U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 PM

11,319 posts, read 16,873,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
exactly..which is WHY we need a NATIONAL STANDARD

no one is saying a college student (or anyother type of american) cant vote..but there needs to be a STANDARD of what is residency, and a NATIONAL database, so that people can only vote once in one place...

I appluad the congressmen who have the brass to propose this bill, to stop the fraud that goes on
States' Rights ring a bell? Each State decides who is a resident.

I believe you were taught this in high school civics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 02:14 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,249,545 times
Default residency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are lots of different taxes.

If I rent an apartment while I'm going to college, chances are some of MY rent money is being applied towards taxes. I pay taxes when I use a toll road. I pay taxes when I pay my utility bills. I pay sales tax when I purchase things. I pay sin taxes when I buy a bottle of wine.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to decide for myself where my primary residence is? Because I'm a student? That's discrimination. Retirees who have multiple residences get to decide for themselves where their primary residence is, don't they?
What about property taxes. Tolls are paid by everyone going through, has nothing to do with residency. Renting an Apt is moot, as property taxes are paid by the owner of the property, just like the HOTEL you stayed at during your vacation, so even when those taxes are rolled into your rent, or hotel bill, it also doesn't establish residency. Sales taxes are paid wherever you are, when you are traveling from school. to home, you pay taxes on everything in between, even those twinkies from the gas station. Doesn't establish residency, nor do sin taxes on the wine.

Residency means your property taxes, like your CAR's taxes are paid in the locality you have established residency in that city/state. Means that your income taxes are paid to that state, and that your property taxes are paid to that city. That your driver's license shows that as your residence.

If you don't want to perform these actions, and establish residency, then you shouldn't vote and have a say in matters concerning that locality, as you aren't a resident, you are basically a visitor.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:14 PM

18,777 posts, read 14,886,729 times
This is about ONE thing and ONE thing only.

Trying to change the laws regarding how college students can vote, to diminish the chances and their ability to vote on campus for the sole reason that right wing politicos do not like the ideology of college students or how they vote. THAT is what this is about.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This is about ONE thing and ONE thing only.

Trying to change the laws regarding how college students can vote, to diminish the chances and their ability to vote on campus for the sole reason that right wing politicos do not like the ideology of college students or how they vote. THAT is what this is about.
No, its about your imagination running wild. Until you read a little news snippet from New Hampshire yesterday, I doubt you ever even thought of this at all. Have you ever mentioned it here before yesterday? Surely something so egregious was worth mentioning.

Guys like you are always looking for the next Selma. And when you cannot find it, you just conjure it up out of thin air.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM

9,482 posts, read 7,646,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Poll taxes and literacy tests are sad relics of the Jim Crow era.

Poll taxes are explicitly unconstitutional under the Twenty-Fourth Amendment. Literacy tests are almost certainly unconstitutional as well.

As for your "no right to vote" in the constitution, you are very, very (yes, two verys) wrong.

Fourteenth Amendment

Seventeenth Amendment

Nineteenth Amendment

Twenty-Sixth Amendment

Arguing that there is no right to vote in the Constitution is absolutely bewildering.

This seems like yet another example of how those on the right who claim to love the Constitution often have absolutely no idea what it actually stands for, means, or actually says at all.

Those amendments apply to those QUALIFIED to vote. They do not grant you a RIGHT to vote. If voting were a "right" then the govt could not strip the right from felons.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM

18,777 posts, read 14,886,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No, its about your imagination running wild. Until you read a little news snippet from New Hampshire yesterday, I doubt you ever even thought of this at all. Have you ever mentioned it here before yesterday? Surely something so egregious was worth mentioning.

Guys like you are always looking for the next Selma. And when you cannot find it, you just conjure it up out of thin air.
Hmm, perhaps because nothing about changing the law was around until the article yesterday?? Perhaps because GOP sponsor of the bill made it quite clear this was aimed at college students and he didn't like the ideology of college students.

Now this is going nowhere, even if it passes Lynch will veto it.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Hmm, perhaps because nothing about changing the law was around until the article yesterday?? Perhaps because GOP sponsor of the bill made it quite clear this was aimed at college students and he didn't like the ideology of college students.

Now this is going nowhere, even if it passes Lynch will veto it.
Then I cannot believe it matters.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM

39,094 posts, read 23,262,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Voting is linked to Residency. Residency is defined by the various States as they see fit.

A university student spends the majority of time in the state where is college is for a minority period of his life. For a guy, that is 4 years out of a life expectancy of 83 years. During that time, said student is generally dependant on his parents.

Not a great start to redefining residency.
WHO is trying to re-define residency? Hint: it's the authors of the new legislation, not those of us defending the rights of adults to vote where they spend the majority of their time. Just because they aren't going to be there the rest of their lives? Do you plan on states actually asking new residents how long they intend to reside in that state? And if someone only plans on living there a year or two, they shouldn't get to vote? Ridiculous!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,745,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually its a good idea

it says you CAN vote if you(OR your parent) establistes residency(in your NEW LOCATION of your college)..therefore invalidating your PREVIOUS residency...

the reason liberals dont like it , is it will block them from voting twice...the liberal mantra, vote often, in many places, under many names

liberals and voter fraud..two peas in a pod
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/aw_jeez.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-08-2011, 02:28 PM

39,094 posts, read 23,262,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What about property taxes. Tolls are paid by everyone going through, has nothing to do with residency. Renting an Apt is moot, as property taxes are paid by the owner of the property, just like the HOTEL you stayed at during your vacation, so even when those taxes are rolled into your rent, or hotel bill, it also doesn't establish residency. Sales taxes are paid wherever you are, when you are traveling from school. to home, you pay taxes on everything in between, even those twinkies from the gas station. Doesn't establish residency, nor do sin taxes on the wine.

Residency means your property taxes, like your CAR's taxes are paid in the locality you have established residency in that city/state. Means that your income taxes are paid to that state, and that your property taxes are paid to that city. That your driver's license shows that as your residence.

If you don't want to perform these actions, and establish residency, then you shouldn't vote and have a say in matters concerning that locality, as you aren't a resident, you are basically a visitor.
So people who rent apartments and don't own cars don't get to vote? Many college students work and do pay income taxes.

I didn't have a drivers license when I was in college. I didn't own a car. I didn't own a house, I rented an apartment. I was eighteen years old. I voted where I lived. I just didn't happen to live in the same state as my parents. Are you telling me that I should have voted where my parents lived? Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies