthful idealism among college voters makes it pretty clear this is about the way college students vote and their ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies